• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tea Party Leader Shocked by Arrest on Gun Charges at LaGuardia Airport

PavePusher

This suggestion, while a smart idea, kind of limits the travel opportunities for those of us that live in the free territory of Northern New England. Then again, so does travel to Southern New England, so I guess I'm stuck in New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine.

This is why I don't fly into or out of NYC anymore. I'll drive through NYS, carefully avoiding Sodom-on-the-Hudson, and scrupulously obeying the traffic laws. Or, conveniently, SouthWest flys into Manchester, NH, a 75 minute drive to my relatives in the Hanover area, bypassing the entire mess. And I live in Tucson. Simple job transporting firearms through both locations.

It's a shame, really. I also have relatives in NYC, and it was always a fun place to visit... until I started traveling with a sidearm. Damnit.

PavePusher

Lets say your flying and the flight is re-routed due to weather, mechanical, etc. to an airport in a location hostile to individual rights and you'll be forced to spend the night. What do you do?
Do you just not claim your bag and report it missing once you reach your final destination? Take a chance and just rent a car to drive the rest of the way?
I am inclined to take the lesser loss and chance loosing the weapon by not claiming the bag and report it missing once I am in friendly territory.
It seems the best option is to not claim the bag so you will not be in possession of the gun.

While this may be rare Murphy will come into play when you have checked a handgun.

IIRC, NYC will arrest you for that too. Best bet would probably be to keep quite, claim all your bags, go directly to the car rental counter, get in a vehicle and drive cautiously and expeditiously to a friendly state.

Daylen

IIRC, NYC will arrest you for that too. Best bet would probably be to keep quite, claim all your bags, go directly to the car rental counter, get in a vehicle and drive cautiously and expeditiously to a friendly state.

Call a lawyer and have him ready to show up in 5 minutes. If police show up, summon prepped lawyer.

Last edited:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
If this was a "test case", I'd think he would have chosen a better method.

Something like this.

Then you would legally be transporting, with no intervening stops.

A better "Test case" is applying for a carry license and being denied. There is no reason to go for criminal cases at this juncture.