• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Swatting" - Anyone have this happen to them?

Freedom1Man

BUCKO, welcome to the philosophically eclectic and sometimes eccentric membership of OCDO...myself, excluded of course [emoji14]

ipse
Yeah, you were never welcomed in. You snuck in under guise of being that other guys friend and so far you have just survived.

😜

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Fallschirjmäger

....Can we get back to the issue at hand, anyone have any other experiences or can post any other links to this happening?
Indeed, let's get back to the subject.

My feeling is that due to the long history of open carry in Aridzona (in fact, open carry being the Only way to legally carry there for a number of years) that law enforcement is not overly concerned about something they've nearly since forever.

I used to ride a mountain bike on a regular basis whilst living in Sierra Vista and had a grand total of One conversation with the local gendarmes. He passed me while I had my shotgun strapped to the handlebars on my way out to a dry creek to go shooting one day. His reason why was that someone had called and said I was 'pointing a shotgun in their direction as they were walking'. We both observed that my firearm was quite properly secured to the forks on my handlebars and after a little confab we agreed that it might cause less trouble if the muzzle were pointed away from any pedestrians even if that meant that many more times it would be pointed towards any passing cars. I switched it off and pedalled off to continue my fun and all was right with the world again.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Indeed, let's get back to the subject.

My feeling is that due to the long history of open carry in Aridzona (in fact, open carry being the Only way to legally carry there for a number of years) that law enforcement is not overly concerned about something they've nearly since forever.

I used to ride a mountain bike on a regular basis whilst living in Sierra Vista and had a grand total of One conversation with the local gendarmes. He passed me while I had my shotgun strapped to the handlebars on my way out to a dry creek to go shooting one day. His reason why was that someone had called and said I was 'pointing a shotgun in their direction as they were walking'. We both observed that my firearm was quite properly secured to the forks on my handlebars and after a little confab we agreed that it might cause less trouble if the muzzle were pointed away from any pedestrians even if that meant that many more times it would be pointed towards any passing cars. I switched it off and pedalled off to continue my fun and all was right with the world again.
A vertical mount (scabbard on the fork?) might have worked better.

solus

Yeah, you were never welcomed in. You snuck in under guise of being that other guys friend and so far you have just survived.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

and free, et al., ya'l never know if or when i might walk and share my smile amongst you and your evergreen brethren or show up at your OC breakfast mtgs or your outdoor booths or rally(s) or in your neighbourhood(s) throughout the state...:eek:

ipse

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Swat[t]ing

My wife just read about "swat[t]ing". I now recall that a few years ago one of the major gun groups (Brady?) was so irrationally furious about the rising popularity of OC that they suggested their members, upon seeing someone with a gun, yell "He's got a gun, Oh my God, he has a gun! Call the police!" Evidently, this gambit was supposed to embarrass or worry the OC'er enough that he quit OC'ing, and that he has to explain himself to the police, amid the scoffs of the onlookers. This has never happened to me after nearly a decade of carrying. I think it is unlikely that such a thing would happen here in VA, but even if it did, no one would be likely to call 911 just because of one screamer. They'd more likely ask me what type of pistol I am carrying, and whether I like it. If police actually arrived, I would try to get the screamer charged with disturbing the peace, as well as knowingly misusing 911, which is a crime. Wouldn't it be fun to go to that person's hearing?

solus

Ah so, but 'tis not until after the fact that we know whether it was a positive thing or another Et tu, Brute moment :uhoh: :lol:

alas milord moderator, one must always presume twas a good comment, private tho as presented and appropriately received and acknowledged by said receiver(s)...

milord, by your leave...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
alas milord moderator, one must always presume twas a good comment, private tho as presented and appropriately received and acknowledged by said receiver(s)...

milord, by your leave...

ipse
Stand and receive your due reward.