• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The NEW SB-234

Japle

As I read the bill as it was passed, it says:

It 34 is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to
35 carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who
36 is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly
37 and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another
38 person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an
39 angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

That’s not open carry for CCW holders, let alone everyone. On the other hand, I don’t see how it’s a bad thing. Do you expect a cop to show up in response to a “man with a gun” call and arrest a CCW holder who, when the cop arrived on the scene, has his gun covered in compliance with the law? What’s his probable cause? Or do you have another problem?

This law is a baby step toward the open carry law we all want. We lost our rights one step at a time and that’s how we’ll get them back.

The car storage and contiguous state long gun purchase parts of the bill are just the same. They don’t recognize the rights we want, but they’re a step in the right direction.

More progress next year and the year after.

Terminal Velocity

So what about the issue of printing or mapping? I don't like IWB holsters so I'm trying to find the most concealable OWB holster for my XD45c, but regardless of how "concealable " it may be, it is still a OWB holster and I'm sure it will map or print.

77zach

So what about the issue of printing or mapping? I don't like IWB holsters so I'm trying to find the most concealable OWB holster for my XD45c, but regardless of how "concealable " it may be, it is still a OWB holster and I'm sure it will map or print.

Printing is not illegal. You may now openly carry "briefly". As in, "His stay in the country was brief".

Willm3053

This law is a baby step toward the open carry law we all want. We lost our rights one step at a time and that’s how we’ll get them back.

Agree! Obviously it's not what we want but its a step in the right direction, if you want to call it that. Maybe next year they'll remove other restrictions, who knows.

Sent from my HTC EVO!

77zach

Agree! Obviously it's not what we want but its a step in the right direction, if you want to call it that. Maybe next year they'll remove other restrictions, who knows.

Sent from my HTC EVO!

I disagree. It's a small step backwards. This is crappy statutory language that doesn't solve the small problems the NRA wanted to address. Now we must convince the creatures in Tally solely on OC's merit as a right. They don't believe in rights. They believe in the state. You are a body to be governed by the state.

Last edited:

deserteagle50

I disagree. It's a small step backwards. This is crappy statutory language that doesn't solve the small problems the NRA wanted to address. Now we must convince the creatures in Tally solely on OC's merit as a right. They don't believe in rights. They believe in the state. You are a body to be governed by the state.

i agree!!!

j4l

"the small problems the NRA wanted to address."

NRA? Small problems? There's the other half of the problem right there. THE outfit we should have most been able to count on in something like this shafted us just as hard as the legislature. Come to think of it, they helped hold us down so the legislature could violate us.
And why is the most powerful Pro-Gun lobby in the land focusing on "little problems" vs. the BIG problem with a right being denied.

Scr3w the NRA.

hammer6

As I read the bill as it was passed, it says:

It 34 is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to
35 carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who
36 is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly
37 and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another
38 person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an
39 angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

That’s not open carry for CCW holders, let alone everyone. On the other hand, I don’t see how it’s a bad thing. Do you expect a cop to show up in response to a “man with a gun” call and arrest a CCW holder who, when the cop arrived on the scene, has his gun covered in compliance with the law? What’s his probable cause? Or do you have another problem?

The car storage and contiguous state long gun purchase parts of the bill are just the same. They don’t recognize the rights we want, but they’re a step in the right direction.

More progress next year and the year after.

my interpretation of this is that if i, as a CWL holder, were to open carry, i would be fine.

Terminal Velocity

So if I am wearing an OWB holster with my shirt (mainly a Tee or Tank top) covering it to the best of its ability, and I get out of the car or reach to grab something off the top self in a store, and someone sees my weapon... OR... if my shirt is somewhat tight and someone makes out that I am carrying, with this new bill I'm OK?

What if my shirt is not long enough to fully conceal the holster, say the tip of the holster (be it a closed ended holster or an open ended like a speed holster which shows the tip of the slide/barrel) is exposed by an inch or so, am I good?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I want to make sure ;)

Last edited:

brboyer

So if I am wearing an OWB holster with my shirt (mainly a Tee or Tank top) covering it to the best of its ability, and I get out of the car or reach to grab something off the top self in a store, and someone sees my weapon... OR... if my shirt is somewhat tight and someone makes out that I am carrying, with this new bill I'm OK?

What if my shirt is not long enough to fully conceal the holster, say the tip of the holster (be it a closed ended holster or an open ended like a speed holster which shows the tip of the slide/barrel) is exposed by an inch or so, am I good?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I want to make sure ;)

Not stupid questions at all - stupid law.

I get out of the car or reach to grab something off the top self in a store, and someone sees my weapon
Most likely OK- depending if the person that sees it thinks it's displayed longer than 'briefly'
But the Sheriff's have said that no one has ever been arrested for that up till now anyway.

if my shirt is somewhat tight and someone makes out that I am carrying
This is what folks like to call 'printing', it is not illegal, never has been. But it may cause you unwanted attention by LEO.

In the first case, you are OK, since no one can see the weapon itself, the second could be a problem. But then again if it is 'brief' then you should be OK.

Last edited: