• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surrendering your sidearm at a traffic stop

XD45PlusP

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Hmm. So even if it's just a traffic stop, the police can search your car and your person and use anything they find as evidence against you in court? If they can't use a serial number obtained through this method, if you volunteer your gun to the officer does that mean you're volunteering to give him the serial number? If people could incriminate themselves that way, perhaps the miranda rights need to be read - of course, the law doesn't say they should, but maybe the law should be changed.

No, they can't just search your car and your person. You guys really need to read these cases....

For a permissible Terry stop, the State must show (1) the initial stop is legitimate, (2) a reasonable safety concern exists to justify the protective frisk for weapons, and (3) the scope of the frisk is limited to the protective purposes.

The failure of any of these makes the friskunlawful and the evidence seized inadmissible.

To justify a frisk without probable cause to arrest, an officer must have a reasonable belief, based on objective facts, that the suspect is armed and presently dangerous. Collins, 121 Wn.2d at 173. Reasonable belief that the suspect is armed and presently dangerous means, “‘some basis from which the court can determine that the detention was not arbitrary or harassing.’” Officers must have some basis beyond nervousness and lying to justify the intrusion of a frisk.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/?fa=opinions.disp&filename=809411MAJ

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=wa&vol=2008_sc/796904MAJ&invol=4

XD

XD45PlusP

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Thanx xd45....I was looking for those specific cites.

No prob sudden valley gunner...

Arizona v Gant might also be helpful, although that one is from the United States Supreme Court.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/08pdf/07-542.pdf

I feel that it is prudent to mention that Article I Section 7 is stronger in our WA State Constitution than the 4th Amendment.

XD

Johnny Law

imported post

This doc contains some good info regarding the topic of Officer safety. Some of it is a little off topic however. I have posted this twice before and it has to be done in two parts.

kparker

imported post

Johnny Law,

That's interesting information, to be sure, but the particular circumstances in Doc #2 (subject carrying a handgun in his hand, stuffing it into his waistband, then tossing it into the bushes when approached by an officer) is so far from the typical law-abiding OC situation that I'm afraid I don't see the relevance.

VLR4

imported post

Didn't read the entire thread but back in 2001 I was going to be late for workto a job inB-ham. It was about 6:00am in the morning so I decided to speed on I5. Before you guy's give me smack (if you do) I know it isstupidto speed. I got clocked at 100 mph. I passedundera over pass and a stater was there. I didn't even wait for him to come and get me I just pulled right over and waited because I knew he saw me. He pull's up and asked for my license and registration. I handed him my stuff plus my CCWcard. He looks atmy CCW card and asked if I was a Oak Harbor cop. I said no that ismy CCW card.O, he say's. He then asked if my gun was in the car, where it wasand if it was loaded, I said yesit's loaded and it's in the glove box. He asked me to get out of the car and stand at the rear. I did. He took my gun out and asked me to wait there as he went back to his car and ran me. I was sweeting like crazy not because of the gun but I thought I was going to jail for how fast I was going. He come's back and hands me my stuff back then tells me that 70 is alittle to fast to slow down and thanks me for telling him I had a gun in the car then let's me go after he tell's me to have a good day. WOW. I stick with the truth as I have nothing to hide.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
If a weapon is seized for Officer safety (permission isn't necessary) or any other lawful reason,the serial # is now in plain view, and the Officer may run that #, just as he may run your license #, as he is in lawful possession of it.

Remember that Officer safety is NOTreliant onthe elements ofaTerry stop or RAS. It can be enacted anytime, anywhere, for any reason that the Officer deems it necessary, and yes it does temporarily suspend one's rights.
One thing I like about my Security Six, the aftermarket grips do not obscure the serial number, but you have to look at them from the correct angle in order to make out the first digit of the number, it's really easy to miss.:p Not that I give a rip; if I was all worried about a serial number being seen, I'd either carry a blackpowder gun, or get one of those 80% finished 1911 frames.... Or a homebuilt AK pistol:shock:;)

XD45PlusP

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Please, you are far from convincing in your argument. The police officer is not trying to do me or anyone else a "favor" by taking away my gun. They are violating my rights, plain and simple. And a traffic stop is NOT an arrest. Dunno where you are getting such backwards ideas and information. I am being detained in a traffic stop, but until I get dragged out of the car and cuffed, I'm not under arrest. Therefore, they have no right to take my weapon.

And yes, this "police have a right to be safe" is BS. Police do NOT have a right to be safe, they have a right to be armed and protect themselves like everyone else. But I don't get to take away someone else's weapon to insure my safety, neither does that police officer just because he's there.
A traffic stop IS an arrest:

RCW 46.64.015Citation and notice to appear in court — Issuance — Contents — Arrest — Detention.
Whenever any person is arrested for any violation of the traffic laws or regulations which is punishable as a misdemeanor or by imposition of a fine, the arresting officer may serve upon him or her a traffic citation and notice to appear in court. Such citation and notice shall conform to the requirements of RCW 46.64.010, and in addition, shall include spaces for the name and address of the person arrested, the license number of the vehicle involved, the driver's license number of such person, if any, the offense or violation charged, and the time and place where such person shall appear in court. Such spaces shall be filled with the appropriate information by the arresting officer. An officer may not serve or issue any traffic citation or notice for any offense or violation except either when the offense or violation is committed in his or her presence or when a person may be arrested pursuant to RCW 10.31.100, as now or hereafter amended. The detention arising from an arrest under this section may not be for a period of time longer than is reasonably necessary to issue and serve a citation and notice, except that the time limitation does not apply under any of the following circumstances:

(1) Where the arresting officer has probable cause to believe that the arrested person has committed any of the offenses enumerated in RCW 10.31.100(3);

(2) When the arrested person is a nonresident and is being detained for a hearing under RCW 46.64.035.

But, our WA State caselaw, and common law do not share the same reality.

The RCW that you quoted is based upon a Probable Cause Standard, not RAS. Notice the word "May" which means that if the offense commited was based on the certain arrestable traffic offenses under RCW 10.31.100 the officer "May" arrest, or issue a citation. One, or the other....

"Whether pretextual or not, a traffic stop is a "Seizure" for the purpose of constitutional analysis, no matter how brief."

It is "NOT" an arrest. You must look at other RCW's to gauge this, along with legislative intent, and caselaw.

It is the legislative intent in the adoption of this chapter in decriminalizing certain traffic offenses to promote the public safety and welfare on public highways and to facilitate the implementation of a uniform and expeditious system for the disposition of traffic infractions.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.63.010

It is a traffic infraction for any person to violate any of the provisions of this title unless violation is by this title or other law of this state declared to be a felony, a gross misdemeanor, or a misdemeanor.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.64.050

You might want to read State v Ladson

In State vHehman, 90 Wn.2d 45, 50, 578 P.2d 527 our first postincorporation divergence from federal precedent, we rejected Robinson and Gustafson and the Supreme Court's abandonment of the no-pretext rule. In Hehman the issue was whether a search incident-to-an-arrest for a minor traffic stop was valid. Hehman not only rejected the recent federal cases«7» but reaffirmed the pretext rule in Washington and further held under state public policy minor traffic stops could not support an arrest at all because "'the risk of pretext arrests is heightened.'" Hehman

One consideration in decriminalizing the traffic code was to prevent police from using traffic infractions to arrest the motorist as a pretext to search. On this point the Washington courts and Legislature agree. The police practice of using the decriminalized traffic code to stop motorists for Terry stops is no different. Hehman prohibits it.

We conclude the citizens of Washington have held, and are entitled to hold, a constitutionally protected interest against warrantless traffic stops or seizures on a mere pretext to dispense with the warrant when the true reason for the seizure is not exempt from the warrant requirement. We therefore hold pretextual traffic stops violate article I, section 7, because they are seizures absent the "authority of law" which a warrant would bring. CONST. art. I, § 7.

Based on In STATE v. HEHMAN, 90 Wn.2d 45, 47, 578 P.2d 1527 (1978), the court held as a matter of public policy custodialarrest for a minor traffic violation is unjustified, unwarranted, and impermissible if the defendant signs the promise to appear contained in a citation. SEE former RCW 46.64.015. The court refused to uphold the custodialarrest of Mr. Hehman for driving with an expired driver's license in the absence of other circumstances justifying the arrest.

(Now negated by not having to sign ticket) http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2005-06/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Law%202006/1650-S.SL.pdf

Since HEHMAN, the Legislature has decriminalized mosttraffic offenses. It is the seriousness of the offense and the attending circumstances that justify the arrestrather than whether the violation is designated a misdemeanor or a trafficinfraction. As noted in HEHMAN.

The State argues that thearrest may be upheld under RCW 10.31.100(4) which permits an officer investigating the scene of an accident toarrest the driver of a vehicle if the officer has probable cause to believe the driver has committed a violation of a trafficlaw in connection with the accident. We decline to accept this argument. The court in HEHMAN considered the forerunner of this statute, RCW 46.64.017, along with its counterparts, RCW 46.64.010, .015 and .030, when it rendered its decision. It is illogical to uphold thearrest under one section and not another when the violation remains the same.

Here are the cases.

57 Wn. App. 556, STATE v. BARAJAS

138 Wn.2d 343, STATE v. LADSON

90 Wn.2d 45, STATE v. HEHMAN

http://srch.mrsc.org:8080/wacourts/template.htm?view=main

XD

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

My only problem with "officer safety" is that it has become a catch-all excuse. I've stood and chatted with cops while carrying and they didn't bat an eye, and under similar circumstances and demeanor have them disarm me because they "didn't feel comfortable talking to people with guns" (Hint to SPD, if you are gonna' do this, make sure you empty the chamber of a semi auto after taking the mag and leaving within arms reach of the person you are "not detaining", otherwise you've just rendered your entire exercise moot.)

If an officer is having a bad day, doesn't like armed citizens, or simply feels like playing Harvey Hardass, they will use officer safety as the excuse. Yes there are plenty of times when it is justified, but I can think of two or three times in my own personal experience where it was a piss poor excuse, unless eating cookies and reading a book is a RAS of potential violence. But in the end, that is what the internal complaint process is for. I'd rather sit here complaining about the big bad policeman taking my handgun for a few minutes than be in Iran and wishing I had a handgun, while the government tools were shooting at me and telling me I can't complain.

With enough discussion between all parties and maybe even a legal action or two, the role between officer and citizen will get further refined. We see that just recently with the Washington Supreme Court carefully defining the extent to which a person can be patted down. All in all I'd say we have it pretty damn good, and at least personally, the disarmings are few and far between.

XD45PlusP

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
XD45plusP - According to that, traffic stops aren't arrests, so officers have no justification for any kind of search or temporary confiscation?
Generally in WA State, unless you give them Consent, or there are certain Exigent Circumstances,coupled withProbable Cause. Or they have a warrant that is based on Probable Cause. Plain View, Then no. (Narrowly drawn exceptions)

But, I wouldn't argue with them on the road about the legalities necessarily. But, I would not consent to anything...

XD

ScottyDog

imported post

I carry all my registration info in a document holder on my visor. That way I never have to open my glovebox. I also keep my wallet there while driving.

You are under zero obligation to even talk to the police when you are pulled over. Just provide your papers as required by law, keep your doors locked, and windows up far enough so you can exchange papers.

If asked to step out, lock your vehicle. Remain silent! Too many people bury themselves thinking talking alot will impress the LEO. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER lie to a cop, period, thats why I say just keep it zipped.

Never give permission to search, even if you dont have anything to hide.

I must admit the two times Ive been pulled over I never had anything but good experience. One was in Lynnwood, and the other was in Terrace. The LPD and I actually had a cool gun coversation for about 35 minutes once. lol He was having a slow night.

Anyway, its a personal judgment call. As firearms owners I think we have a better sense of people because we know about situational awareness. If you detect a hostile cop, then do the silent thing. Other than that I've never had any problems.

Just my 2 cents...

ScottyDog

imported post

Hope you don't think I was trying to pick a fight or anything, and I agree about not being a test case. :D

*Handshake* and I thank you for serving and protecting our country.

antispam540

imported post

I'm not normally so pushy either - the law gives (usually) nice, clean boundaries that make me feel happy, and it worries me when those boundaries somehow become unclear. Thanks for helping explain it a little more :)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
For me, it all boils down to this:

The US Supreme Court in Terry V Ohio says that if an officer detains me with RAS, as in I am detained because I was speeding or some other traffic violation that he saw, AND he has RAS that I am armed, as in he asks me if I have a weapon and I say yes or I give him my CPL, he has the right to disarm me.

If the officer detains me without RAS, as in a mwag call and all I am doing is lawfully carrying a gun in a holster, and he wants to disarm me without reason to detain me, which he now has no legal basis to do, then, depending on the circumstances, I will more times than not ask him if I am free to leave and walk away.

I am not going to be the test case to attempt to get Terry V Ohio overruled. End of story for me, this is one discussion I am out of.
Thats why you don't volunteer you are armed and you are not required to hand over cpl unless asked to, and he has to have reason to ask. He still has no right to run your gun serial numbers.

FMCDH

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
OK, OK, I'll toss one more in here. Thanks, everyone! And you are correct in any case he has no legal basis to check the serial number.
LOL, Thanks LT, you just won me $20 ;)

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
OK, OK, I'll toss one more in here. Thanks, everyone! And you are correct in any case he has no legal basis to check the serial number.

But is there any law or court ruling that says they can't?

As wefrequently point out in defending OC, laws aren't made to allow something, they are made to disallow something.

If there is nothing saying it can't be done, then it can beand doesn't need anything "authorizing" it.

Johnny Law

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
If you are being detained because of a mwag call, and you are merely openly carrying a firearm, then neither the detainment nor ANY action relating to your firearm including seizure for officer protection or gathering of evidence is justified and is in violation of the 4th amendment. A cop who wants to talk to you, without grounds for detainment, cannot legally disarm you just to talk to you.

We're up to $60 now, dang it.
This would be true typically, butNOT if the Officer had information from dispatch (witness) who was alleging that a crime may have occured. The problem is that the OC'er cannot know what info the Officer is working with, so just assuming that it is is a 4th amendment violation would be a mistake, even if the OC'er knows he has committed no crime, the Officer can't possibly know this at a glance. The Officer still has the right and obligation to investigate, and may detain and disarm if he feels it necessary.