• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The City of Grand Rapids is Violating Preemption, as well...

Get2DahChopper

EVERYONE:

Lets NOT Miss The Point.

Open Carry in Michigan in Legal..., and for more than just Handguns, although I am Aware of The Rules of This Forum.

Michigan Codified Law 123.1102 is Clear, and These Ordinances Enacted and Enforced by Grand Rapids are in Violation.

Furthermore, Grand Rapids City Public Bus Service, The Rapid, Prohibits Firearms and Ammunition, and, again..., another Violation of The Michigan Codified Laws.

These Illegal and Unlawful Ordiannces have to Stop, for Everyone, whether from Michigan, or not.

aadvark

*** The Rapid Bus Website has The Following about NO Firearms, Rule No. 2: http://www.ridetherapid.org/ride/rules ***

*** IF..., and only IF..., The Rapid Bus System would Remove The Words '... of any Kind', then, Their Rule would be Consistent with Michigan Law, IF, further, They were to Define Weapon as any Device Enumerated under Michigan Codified Law 750.224. ***

Hey maybe we could organize a protest like the breast feeding moms did in detroit?
http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2011/06/30/none/doc4e0cdfff1a784361671363.txt Seriously, I'd love to see a bus driver try to tell 30 paying customers to "get lost" because they value their personal safety and civil rights?:confused:

aadvark

Get2DahChopper:

Warren had Their Own Problems with Michigan Codified Law 123.1102 of Act 319 of 1990.

These Concerns, and Their Resolution, are Viewable here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXuvCfzBH_I

Fortunately, though, after a Contentious Vote, Those Unlawful Ordinances were also Removed.

aadvark

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Almost all the local units of government around GR have illegal ordinances. The ones I have personally dealt with, eg GR at New Years, know they are illegal and will not enforce. I personally have written to at least 4 of the commissions/ boards but they continue to ignore the requests to change. I believe that part of the issue is that there really aren't that many OCers or CCers in the area... Kent County has the lowest rate in the state...1.8% as quoted in the GR press. Look at the comments on this and other websites regarding GR giving Licenses To Purchase to see what it is like here...and I am still waiting for my cpl renewal that was handed in on May 3. Sigh... luckily, the receipt in hand means I can carry for another 180 days.

BTW, the exceptions listed in the ordinances seemingly don't allow long guns to be possessed, as there is no permit for those.

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
I think I may have been miss-reading this law for a while. I thought that you could carry an unregistered pistol in MI openly if you were a visiting non-resident without any paperwork... So if:

1. I am not a resident of MI
2. I do not have a permit from my home state
3. I do not have a CPL

then I cannot OC a pistol in MI?

Also, if the above is true, what about long-arms. I belive the GR law bans all firearms, not just pistols? Then wouldn't this law still preempt MI firearm law?[/QUOTE

If you are a non resident with no permit from any state you may not open carry. If you have a non resident cary permit and are a non resident you may open carry only in MI.

Xman,

I am a resident of Indiana. I moved here from Michigan in 1986, and return to visit family and friends. After I received my Indiana License To Carry Handgun, I contacted the Michigan State Police asking that since I have a valid state issued handgun license (or permit if you prefer) to carry my handgun, and I am not a resident of Michigan, would I be required to openly carry my handgun since I do not qualify to have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. The response I got from the Michigan State Police was that as long as my handgun license was vaild, the State of Michigan would honor it as a Michigan CPL and I could carry openly or concealed with the exception of the pistol free zones under Michigan law. I'm sorry I didn't keep that email now. A side note, the Indiana LTCH does not specify in what manner we carry our handguns. As long as we have that piece of paper from the state, we can carry openly or concealed.

Brian

xmanhockey7

Xman,

I am a resident of Indiana. I moved here from Michigan in 1986, and return to visit family and friends. After I received my Indiana License To Carry Handgun, I contacted the Michigan State Police asking that since I have a valid state issued handgun license (or permit if you prefer) to carry my handgun, and I am not a resident of Michigan, would I be required to openly carry my handgun since I do not qualify to have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. The response I got from the Michigan State Police was that as long as my handgun license was vaild, the State of Michigan would honor it as a Michigan CPL and I could carry openly or concealed with the exception of the pistol free zones under Michigan law. I'm sorry I didn't keep that email now. A side note, the Indiana LTCH does not specify in what manner we carry our handguns. As long as we have that piece of paper from the state, we can carry openly or concealed.

That is correct.

Brian