• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The University of Utah is enforcing a ban on open carry!

HansUser

imported post

If the person has a valid permit, and a complaining party desires criminal charges be filed, the officer will inform the offender that criminal charges will he screened with the District Attorney.

So just because some one wants to "complain" they can change the law and go after you?

jumper

imported post

I Would be up for a open carry event any of you? as long that we have the AG side.

HansUser

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Please be warned they will take your firearm and take you to Jail.

Can they legally even do that if you have a permit?

HansUser

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
HansUser wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Please be warned they will take your firearm and take you to Jail.

Can they legally even do that if you have a permit?
That's the root of the argument.

I don't know much about the law - but is there not some one you can just call and ask?

UtahJarhead

imported post

heh... that's also the root of the discussion. Trying to get in touch with the AG, but not sure if anybody's had any luck.

HansUser

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
heh...  that's also the root of the discussion.  Trying to get in touch with the AG, but not sure if anybody's had any luck.

I guess I should read the thread :) got to love the typical "post before read, build before reading instructions" attitudes some of us have.

PavePusher

imported post

HansUser wrote:
UtahJarhead wrote:
heh... that's also the root of the discussion. Trying to get in touch with the AG, but not sure if anybody's had any luck.

I guess I should read the thread :) got to love the typical "post before read, build before reading instructions" attitudes some of us have.
Hey! That's just uncalled fo... I mean... Ummm.... Aw, nevermind.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

ROFL. They are clearly in denial about the current structure of the law. I wonder if the silly person who wrote this guide got his GED yet. They are so worried about their supposed, and unsupported, theories on the psychological disruption to other students and faculty in response to a citizen openly carrying a "big scary gun" in the open, that they have completely lost sight of the big picture. When are the paranoid sheeple ever going to learn? They seek to destroy their own freedoms in response to their own unfounded fears. For crying out loud, what a bunch of scardy cats. lol

If they had their way, Rosa Parks would have stayed in the back of the bus. Some day, they are going to have to understand that guns don't jump out of their holsters and give you coodies or kill people all by themselves. Society needs to realize that certain stereotypes do not apply in the real world. Average people and citizens are entrusted every day with dangerous weapons and equipment that they operate in accordance with the law and their conscience. Like any object or technology, it can be used for both great good and terrible evil. It is that trust and freedom to choose that must be protected at all costs. It infuriates me to see ignorant sheeple conspire to take away the rights and the trust and choice of the individual to quell their own unfounded, biased and irrational fears of the "potential" actions of an individual who is in control of something that could be potentially dangerous if used improperly.

If they were willing to pull their heads out of the ground for just a moment and look around at their environment, there are a lot of other things a hell of a lot more dangerous than a law-abiding citizen wearing an openly-carried sidearm to class. Personally, I would be more afraid of the guy who buys ammonium nitrate and diesel in large quantities and owns a truck rental business. lol This protectionism and preemptive thought process engraved into the psyche of our elected leaders, politicians and headmasters, is the very fabric and mindset that Adolf Hitler had in mind when he disarmed his people incidental to WWII. As far as I am concerned, it is not the armed citizens who pose the greatest threat to our well-being, it is those ignorant, fearful and self-serving authority figures who don't know their head from their ass when it comes to reality. My freedom is more important to me than somebody else's right to feel comfortable while I am exercising my rights. If my big scary gun makes them feel intimidated, tough beans. Get over it. If seeing the American flag hanging on my locker at work annoys you, go to hell. We have rights that others don't like or agree with, but that does not mean that they should attempt to do away with them just so they can sleep better at night.

Kevin

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Just a update our efforts to contact our elected officials is working well. I want to urge you to continue contacting elected officials letting them know what is happening to our civil rights.

The University of Utah is not reacting well to the public push now that their document is out in the public. I say continue forwarding this document that is now in a PDF Format to who ever you can that will listen.

If we lose this fight this could set a precident for other departments. I am asking everyone to become politicly active in contacting our elected officials.

Let our voices be heard and our rights protected.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

UtahJarhead

imported post

(cross posted to UCC and OCDO)

Just emailed to the President of the University of Utah:

To the President of the University of Utah,

There has been a pamphlet circulating as shown at the below link that purports to be coming from your office. I've also attached this document to this email for your convenience. This pamphlet outlaws the Open Carrying of firearms on the University of Utah Campus.

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6801&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Utah State Law works in such a way that unless something is specifically outlawed, then it is legal.

UL 76-10-500 describes Utah's right to bear arms.

UL 76-10-505.5 describes the illegality of possessing firearms on school property. This means people are not allowed to carry Openly or Concealed except where allowed by...

UL 76-10-523 lists the persons exempt from the Gun Safe School Zone laws in Utah. One of these exemptions is "any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued"

While a Concealed Firearm Permit (referred to commonly as a CFP) does allow someone to conceal a firearm, it does not FORCE a person to conceal. As the law very plainly states, a person that does have a CFP is *EXEMPT* from 76-10-505.5 meaning that the Open Carrying of a firearm is NOT outlawed.

This would mean that the University of Utah (which is a State University) should apply its own laws to enforce the Open Carry of firearms on campus, correct?

No sir. As per UL 76-10-500: "This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms."

Please read the attached document and verify that the pamphlet that was distributed is accurate or if it is in fact not an intended policy of the President of the University of Utah or the University of Utah Police Department.

Thank you for your time,
<my redacted name>
Proud firearm carrier and licensed Concealed Carrier

rpyne

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
(cross posted to UCC and OCDO)

Just emailed to the President of the University of Utah:

To the President of the University of Utah,

There has been a pamphlet circulating as shown at the below link that purports to be coming from your office. I've also attached this document to this email for your convenience. This pamphlet outlaws the Open Carrying of firearms on the University of Utah Campus.

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6801&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Utah State Law works in such a way that unless something is specifically outlawed, then it is legal.

UL 76-10-500 describes Utah's right to bear arms.

UL 76-10-505.5 describes the illegality of possessing firearms on school property. This means people are not allowed to carry Openly or Concealed except where allowed by...

UL 76-10-523 lists the persons exempt from the Gun Safe School Zone laws in Utah. One of these exemptions is "any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued"

While a Concealed Firearm Permit (referred to commonly as a CFP) does allow someone to conceal a firearm, it does not FORCE a person to conceal. As the law very plainly states, a person that does have a CFP is *EXEMPT* from 76-10-505.5 meaning that the Open Carrying of a firearm is NOT outlawed.

This would mean that the University of Utah (which is a State University) should apply its own laws to enforce the Open Carry of firearms on campus, correct?

No sir. As per UL 76-10-500: "This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms."

Please read the attached document and verify that the pamphlet that was distributed is accurate or if it is in fact not an intended policy of the President of the University of Utah or the University of Utah Police Department.

Thank you for your time,
<my redacted name>
Proud firearm carrier and licensed Concealed Carrier
The correct notation is UCA not UL. Also, you will likely offend him with your opening description of how Utah law works since he is a law professor. You can read his bio here: http://www.admin.utah.edu/president/pres_bio.html

UtahJarhead

imported post

rpyne wrote:
The correct notation is UCA not UL. Also, you will likely offend him with your opening description of how Utah law works since he is a law professor. You can read his bio here: http://www.admin.utah.edu/president/pres_bio.html
As opposed to how he's offended the entire gun community by trying to do an end run around the laws? It's more of a way to try and tie off all loose ends so he doesn't try and argue about the laws like he already did by not including exemptions for CFP holders.

If he was a decent enough Law Professor, we wouldn't be having this argument with them about the laws.

I do agree with you, it might come across as insulting, but IMO no more so than how he's tried to insult us.

Edit: noticed the UCA/UL designation and I apologize. I've always seen it labeled "Uniform Law" so that's how I've been calling it. IANAL applies here. ;)

ichigo

imported post

You got to know a posted letter on the site is going to get some scrutiny. I was a bit confused at the bottom of the letter as to who was talking. A proof read would've been nice before it was sent to get some additional input. Cite the code and leave emotions and demeaning statements out of it. Whats said is said I suppose, however I would like to see another version hit his desk by US postal.
-banki-

UtahJarhead

imported post

Ichigo, you're right and I do expect it. I don't claim to be a lawyer and since it's been a few weeks, I figured it was due that he received some mail. I do like the idea of following up with some snail mail. Perhaps certified mail that requires a signature.