• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tense Situation At Freedom Value Gas station..Prescott

HandyHamlet

There was a time Wis. was 18 MN and IL were 21 the bars just into Wis. would be filled with MN and IL 18 year olds.

Then some of them got killed in car cashes on the way home and the up roar caused the push to raise all states to 21.

Lake Geneva. To clarify, alcohol was just as easy to come by then as it is today for teens. We did not head north to drink "legally". We only ran the gauntlet of IL cops because we were bored of drinking in the same old cornfields and on the same dead end streets with the same old chicks. Drinking in bars was expensive for high schoolers. And it wasn't us driving back from the border who gave rise to the M.A.D.D. insanity. It was drunks everywhere crashing into all sorts of stuff... Killing kids.

And Jesus, the trolls get thicker every time I check into this place. Pathetic.

Burl

B.U.R.L. does that stand for Butt Ugly Rebated Libtard???

You should really come to some of our activities and introduce yourself, much back-slapping & gauntlet shaking on your behalf; one would suspect...Step-up be a man, instead of a keyboard commando. :dude:

And what activities are you referring to? When? Where?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Actual back in the early mid 70s, 73 or 74 until into the early 80s it was 18, my senior of high school us 18 year olds would go down to the bar during lunch break and have a beer.

Then the do gooders decided that it was horrible and bad and convinced the feds into black mailing the states by with holding highway funds if they didn't raise it back to 21.

There was a time Wis. was 18 MN and IL were 21 the bars just into Wis. would be filled with MN and IL 18 year olds.

Then some of them got killed in car cashes on the way home and the up roar caused the push to raise all states to 21.

Now we have went over board and screw up young peoples life's with all kinds of under age drinking violations.

Actually, 1983 Wisconsin Act 74, effective July 1, 1984, raised the drinking age to 19 from the previous drinking age of 18. This is the time period I remember. Later, the 1985 Wisconsin Act 337, created a drinking age of 21 and brought the state into compliance with the NMDA on September 1, 1986

Here is the link to a very interesting history:
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lrb/pubs/wb/95wb3.pdf

carolina guy

Actually, 1983 Wisconsin Act 74, effective July 1, 1984, raised the drinking age to 19 from the previous drinking age of 18. This is the time period I remember. Later, the 1985 Wisconsin Act 337, created a drinking age of 21 and brought the state into compliance with the NMDA on September 1, 1986

Here is the link to a very interesting history:
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lrb/pubs/wb/95wb3.pdf

About the same happened to me in Texas. When I turned 18, the state raised the drinking age to 19, and when I turned 19, it changed to 21. Grrr. ;-)

Law abider

UPDATE On My Situation

The security video tape was reviewed by the investigator and my leo buddy. I have been cleared of any wrongdoing and it was an unwarranted 911 call. The incident has been pushed further up the ladder. I am sure that the needless backups will have to be addressed. No complaint filed so far from the guy who got hauled out at gunpoint.
BTW that employee was caught by Pierce County deputies with another gal with a criminal history trying to sell drugs on the WI side across from Red Wing MN this Tuesday. So she is really in a pickle now.

One more thing one of my colleagues at work and another person who owns a liquor store in Ellsworth whom I know both indicated that it was my fault to be there at night with a gun. So Dr Todd there will come a point that an OCer may be prosecuted for say... OCing aggressively or Ocing late at night causing a disturbance thus a DC. Who knows. I'll keep OCing like I always have.

Last edited:

protias

The security video tape was reviewed by the investigator and my leo buddy. I have been cleared of any wrongdoing and it was an unwarranted 911 call. The incident has been pushed further up the ladder. I am sure that the needless backups will have to be addressed. No complaint filed so far from the guy who got hauled out at gunpoint.
BTW that employee was caught by Pierce County deputies with another gal with a criminal history trying to sell drugs on the WI side across from Red Wing MN this Tuesday. So she is really in a pickle now.

One more thing one of my colleagues at work and another person who owns a liquor store in Ellsworth whom I know both indicated that it was my fault to be there at night with a gun. So Dr Todd there will come a point that an OCer may be prosecuted for say... OCing aggressively or Ocing late at night causing a disturbance thus a DC. Who knows. I'll keep OCing like I always have.

OC is NOT DC. It is even in Act 35. ;)

Yooper

So it wasn't legal drinking on your behalf as your earlier post stated. ;)

I don't know if it was legal or not, I assumed it was because they never checked our ID's, and I knew that WI had exceptions to being 21. Perhaps the bartender thought the older 2 were our parents (guy in his 30's had grey hair since his late 20's, other guy looked a lot older than what he was). This was at the Kro Bar in Brule... who knows, maybe I looked over 21...

Firearms Iinstuctor

In the years passed many bars were known for not asking for ID it was more wink, wink more then any thing else.

Was it legal no was it a great crime ?

I haven't been in a bar as a customer for decades. I found that hanging around drunks and people who use a fair amount of alcohol is not a smart thing to do.

Yooper

lol... I assumed (1st post) that it was legal, because one could drink with a guardian with them. To me (I'm sure legal definition is different), a guardian is someone who is responsible for someone else. If I take my nephew somewhere, while he's with me, I'm his guardian. Same if I take my kids and their friends somewhere, if their friend destroys something, I'm responsible, I can't say "sorry, not my kid". In that aspect, they were my guardians...

pkbites

lol... I assumed (1st post) that it was legal, because one could drink with a guardian with them. To me (I'm sure legal definition is different), a guardian is someone who is responsible for someone else. If I take my nephew somewhere, while he's with me, I'm his guardian. Same if I take my kids and their friends somewhere, if their friend destroys something, I'm responsible, I can't say "sorry, not my kid". In that aspect, they were my guardians...

Under Wisconsin law a legal act (such as a court order, adoption, a marriage, power of attorney, etc.) has to have taken place for you to be a legal guardian. Just supervising some minors does not give one authority to allow them to consume alcohol. If that were so parents who hosted keggers wouldn't be breaking the law.

Last edited:

wimwag

Hmmmm makes my last LEO experience seem tame. Can't cure stupid.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk and glitchy Windows 8