• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Target Speaks: No Guns

DON`T TREAD ON ME

To me, the biggest exposure one would have is having an ambitious Target employee make a call like the Costco incident. We know how much misinformation there is out there, I do not feel it wise to believe anyone knows the law, Or put it past someone to embellish an accusation.

turborich

I don't shop at Target so I'm not missing anything. I don't understand how Target is in business to be very honest.

varminter22

Two Robberies at Target Since Chain Asked Law-Abiding Citizens to Shop Unarmed

by AWR Hawkins
9 Jul 2014

On July 2 Breitbart News reported that interim Target CEO John Mulligan "respectfully" asked law-abiding citizens not to bring their guns in Target stores.

Since then, Gainesville, Georgia, police have arrested three over a Target parking lot robbery and are looking for another man who punched a woman and stole her Mercedes at a Decatur, Georgia, Target as well.

Just days after Target's request ...

Read article at:
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...in-Asked-Law-Abiding-Citizens-To-Shop-Unarmed

garand_guy

I don't shop at Target so I'm not missing anything. I don't understand how Target is in business to be very honest.

Target is what they have where there are no Walmarts. I had it at home and I liked it. Not an everything under the sun store, but enough to get what you need.

I OC'd today. The security guard walked by me three times and said nothing. It wasn't until I walked out that he looked at me, and then there wasn't anything special about the look (but my strong side was away).

Shoot, I made an extra trip to Target to protest their non-ban ban.

MKEgal

Target said:
starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law."
Pretty clear: we don't want your kind here.
I don't care how much they try to weasel out of what they said in their official statement, they've told us to stay away.

garand_guy said:
I shopped there today, specifically BECAUSE of their stupid statement. I do it to piss Target off
Because that's such an adult response to being told you're not wanted... :cuss:

DVC said:
It will be interesting to see if there is anything said the next time I go into Target.
I am not willing to shop at Target if they demand that I become one.
They have already told you they don't want your business - they don't want people with guns in their stores.

Nothing will happen when you go to Target.
Just like nothing happens when you go into a Starbucks.
dbacks_Nation said:
They assured me that they were told that it is a request that we do not bring them, but if we do we will not be requested to remove them, leave the store, conceal them, or have any issues while we are in the store carrying our firearms.
... So looks like business as usual.
Turbod'1 said:
I actually went to the Target on Green Valley this evening because I needed a carry on bag: Several employees including the Security Guard noticed but not a word was said.
For all of you who say you're shopping there (or any other anti-rights store), WHY??
The company doesn't respect your civil rights and has very clearly & publicly told you you're not welcome.
Why would you give them your money?

MAC702 said:
Correct. Even a big sign on the front door does not count as legal notice.
Depends on the state.

WalkingWolf

It is a personal choice if a person wants to continue to shop at Target, I will not. On one hand why give Target money for caving to pressure instead of telling the loons to pound sand. On the other hand open carrying in a Target will drive these loons into a rage that Target did not ban guns.

People who carry just have to make that choice for themselves of what is more important. Not rewarding Target, or P**ing off the loons.

Last edited:

Turbod'1

For all of you who say you're shopping there (or any other anti-rights store), WHY??
The company doesn't respect your civil rights and has very clearly & publicly told you you're not welcome.
Why would you give them your money?

Because, the way I look at it, these stores never asked for the attention and while they have taken a stand that appeases the anti's, they've created a policy without teeth with no actual intent to enforce. By carrying in such a place one reaffirms the normalcy of carry.

That said, places with 'No weapons' signs (legal or not) clearly establish the business as anti carry and I WILL NOT offer them any business.

The real problem here is the states that only allow the open carry of long guns (as cool a NV is with OC, it might be quite different were we walking around with AR-15s) and activists (on either side) who use a business as a stage.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This is what Target has promulgated, regardless of how effectively:
Target said:
July 2nd 2014: "Starting today we respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law."

"This is a complicated issue, but it boils down to a simple belief: Bringing firearms to Target creates an environment that is at odds with the family-friendly shopping and work experience we strive to create."

This has the exact same legal standing (in Nevada) as any sign on the door. If I didn't know their policy, I'd shop there if they had anything I needed. But because I KNOW THEIR ATTITUDE (more important than knowing their policy) they do not DESERVE our business.

They are not stupid people. They know the difference between long guns that have brought the issue to a front in some states and handguns that have been carried normally in their stores in many states. They CHOSE to include ALL firearms in their "request."

Shop there or don't, it's everyone's call to make on their own. But don't rationalize it to me.

garand_guy

I've been shopping at Walmart more. :uhoh:

Side note, but does anyone (else) remember when Kmart still sold guns?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I remember my dad almost putting a couple Remington 870 Express shotguns on layaway from our local K-Mart for me and my brother. He had a Remington 870 Wingmaster. After seeing the extremely low finish quality of the Express, though, he passed. I later got an Ithaca 37 and it's been one my favorite shotguns ever.

Our K-Mart had a lumber department back then, too, and a restaurant inside.

I grew up only one block away.

Last edited:

28kfps

Yep. But, could the presence of the sign, coupled with the CEO's verbal request that we don't enter the stores OCing, make a trespass case if we do enter OCing? Scenario: we see the sign, which has no legal bearing by itself, and enter the store. We are arrested for OCing inside the store for trespass. The prosecutor files because he construes the CEO's verbal request not to enter the store OCing as legal notice in advance. The sign+CEO's advanced verbal request not to enter while OCing= Trespass. That's my question.

"could the presence of the sign, coupled with the CEO's verbal request that we don't enter the stores OCing, make a trespass case if we do enter OCing?" I have a part time job and we have trespass persons however never for a firearm. One really has to be a real idiot to get themselves arrested for trespassing. In the situation you mention being trespass even-though you did not enter the facility though still on the property I guess possible to be arrested for trespassing however I believe unlikely depending on the trespassers behavior.

When we decided to trespass a person and call one of the LEOs working our event we cannot just point a finger at the person and say trespass them out come the cuffs and away to jail they go. Metro will question us on why, and will ask if we gave them a warning. Most of the time when Metro arrives if they calm down and agree to leave the trespass is not issued. The ones we do have trespassed usually been asked several times to leave. Seen Metro handle it two different ways if we say yes we want them trespass. Metro writes them up takes their info and tells them to get off the property. If they really act a fool out comes the cuffs.
Also if Metro is call even if the person is a total angry idiot and only committed an trespassing issue and leaves before Metro arrives they are home free. That also works for us. We really do not want them arrested just want them to leave.
I believe it is worth (maybe not by much) letting them know they are running costumers off and the majority of business do follow our local laws. In any case just leave before LEOs get there.

WalkingWolf

I remember my dad almost putting a couple Remington 870 Express shotguns on layaway from our local K-Mart for me and my brother. He had a Remington 870 Wingmaster. After seeing the extremely low finish quality of the Express, though, he passed. I later got an Ithaca 87 and it's been one my favorite shotguns ever.

Our K-Mart had a lumber department back then, too, and a restaurant inside.

I grew up only one block away.

Kmart sold handguns when I was growing up, that stopped sometime in the 80's I think.