• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surry County Prohibition on Loaded firearms

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
why pay a lawyer for such a case .. seems open and shut ...

pro se ....

Bcause if you had been paying attention the point is to get te county to pay attorney fees and costs. It's the only way to spank them.

Yes, getting the ordinance repealed as void would be a nice benefit.

stay safe.

scouser

Gotta protect the pork doncha know :p
Any that you might recommend, presuming that Mr. Hawes was not available?

Heard that the Surrey House Restaurant has closed - damn shame, will miss it.
http://www.surreyhouserestaurant.com/

Yet the Virginia Diner in Wakefield remains open....no accounting for some people's taste.

Yelp says that Surrey House is due to reopen March 21 2015

As for the place in Wakefield still being open, well compare the locations, Surrey House is kind of out of the way whereas the other has all the potential passing trade on 460, as well as the advertizing boards that count down the miles until you get there, building up the anticipation and causing the "can we go there, can we, can we?" cries from the back seat like a small scale version of South of the Border

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
And you wouldn't have to sue them in Surry Circuit Ct. - the Va. Sup. Ct. has original jurisdiction to issue writs of prohibition (an order to public officials not to do something they shouldn't). Problem in filing suit always boils down to money.

FBrinson

Once again, this thread lives!

Surry County's current code reads:

Sec. 20-66. - Weapons—Firearms not to be carried, or in vehicle, when loaded; enforcement provisions.
(a)
Except as otherwise provided by law, no person shall have in his possession or under his control, or have in any vehicle in which he may be in charge or have in control, any loaded shotgun, rifle or other firearm while he or such vehicle is upon any public street in the county, or, while either is unlawfully upon the land of another; provided, that law enforcement officers, and members of the armed forces of the United States or the military forces of this state when acting under competent orders, shall be excepted; and provided, further, that such person who shall be able to show at the time apprehended that his possession of the loaded firearm was required or reasonably necessary, under the then appearing circumstances, for the protection of his person or family from bodily injury or his property from serious damage by another shall also be excepted.

I don't think this code is enforced but just seeing it is still current code is a bit chilling.. Depending on my workload, I should be at the Surry Co. BOS meeting on 12-3 and can address this. I still have not moved my residency from Henrico to Surry as my house is not complete yet, but I would assume that land owners are allowed to speak during the public comments period. Any insight would be beneficial.
Also, I need to lean on someone with experience with filing a Writ of Mandamus.

va_tazdad

Poindexter will use good judgment enforcing it.:lol:

Thanks buddy. I just spent 20 minutes cleaning the coffee off my computer and the furniture that I blew out while reading that comment.

I will remember it. ;>) Poindexter is about as useful as the F-35 POS the gubermant is wasting $$$ building.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
anyone around this thread actually live in surry co, or actually drive through it regularly? alternatively, the VCDL would be a good plaintiff, the statute allows for organizations representing affected people to file. be good to do it in Richmond, I think, writ of prohibition. statute allows for award of attorney fees. it'd be interesting to see what the va sup ct thinks is "reasonable" with respect to that statute.

btw, for as long as this thread's been up, have they taken any action at all to mend their evil ways?

Last edited:

FBrinson

anyone around this thread actually live in surry co, or actually drive through it regularly? alternatively, the VCDL would be a good plaintiff, the statute allows for organizations representing affected people to file. be good to do it in Richmond, I think, writ of prohibition. statute allows for award of attorney fees. it'd be interesting to see what the va sup ct thinks is "reasonable" with respect to that statute.

btw, for as long as this thread's been up, have they taken any action at all to mend their evil ways?

I'm moving to Surry County and should be settled in by the end of the year.

VCDL President

Centurion
Working this

User brought this thread to my attention. I have just got off the phone with the Surry County Attorney (Williams Hespy), pointed him at Sec 20-66, then at 15.2-915. I told him that the ordinance was not enforceable, but it could still end up in a false arrest and just as bad would chill the rights of someone reading the ordinance, not knowing it wasn't valid.

He said he would look at the code section to confirm and would then put a suggested repeal in front of the Board of Supervisors.

Tosta Dojen

User brought this thread to my attention. I have just got off the phone with the Surry County Attorney (Williams Hespy), pointed him at Sec 20-66, then at 15.2-915. I told him that the ordinance was not enforceable, but it could still end up in a false arrest and just as bad would chill the rights of someone reading the ordinance, not knowing it wasn't valid.

He said he would look at the code section to confirm and would then put a suggested repeal in front of the Board of Supervisors.

The County Attorney has had over a year to look things over, and Surry County Code §20-66 still reads exactly the same.

I've reviewed the minutes of the Board of Supervisors for all the meetings that took place in 2016 or so far in 2017. I've found no evidence that any repeal or modification of the offending section was ever considered.

I also haven't been able to find anything on the "Williams Hespy," named above. Does anybody have current contact information for him?

Is that ordinance still in effect?

I think this is a clear violation of 15.2-915. Organizations like VCDL have standing under that statute to file suit on behalf of members and persons similarly situated. It provides for an award of attorneys' fees. I think we should file suit for writs of mandamus and prohibition invoking the original jurisdiction of the Va Sup Ct. If VCDL isn't interested, one could easily create an organization for the promotion of the interests of persons who openly carry firearms. Thing is, there are costs associated with doing that, such as filing fees, service of process, etc.

If you're serious about creating an organization that focuses on litigation, sign me up. I feel that we've too often failed to follow through with bureaucrats who ignore our polite requests.

I've learned, over the years, that there are some people who are just not worth trying to be nice to. And the folks in Surry County have pretty much demonstrated to me that they are such people. Also, "to the man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail", and I'm a litigator. I'd have been inclined to just go ahead and file the suit. Actually, what I was thinking of was a petition in the Sup. Ct. for a writ of prohibition(don't try to enforce that statute) and mandamus (do your job, public officials!).

I don't think I have standing as a plaintiff, or else I'd volunteer in that capacity, but I agree that it's time to file suit. It seems to me that a declaratory judgment proceeding would be more fitting, though, wouldn't it?