• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

We-the-People

Medford yesterday. Three OCers met at Muchas Gracias on West Main for food and talk. After spending some time in the restaurant we went on a little walk up to the split and then back to the restaurant where we took up a table outside and were later joined by a 4th OCer. We began a little after 3pm and "broke up" some SIX HOURS later. We had some stares as well as several people who made positive comments from the drive through, and others that got out of their vehicle in the drive through to come thank us for OCing.

No police were involved though it would have been nice to have a scanner and see if they got any calls.

BadMoon Risin68

Wood Village Fred Meyer

Who ever was at my store thank you for coming in! my security Guard noticed you shopping and it gave me the perfect time to inform him of what you were doing. keep up the good work!

We-the-People

Medford yesterday, had to get registration for my bike so I OC'd at DMV, then back to the house and OC'd on the bike into town. Later three of us (all OCing) met up at Starbucks on Biddle. After 45 minutes or so (from first arrival) we all moved on to sportsmans to do some research on AR's. No strange looks, no comments, just a nice day going about our business.

4runman

3+ hours of errands at Winco, Trader Joe's, and a few other stops in Gresham, and Portland. no problems, just one question about what cal. i was carrying

We-the-People

Yesterday, Medford and on the road, OC'd (two up, both OC) on the motorcycle. Into town, then up Highway 62 to the Union Creek. Had coffee and sandwich's at Beckie's cafe, then home. No problems, as it should be.

virginian45colt

Open carried to the store, gas station, went inside and payed no problem. In Mcdonalds now and no problem. Also open carried to the Rickreal gun show, had to tie my hammer down to my trigger guard with a zip tie. Doesn't make sense since it's easy to cut but whatever they want.:banghead:

We-the-People

OC'd with my GF on the motorcycle to Ashland and had coffee at a Starbucks there. Then off to Jacksonville where we walked around the old town area for a bit then had dinner at a restaurant before returning to Medford. Lot's of police presence seen but zero contact.

While eating in Jacksonville, a group at the next table spotted Mr. Drouin OCing on the sidewalk outside and recognized him. They voiced support for him and the second amendment. I don't think they saw our OC'd sidearms until we were getting up to leave.

American1

Hells Canyon MC Rally

Went to the rally in Baker City this weekend, and OC'd (Sig Sauer P229 sct) all day Saturday until I rode about 100 miles on I-84 and hit the rain. No problems just a lot of looks. On the Hells Canyon Rally website they encourage open carry. Oh yeah, only saw one other person carrying, a female vendor, way to represent the other gender!

Last edited:

We-the-People

Road trip to Brookings from Medford today with GF and I both OC.

Stopped for breakfast in Selma and a local OCer came in while we were eating.

As we approached the border with the PRK we removed our weapons, unloaded, and placed them into a portable safe with pushbutton combo lock. On reentering the U.S.A. we removed them, reloaded and were again able to OC. (repeated the process on the way back).

OC'd for about 6 hours on and at the beach in Brookings. Had two people talk with us about OC, both were supportive.

Had dinner at a local restaurant with no looks or questions.

Repeated the PRK drill on the return trip.

All in all a great day out and about.

4runman

Portland carry

Went grocery shopping today at trader Joes, on 39th. Had a guy casually say " its nice to see some one oc, I chose a more discreet way of protection". Talked for a few, it was good. Gateway liquor however, does not like guns. I was asked to leave, after a shady looking guy, unwilling to give up his backpack per the store rules, said "what about him, he has a gun" the owner said they didn't like guns, so please leave.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Gateway liquor however, does not like guns. I was asked to leave, after a shady looking guy, unwilling to give up his backpack per the store rules, said "what about him, he has a gun" the owner said they didn't like guns, so please leave.

That's silly. Punish the guy who obviously has nothing to hide. Also, who says, "what about him?" anymore, that was so second grade.

VW_Factor

When the temps are nicer and I'm just off work I simply unbutton my "button up shirt". Unless I'm standing still, shirt flaps open and I'm essentially OC.

It was a few days ago, I was in the Safeway here in town. I wouldn't call this guy a panhandler of sorts, but he was most certainly hitting up people in the parking lot for money (gas or smokes or whatever probably.) He was walking to approach me, I turned strongside to him to head down the aisle to my car. He saw I was carrying, muttered something and turned to walk away.

Only person I know of that day that cared.

We-the-People

GF and I were talking with a contractor earlier this week about doing some work. We were both OC (her 357 Magnum snubbie, me a full sized FN) in the parking lot where the work would be done. After about 20 minutes he notices her pistol and goes "wow, is this a bad neighborhood? I just saw you're packing". Then as we discussed OC, he finally noticed my full sized FN. He was good with it but didn't realize it was legal.

I'm going to have to get a S&W 500 in brightt shiny chrome......I can't believe he spotted her snubbie before my full size even though I was closer to him and strong side towards him.

Moral of the story......most people are oblivious to the fact that we are open carrying. Even when standing close and having a conversation. They really don't stick out like a neon sign. And the line about the S&W 500.... Nah, too damn heavy, too damn expensive for bullets, and only 5 (or is it 6) rounds compared to my 21 + 20 + 20 standard loadout. On the other hand, my plasitc pistol would make a pretty lame "hammer" while that S&W could give a hammer a run for the money.

We-the-People

Monday 2 July. My girlfriend and I took a 230 mile motorcycle ride, both open carrying. Medford to Butte Falls to Prospect....stopped for fuel and were kindly received by the fuel attendant, the inside clerk, and several customers. Then on to Beckie's cafe in Union Creek for dinner. Then we went up past Crater Lake but didn't go in due to time restraints. We stopped at a viewpoint a bit south of Crater Lake where a guy was eyeballing me pretty hard but said nothing. Can't blame him for keeping an eye on me though, he was there with his wife and small children, probably just being vigilant as he didn't say anything and they didn't pack up and run. Then down to Klammath Falls where we refueled and took a bit of a break. Then down into Ashland and home.

Never a problem, nothing but support and recognition of the right to open carry. A nice trip considering that, instead of my more usually dress slacks and polo shirt, I was looking pretty "scary" in black leather chaps, leather vest, a black "do rag" on my head to prevent helmet hair, pony tail, etc. No one mistook me for a cop though.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Never a problem, nothing but support and recognition of the right to open carry. A nice trip considering that, instead of my more usually dress slacks and polo shirt, I was looking pretty "scary" in black leather chaps, leather vest, a black "do rag" on my head to prevent helmet hair, pony tail, etc. No one mistook me for a cop though.

What, no pics? Glad to hear you had a good time out on the bike.

DocWalker

Monday 2 July. My girlfriend and I took a 230 mile motorcycle ride, both open carrying. Medford to Butte Falls to Prospect....stopped for fuel and were kindly received by the fuel attendant, the inside clerk, and several customers. Then on to Beckie's cafe in Union Creek for dinner. Then we went up past Crater Lake but didn't go in due to time restraints. We stopped at a viewpoint a bit south of Crater Lake where a guy was eyeballing me pretty hard but said nothing. Can't blame him for keeping an eye on me though, he was there with his wife and small children, probably just being vigilant as he didn't say anything and they didn't pack up and run. Then down to Klammath Falls where we refueled and took a bit of a break. Then down into Ashland and home.

Do you use a paddle holster with the chaps? I usally CC in my inside vest pocket when I put on my chaps then put my holster on after I'm done riding.

Wife an my rode to Utah Tuesday and back yesterday (700 miles) but both CCed. I would prefer OC but would have to carry my 40 instead of my 45 due to only paddle holster I have.

HareTigger

First LEO contact while OC

My BF and I went to Lost Creek this evening to fish. While we were packing up to leave, I was approached by an OSP officer. He asked to see my fishing license, never mentioning the gun on my side. He then spoke with my BF, who informed him as he approached that he was open carrying. The light was fading; he didn't want the officer surprised by his pistol. The officer was professional. When my BF and the officer discussed OC, the officer said that he expected to see people with firearms when out hunting or fishing. The officer never asked for anything other than our fishing licenses, which of course have our names on them. I didn't like that he wrote my name down in his little notebook.

All in all, a good encounter... the way it should be.

We-the-People

Do you use a paddle holster with the chaps? I usally CC in my inside vest pocket when I put on my chaps then put my holster on after I'm done riding.

Wife an my rode to Utah Tuesday and back yesterday (700 miles) but both CCed. I would prefer OC but would have to carry my 40 instead of my 45 due to only paddle holster I have.

Actually this is my first season of riding and OCing so I'm working out the bugs. When I rode in the PRK (Cali) I CC'd with a black leather vest that has velcro closed pockets on the inside specifically for carrying. Rode that way when I was riding up here years ago but now that I'm OC'ing and riding I'm working on the method.

So far I've been carrying with a Serpa Level two on my belt and chosing pants that allow me to get the chaps on. That's working but not comfortable. Took a shorter trip Wednesday and wore the Serpa on a belt over the top of the chaps. That worked quite well.

At the moment, I'm considering continuing to carry that way though would probably get a dedicated "gun belt" set up. Two other options I'm considering is to put the paddle on the Serpa and wear it ON the chaps OR have a shop add belt loops to the chaps so I can put a regular belt on, attached to the chaps but not to replace the chaps "belt".

Or I may just get a shoulder holster though that would look strange over the top of a leather jacket.

VW_Factor

This happened a few days ago now on July 4th.

Wife and I stopped in the small market here in town, on our way to Salem.

A guy comes in, snooping a bit and peeks around an aisle to get a good look at us.

"Oh my god" he exclaims. "You are.. Umm... Is that a taser?"

Nope.

"Is that ok to do that?"

Completely legal to carry in the open.

"What caliber is that?"

.45 Auto (Kahr cw45)

"I commend you sir" and he shakes my hand.

Really kind of strange. He didn't appear to be a creeper or anything. I guess he was just really surprised to see someone carrying I guess. His buddy was in the store, and I suppose he was out waiting in their car. Saw me walk in and just had a get a better look. /shrug