• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The secure container law saved him criminal charges but he was still suspended

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
haha, inmates clean police and sheriff's cars all the time. Some police departments have contracts with Car Pool, which is essentially the same thing since a vast majority of their staff is on work release!

Yep!
And after they do their time....they make them a manager:lol:

papa bear

being half VA, half NC, and i live on the border in NC. i travel a lot in VA. in NC, the gun is to be in the open (as in open carry), in plain view to not be concealed. if it is in a container it must be locked and out of immediate reach, or it will be considered concealed.

now am i wrong but doesn't VA law say if you are in the vehicle the firearm is not to be left out but must be in a closed container (glove box, console)?

i thought about this the other day when i had to travel a good bit in both states. and being honest was a little worried about it :confused:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
now am i wrong but doesn't VA law say if you are in the vehicle the firearm is not to be left out but must be in a closed container (glove box, console)?

It used to be just the opposite. It had to be in plain sight or where it wasn't accessible.

Now you can keep it in the open or in any secured (Not necessary locked) container...glove box, console, etc.

I'm in the same area as you and cross back an forth often.

mrt6812

I can't wait to start carrying. I'll probably start concealed and then cautiously move to OC but I have to get the permit first and fish around for my certificate from my hunter education course from about 15 years ago and of course scrounge up the cash for the $45 fee...and a better gun than the little .22 revolver I have. Hopefully it won't take long.

I think someone mentioned being an NC/VA hybrid. I'm kind of wary about carrying in any form in NC because I read something about not being able to carry if you're watching a parade and have heard that you can't carry when you're in a large group of people. Doesn't make sense to me.

papa bear

I think someone mentioned being an NC/VA hybrid. I'm kind of wary about carrying in any form in NC because I read something about not being able to carry if you're watching a parade and have heard that you can't carry when you're in a large group of people. Doesn't make sense to me.

NC is supposed to be a gold star state on open carry like VA is, and by in large they both are, but of course you are going to run across govt. employees and/or ignorant public that will give you a hard time. educate yourself and know what you can and can not do.

as to the container
does that mean, that when you are in your vehicle ( and without a CC permission slip), that you must keep it in a container and not open? i think SC is like that

TFred

as to the container
does that mean, that when you are in your vehicle ( and without a CC permission slip), that you must keep it in a container and not open? i think SC is like that
Nope, OC is fine, so if it's plainly visible, or if it's in a secured container, both are fine.

What that leaves you not able to do (without the CHP) is to keep it in the car but concealed, such as on the front seat under a jacket, or perhaps in the back seat floor out of plain sight. You start getting bogged down with specifics here, and those are the kinds of things that usually aren't settled until the trial, so you have to use some common sense.

Plain sight, secured container, or CHP should be three safe choices.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

I can't wait to start carrying. I'll probably start concealed and then cautiously move to OC but I have to get the permit first and fish around for my certificate from my hunter education course from about 15 years ago and of course scrounge up the cash for the $45 fee...and a better gun than the little .22 revolver I have. Hopefully it won't take long.

Can't carry at a parade or other gathering in NC... Check this page: http://www.usacarry.com/north_carolina_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

hunter45

I have a question regarding the secure container law...is there a limit to the number of handguns I can have in a secure container in my vehicle (without a CHP)?

MSC 45ACP

I have a question regarding the secure container law...is there a limit to the number of handguns I can have in a secure container in my vehicle (without a CHP)?

Reminds me of a disagreement I had with someone about a year ago. He was trying to tell me I was only allowed to carry ONE pistol with a CHP. I asked him to show me where it was in VA law and of course he couldn't...

The Wolfhound

Work truck

in other words a state owned vehicle? So, he was in violation of State Administrative Code, which forbids firearms in State vehicles (LEO Exception of course). This is one I would love to see overturned. My wife has to travel all over the state in State vehicles, often alone, and is not allowed to carry.