• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taxwhat running for sheriff !

TheQ

Let's not forget -- some guy is running for County Government in Ingham. What was his name again...?

I've never heard a story of this Ingham guy shooting a dog (though I'm told his father did once) or putting one on the roof if his car for 12 hours on a trip to Ontario.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Let's not forget -- some guy is running for County Government in Ingham. What was his name again...?

I'll give you a hint... look at your drivers license. :D:cool:

Since many like myself cannot spell your last name.. Hasslehoff, Hindenburg..? Could you post a link to (his) website / facebook page(s)?

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

And I've reviewed the rest of mine and his back-and-forth. Sorry, I see the balance of disproportionality as squarely in his court.

I can see where it 'went wrong', so to speak... not really on topic or useful to talk about but suffice it to say I think it was a simple miscommunication of tone/ideas. Its hard to interpret emphasis in text.

Unrelated to my previous statement, Ezerharden's question remains unanswered. While I know Mr. Jay personally, I do not know enough about his platform to answer, so I do not wish to provide inaccurate information. Hopefully someone better versed will do so.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A dog killer or a democrat? I would choose the dog killer.

Really if 4 folks are running and 3 are democrats, he may have a chance....

DanM

I can see where it 'went wrong', so to speak...Unrelated to my previous statement, Ezerharden's question remains unanswered.

Sure, miscommunication can and does occur, and I'm not innocent of that in my past either. I have no big deal with Ezerharden, and I hope he doesn't with me. I did try to look up some "official" platform stuff Jan might have out there. Didn't find anything.

Here's what I know about Jan, over the past few years reading posts about his activities and news articles from time-to-time:
--He OC's.
--He's a fierce supporter of OC.
--He is very knowledgeable about what is going on in his community.
--He's been involved as a citizen watchdog in his community.
--He holds his local government's feet to the fire when they're screwing up.
--Some in his local government do not like him, because of the last two facts.

I am a person who is concerned about overseeing our government and calling them out if need be. If I were a Monroe county voter, I would vote for Jan Jay, having the sense I do about him over the past few years I've been exposed to information about him.

detroit_fan

A dog killer or a democrat? I would choose the dog killer.

Really if 4 folks are running and 3 are democrats, he may have a chance....

Democrats in Monroe county for the most part are not anti-gun. Our current sheriff is a democrat and has not tried to curb gun rights at all here. My previous state rep was a democrat and very pro-gun, even sponsoring 2A bills.

I spoke to Mr Jay's opponent in person recently, he was pretty pro-gun, and even took out an ad in the local paper to tell everyone how much he supported our CPL law. I asked him about his support for OC and he said he supported that too.

I don't know Mr. Jay, all I know is that he is kinda unpopular around here from the dog incident (not saying he did anything wrong, I'm not familiar with the facts in that incident). Jay's opponent has some money behind him and a lot of support from LE groups, while I have not heard 1 peep out of Jay's campaign. If I was handicapping this race I would say that Jay has a big hole to dig out of if he wants to be competitive.

Last edited:

Ezerharden

Sure, miscommunication can and does occur, and I'm not innocent of that in my past either. I have no big deal with Ezerharden, and I hope he doesn't with me. I did try to look up some "official" platform stuff Jan might have out there. Didn't find anything.

Here's what I know about Jan, over the past few years reading posts about his activities and news articles from time-to-time:
--He OC's.
--He's a fierce supporter of OC.
--He is very knowledgeable about what is going on in his community.
--He's been involved as a citizen watchdog in his community.
--He holds his local government's feet to the fire when they're screwing up.
--Some in his local government do not like him, because of the last two facts.

I am a person who is concerned about overseeing our government and calling them out if need be. If I were a Monroe county voter, I would vote for Jan Jay, having the sense I do about him over the past few years I've been exposed to information about him.

I have no personal issues with DanM either. Thanks for the info, it is a start.

TheQ

Democrats in Monroe county for the most part are not anti-gun. Our current sheriff is a democrat and has not tried to curb gun rights at all here. My previous state rep was a democrat and very pro-gun, even sponsoring 2A bills.

I spoke to Mr Jay's opponent in person recently, he was pretty pro-gun, and even took out an ad in the local paper to tell everyone how much he supported our CPL law. I asked him about his support for OC and he said he supported that too.

I don't know Mr. Jay, all I know is that he is kinda unpopular around here from the dog incident (not saying he did anything wrong, I'm not familiar with the facts in that incident). Jay's opponent has some money behind him and a lot of support from LE groups, while I have not heard 1 peep out of Jay's campaign. If I was handicapping this race I would say that Jay has a big hole to dig out of if he wants to be competitive.

Not to mention a chief law enforcement officer who is no where physical fitness for actual law enforcement duty. Not trying to be mean, but it's hard to run down a bad guy from your electric motor scooter.

It's just the facts of the circumstances.

I understand running isn't always about winning, and I respect what he's doing. He's getting a nice seat on the County Party executive committee for the next two years -- good stuff. With the likes of Richardville from that County and being on the same committee, it's not a bad place to be!

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Not to mention a chief law enforcement officer who is no where physical fitness for actual law enforcement duty. Not trying to be mean, but it's hard to run down a bad guy from your electric motor scooter.

It's just the facts of the circumstances.

I understand running isn't always about winning, and I respect what he's doing. He's getting a nice seat on the County Party executive committee for the next two years -- good stuff. With the likes of Richardville from that County and being on the same committee, it's not a bad place to be!

Above all the sheriff is an administrator, not a street officer. I'm sure there have been sheriffs in wheelchairs somewhere. And Jan is a retired LEO and was the chief of a small police department. So playing the handicapped card is moot.

DanM

Above all the sheriff is an administrator, not a street officer. I'm sure there have been sheriffs in wheelchairs somewhere. And Jan is a retired LEO and was the chief of a small police department. So playing the handicapped card is moot.

I'm with Venator on there totally not being a point about a Sheriff's or a Police Chief's physical capacities. Above all, in my mind, a Sheriff's or Police Chief's MAIN QUALIFICATIONS are her/his mental fitness and mental toughness to ensure her/his agency:
#1: Obeys the oath to the constitutions that they swore to.
#2: Hires and retains 100% professionally competent officers.
#3: Fires officers who violate #1 or #2, and actively assists in prosecuting them if warranted.

Last edited:

wardog4life

I haven't read all the post's in regards to Tax. However knowing some of his past antics, personality and dress code. I would not want him as the sheriff where I live. Just my .2 My only question in his running is that , will he be running in the same sweat pants? Going to work in them? Do they make velcro dress shoes? Are compression socks standard issue for the sheriffs department?

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I haven't read all the post's in regards to Tax. However knowing some of his past antics, personality and dress code. I would not want him as the sheriff where I live. Just my .2 My only question in his running is that , will he be running in the same sweat pants? Going to work in them? Do they make velcro dress shoes? Are compression socks standard issue for the sheriffs department?

Wow thanks for your twenty cents? My understandind is he wears the items you speak of due to medical conditions. I am sure if he wins he would have special uniforms made at his own cost. I hope you never get sick. We wouldn't want people making fun of your .... fill in the blanks.:rolleyes:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Wow thanks for your twenty cents? My understandind is he wears the items you speak of due to medical conditions. I am sure if he wins he would have special uniforms made at his own cost. I hope you never get sick. We wouldn't want people making fun of your .... fill in the blanks.:rolleyes:

Many sheriffs, wear dress suits and some dress casual. Not all wear uniforms.

Jay was at the SB-59 rally and talked a bit about how he would run the department. All his ideas were sound and would increase the department services and save money. He is also the kind of guy that doesn't play politics and will not be held to anyone as he does not accept contributions to his campaign.

He also would make the office more open to the public and be above board in his dealings with the department and the citizens. Sounds like a good plan to me.

wardog4life

Its not a matter of making fun of anyone?...My post consists of honest questions. You state he doesn’t play politics. I beg to differ through my own experience’s with him directly and his allegiance to the unsighted UFO. If a person is to sick or medically restricted to put on a pair of slacks or jeans. Then how could that person expect the public to think he could run a county sheriff's department?

DanM

If a person is to sick or medically restricted to put on a pair of slacks or jeans. Then how could that person expect the public to think he could run a county sheriff's department?

Wow. Ability to put on slacks or jeans = competency to be sheriff.

C'mon, man, think about what you are saying. I'm not saying there isn't a counter-argument to those supporting Jan, but that isn't it.

Last edited:

Ezerharden

Jay was at the SB-59 rally and talked a bit about how he would run the department. All his ideas were sound and would increase the department services and save money. He is also the kind of guy that doesn't play politics and will not be held to anyone as he does not accept contributions to his campaign.

Wish I had known that, would have loved to have talked to him.

SpringerXDacp

There are full-time police officers across the US who work every day, and not just behind a desk, that have artificial limbs. In my opinion, even a paraplegic could fulfil his or her responsibilities as a sheriff.

wardog4life

I just feel if someone is willing to play the part of such a high profile public figure, shouldn't they dress the part as well? Acting as a professional and looking like one are two totally different things. In every instance I have seen Jan speak and attend at various events its always the same, I'll be nice. Less then stellar attire. For his own sake if he wants the general public to take him seriously in this race...He will present himself as a professional and not some broke down, retire. Nothing in regards to his physical capacity "Should" effect his performance as a desk sheriff if that's the type of Sheriff he plans or is restricted to be...