• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tasers - An Electronics Tech's Opinion

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

SFCRetired

While I still have my doubts about the less-than-lethal rating of the taser, I will leave that alone for the moment.

If I stipulate that the device is an excellent tool for the preservation of human life when properly used, then would you all agree that the larger part of the problem is the human element?

Quite frankly, I would like to see every single law enforcement agency in the country subject to Citizen Review Boards, chosen much as jurors are chosen, with an independent legal adviser and with the authority to sanction, up to and including termination of employment, those officers found to be guilty of any of the abuses of authority that have been documented. An officer sanctioned by such a review board would not be eligible for a review by a Civil Service board, but would be eligible, at his/her own expense, for a review by an appeals court in his/her state.

Additionally, any officer found to have abused his/her authority to the level of meriting termination should be, as a part of the process, be required to surrender whatever certification his state requires of law enforcement officers and be permanently barred from law enforcement work.

I can almost hear the police unions howling now!!

If we are honest, both LEOs and non-LEOs will admit that there are men and women who should never be trusted with authority.

Fuller Malarkey

While I still have my doubts about the less-than-lethal rating of the taser, I will leave that alone for the moment.

If I stipulate that the device is an excellent tool for the preservation of human life when properly used, then would you all agree that the larger part of the problem is the human element?

Quite frankly, I would like to see every single law enforcement agency in the country subject to Citizen Review Boards, chosen much as jurors are chosen, with an independent legal adviser and with the authority to sanction, up to and including termination of employment, those officers found to be guilty of any of the abuses of authority that have been documented. An officer sanctioned by such a review board would not be eligible for a review by a Civil Service board, but would be eligible, at his/her own expense, for a review by an appeals court in his/her state.

Additionally, any officer found to have abused his/her authority to the level of meriting termination should be, as a part of the process, be required to surrender whatever certification his state requires of law enforcement officers and be permanently barred from law enforcement work.

I can almost hear the police unions howling now!!

If we are honest, both LEOs and non-LEOs will admit that there are men and women who should never be trusted with authority.

+1!

[video]http://replygif.net/i/716.gif[/video]

Kirbinator

Ground wire not needed, the current crosses the path only of the prongs. Just the mesh would short it out.

These suits are already made; they are used for prison guards and for work on high-voltage power lines from helicopter.

Also, one could do the same by wearing chainmail just as well, which is mostly puncture resistant, does block some X-rays, sets off all metal detectors, and produces interesting results at "security checks" -- would you ask someone to disrobe? (Sure, it's OK to be mostly naked here, but if you step past the barricade, you're getting an indecency citation.)

Kirbinator

Just speaking for myself, I think part of the problem is that our government has decided to allow the police officer tremendous latitude with determining the totality of the circumstances when arrests are made, and how force is used.

When questions arise, it is the same government that created the regulations/laws then "investigates" and determines if the officer is at fault. All the while, the laws are written such that if the LAC (remember, innocent until proven guilty in court is the golden standard) is obligated to comply with all orders (at least in the PR of NC) and is not allowed to resist at all. Any guilt would be determined many months after the offense against the LAC by the same government that levels the charges, presents testimony and determines the application of the law. The ONLY relief valves available to LAC are the ballot box (dubious at best) and jury nullification.

Comply with all orders, answer no questions and somehow know when and what is a lie to provoke the detainee into violating his right to silence. No, never a conflict of interests in communications with a representative of the government....