• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The answer that most CC'ers give in opposition to OC

Aknazer

Indeed bad things do happen to good people virtually anywhere and at any time - consider that a given.

The intent was to reinforce the message (nothing more) that going into a known/recognized high crime area is better avoided if possible.

I think the bolded part is kind of the issue. I've seen too much of the "well he shouldn't of been there" or "well that is a bad place so you shouldn't OC there" (prior to getting banned from warrior talk forums both arguements were used). While you should "try" to avoid such places, I think too many people get hung up on it and then end up practically blaming the individual for being at a "bad place" and ignore pretty much any reason for why the person was there. Hell prior to getting banned they tried to say that the person who was the "victim" of a gun grab in the inner city (which I proceeded to prove as being a false police report thanks to I believe Dreamer; ya they simply ignored the fact that it was fake and kept citing it) was in a bad place and thus regardless of the reason for being there OCing was simply asking to be targeted for crime.

To me it would be more accurate to say doing stupid things with stupid people. Because so long as you have a valid reason for being somewhere no place should be a bad/stupid place to be. It is your actions or the actions of others that make it a bad place to go to.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think the bolded part is kind of the issue. I've seen too much of the "well he shouldn't of been there" or "well that is a bad place so you shouldn't OC there" (prior to getting banned from warrior talk forums both arguements were used). While you should "try" to avoid such places, I think too many people get hung up on it and then end up practically blaming the individual for being at a "bad place" and ignore pretty much any reason for why the person was there. Hell prior to getting banned they tried to say that the person who was the "victim" of a gun grab in the inner city (which I proceeded to prove as being a false police report thanks to I believe Dreamer; ya they simply ignored the fact that it was fake and kept citing it) was in a bad place and thus regardless of the reason for being there OCing was simply asking to be targeted for crime.

To me it would be more accurate to say doing stupid things with stupid people. Because so long as you have a valid reason for being somewhere no place should be a bad/stupid place to be. It is your actions or the actions of others that make it a bad place to go to.

Never hinted at nor implied "shouldn't be there or shouldn't OC there."

I said "avoid if possible" - I wouldn't go into poorly light area with a reputation for muggings and robberies where the LEOs work in pairs to pick up a six pack of soda just because I can. I have other options.

OTOH - if someone's employment takes them to the same location to deliver a product, I would think they had less of a choice.

Whether one OCs, CCs, or noCs should we not be aware and make decisions based on our own safety? BTW - that was rhetorical.
I would "avoid if possible" swimming through a gator pond too, but that is just me.

I see no "issue" in this thinking.

Aknazer

Never hinted at nor implied "shouldn't be there or shouldn't OC there."

I said "avoid if possible" - I wouldn't go into poorly light area with a reputation for muggings and robberies where the LEOs work in pairs to pick up a six pack of soda just because I can. I have other options.

OTOH - if someone's employment takes them to the same location to deliver a product, I would think they had less of a choice.

Whether one OCs, CCs, or noCs should we not be aware and make decisions based on our own safety? BTW - that was rhetorical.
I would "avoid if possible" swimming through a gator pond too, but that is just me.

I see no "issue" in this thinking.

I wasn't aiming my response directly at you or trying to imply that you were saying one shouldn't be there or shouldn't OC. I was simply using what you had said to highlight an issue that I've seen in regards to the "three S" rule. And that's that a lot of people take the "stupid place" thing too far.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wasn't aiming my response directly at you or trying to imply that you were saying one shouldn't be there or shouldn't OC. I was simply using what you had said to highlight an issue that I've seen in regards to the "three S" rule. And that's that a lot of people take the "stupid place" thing too far.

No offense was taken.

I've done the same thing in quoting someone when I meant to be answer/responding to the thread generally.

OCDO is the best darn RKBA forum on the inter-webs - we get so many different perspectives yet remain open and responsible for the most part.

OC for ME

My comment was that the CC only bunch is beginning TO ANNOY ME more than the Brady Bunch - because the Brady Bunch is what it is - an association of people organized in OPPOSITION to the right to keep & bear arms.

I was CC - before I became CC/OC in 2006 when I moved from Texas to Colorado and learned more about OC initially primarily through this forum, and then my own very positive experience putting OC into practice.

Absolutely - I believe we should ALL be working together towards the COMMON GOAL of restoring respect for the constitutionally protected right . I'm ready to start anytime.

" ALLLLL ABOOOAARD !!!
Not good any way you slice it.

The CC only bunch is beginning to annoy me more than the Brady Bunch.
Not good.

jjorgen

This is the first time I looked at this thread. I don't open carry much, but now that its getting nice out, I will most likely be OC'ing much more. I do prefer CC, but that's just me. I have nothing against either, but some of the comments on other forums is pretty disturbing. I see more angry people on these forums then I do here. Seems everyone here for the most part is level headed.

I definitely picked the right forum to join.

+1