• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The UN

Bersa.380

I never said that I interpret the Constitution for all of us.

If the writers of the Constitution actually meant for the Constitution to not be interpretive then they would have written the Constitution, then went line for line with a detailed explanation of the scope of interpretation that was to take place.

Dear Sylvia:

I know you never came out and said you interpret the Constitution for all of us !!!!

Just the the fact that you admit you think it is open to interpretation for you or any one else speaks DANGER for the rest of us ..... my point (which you missed) is leave it alone, otherwise all you want to do is interpret it you way, complicate it, then your interpretation of the interpretation makes no sense.

END_THE_FED

It allows for temporary restraint of liberties. Your liberties are summed up in the Constitution. Writ Of Habeas Corpus comes before the Bill Of Rights (first ten amendments) which likely intended to say that the WOHC is the absolute power of the Constitution when it comes to rights.

We had our rights before the federal government existed and we will have them after the federal government. Neither the federal government nor the Constitution gave us our rights.

Some of our rights are affirmed in the constitution not all of them, but that's not the main purpose of the constitution. The constitution was written by independent states to create a federal government. Without the Constitution the federal government has no legitimate authority whatsoever. When creating this federal government they decided to delegate to it certain powers, all of which are clearly enumerated. They reserved all other powers for themselves or for the people. They also divided these delegated powers into different branches. At any time they wish the states can "fire" the central government. and create a new one or decide to go with out one. They can do this via a constitutional convention. which is how we went from the articles of confederation to the constitution.
The powers of the federal government are limited and defined. all other powers belong to the states or to the people.

We have a "Federal" government not a "National" government.

Sylvia, do you agree with the following statement?
If a power is not clearly delegated to the federal government via the constitution then the federal government has no legitimate authority to exercise that power.

amlevin

We are talking about the Constitutionality of the Constitution. Put your fork somewhere else.

Then why not start a new thread with that as it's title. This thread has drifted far away from the original topic. If someone read the title and then the last 10 posts or so they'd be scratching their heads.

The Constitution always makes for a good discussion. Expecially since all those that wrote it have been dead for a real long time. Determining what it says or means is almost like trying to do the same with the bible. Everyone gets a different take on what they read and as always, it depends on the position they are trying to justify.

I am suggesting that some threads need to continue on under a new title, not necessarily end all discourse. Then there too are some threads that just need to end.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Then why not start a new thread with that as it's title. This thread has drifted far away from the original topic. If someone read the title and then the last 10 posts or so they'd be scratching their heads.

The Constitution always makes for a good discussion. Expecially since all those that wrote it have been dead for a real long time. Determining what it says or means is almost like trying to do the same with the bible. Everyone gets a different take on what they read and as always, it depends on the position they are trying to justify.

I am suggesting that some threads need to continue on under a new title, not necessarily end all discourse. Then there too are some threads that just need to end.

Gotta admit it - this has gone way, way OT.

Beretta92FSLady

We had our rights before the federal government existed and we will have them after the federal government. Neither the federal government nor the Constitution gave us our rights.

Some of our rights are affirmed in the constitution not all of them, but that's not the main purpose of the constitution. The constitution was written by independent states to create a federal government. Without the Constitution the federal government has no legitimate authority whatsoever. When creating this federal government they decided to delegate to it certain powers, all of which are clearly enumerated. They reserved all other powers for themselves or for the people. They also divided these delegated powers into different branches. At any time they wish the states can "fire" the central government. and create a new one or decide to go with out one. They can do this via a constitutional convention. which is how we went from the articles of confederation to the constitution.
The powers of the federal government are limited and defined. all other powers belong to the states or to the people.

We have a "Federal" government not a "National" government.

Sylvia, do you agree with the following statement?
If a power is not clearly delegated to the federal government via the constitution then the federal government has no legitimate authority to exercise that power.

I said the Constitution affirms our rights, it does not give them to us. Humans have fundamental rights. It is the Federal Government that has to affirm that. Those fundamental rights that our Federal Government affirms, by affirming, has the Constitutional right to deny us our fundamental rights.

You are right, it doesn't make any sense--how could a fundamental right be taken away if it is fundamental--absolute power can take any right it wishes away from us, because we lack the financial and military power that the Federal Government has.

The Federal Government has no "legitimate authority" to exercise that power--that doesn't mean that it will not do it though. The Constitution in its entirety covers every aspect of human life, and by that federal power, all American citizens are subject to the heavy hand of the federal government. I don't mean to paint such a grim picture, it sucks, but it has been bestowed on the federal government the power to determine what is best for American citizens.

I have seriously spent many hours trying to prove that the Constitution is not interpretive, and unfortunately I have concluded that it is. You think that because I acknowledge that it is interpretive, that I am excited about it, I am not. We are left with no choice but to interpret, and that is what takes place when every past, present and future members of SCOTUS holds laws to the Constitution to determine the Constitutionality off said law.

wrightme

Thats funny the forum wont just let me post your quote with my comments It makes me type in the body also
This forum software doesn't "nest" the quoted posts like the other one did; thank goodness.
But, you can get a similar effect by using the [ "+ ] icon on each relevant post. THEN on the bottom one, click the "reply with quote" link, and voila! There you are. Cut/ the one you want to "nest" and past it into the place you want it.

Last edited: