• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teachers with Guns

Johnny Law

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I still think that a single armed teacher with basic handgun proficiency and a vested interest in survival inside the school when something went down is far preferable to 100 armed, highly trained professionals outside the school ten minutes after the shooting starts.
Almost all Dept's are now up to speed on the newest active shooter training. My Dept's policy is that you will form a quick entry team out of any of the first Officers on site, make entry, and eliminate thebg shooterasap.We havetrained extensively for these situations, and Ihavebeen in real active shooter situations. The set up outside and wait days are gone.

3/325

imported post

attempting to shoot at a bg amongst a room or hall filled with screaming, panicking kids, running every direction.
Stampedes are rare (except in the movies). In the first moment of a surprise act of violence people freeze in place until they can assess what's going on. If you stood in the middle of a public crowd and fired a shot in the air, there would be a collective "flinch" followed by a bunch of heads swiveling to find out where the noise came from.

If I have to choose between my kid *maybe* getting shot by accident and *definitely* getting shot on purpose, it's a pretty easy choice because a small chance of survival is better than none at all. Training increases that "small chance" and I wholeheartedly support the idea.

The set up outside and wait days are gone.
Thank God.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I still think that a single armed teacher with basic handgun proficiency and a vested interest in survival inside the school when something went down is far preferable to 100 armed, highly trained professionals outside the school ten minutes after the shooting starts.
Almost all Dept's are now up to speed on the newest active shooter training. My Dept's policy is that you will form a quick entry team out of any of the first Officers on site, make entry, and eliminate thebg shooterasap.We havetrained extensively for these situations, and Ihavebeen in real active shooter situations. The set up outside and wait days are gone.
That definitely is encouraging to hear. Although "almost all" is not as confidence inspiring as "all". Sounds like your dept is up on the front edge of dealing with such situations. Unfortunately that is not true everywhere and there are many rural schools that would require many minutes for enough LEOs to arrive to form a team of more than 1-2. At least for those schools, if not more, I am strongly in favor of armed teachers and staff.