• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thigh Rig for OC, To much? or Acceptable for winter Open Carry.

stainless1911

Banned
Most of them notice? That hasn't been my experience. I have OCed a thigh rig a LOT, most people have thier head up thier aces.

Whether people notice is dependent on a lot of factors. Are they a cop, a child (eye level), a military person, a gun owner? What are you wearing? A black gun shows more over a pair of light blue jeans. How many people are present, are they walking a hallway like in a mall, a field, milling about as a crowd? I know for a fact that more people notice my OC whether at the hip or leg when the mall is quiet, than on a busy friday night on a holiday. When its standing room only, very few people see it at all.

Last edited:

TeamHi-Point

Not judging you 1911, but why even try to cut across church/school property without asking first? Or did I miss something?

stainless1911

Banned
Many people do. I used to cut through there every day for work many years ago. Since it was the shortest distance, and a route that I was familiar with, it was the logical way to go. The presence of a firearm should make no difference.

Last edited:

Yance

Glad to see someone posted this question. I do not have my CPL and I was considering a thigh rig for winter carry but I was nervous about peoples reactions to it as well as LE reactions to it. Also I like the idea of a short jacket with a holster with a 2" drop, I would have to be quite conscious of the bottom of the jacket though to make sure its not covering the pistol. Anyone have experiences with LE while using a thigh rig?

Evil Creamsicle

Just be careful not to whack some kid in the head with it walking by in a crowd.

I must admit to having accidentally clunked my nephew once. He was a little older though, and it was with my hip holster, not my thigh rig. I spun to answer a question and he was trying to sneak past me on the other side and 'bonk'.

He was OK, but I felt pretty bad about it.

ElectricianLU58

Umm, They Notice

I myself wouldn't carry in a thigh rig with a CPL for EDC. just because I don't want to look a tacicool Douche.

That being said if someone didn't have a Cpl and were worried about a jacket or other clothing accidently covering their firearm

I would understand why they would wear one. Just my Opinion

i agree with detroitbiker on this issue. i get the logic of using a thigh rig. they are not for me, though. if i needed a rig that sat lower, i would have a western rig custom made in plain black with no tooling. something that would put my 1911 in the same place as a thigh rig without the "tacticool douchiness" and with better style.

none of my EDC or clothing looks tactical in any way.

stainless1911

Banned
EDC?

Open and Concealed Carry is about self defense, self preservation, as well as the protection of others, and our rights. Being able to protect your hearing while doing so, is simply common sense. Discharging a firearm without hearing protection, unless you dont have a choice in a self defense situation, is simply irresponsible. Discharging your firearm without the proper protection, especially from a vehicle, is going to guarantee damage to your hearing. Carrying a silenced weapon where you have the option to do so, is simply the responsible thing to do.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

Cocked and locked is the only way to carry a 1911. A series 80 1911 has 3 mechanical safeties that have to be released to make it fire: slide lock, grip safety, and firing pin block that doesnt move until the trigger is pulled.

I had one female barber tell me she was afraid my 1911 was going to go off accidentally while she cut my hair. I informed her I had yet to shoot a hole in the floor of the car that I drove there, so I was confident her toes were safe. ;)

Agreed!

Glad to see someone posted this question. I do not have my CPL and I was considering a thigh rig for winter carry but I was nervous about peoples reactions to it as well as LE reactions to it. Also I like the idea of a short jacket with a holster with a 2" drop, I would have to be quite conscious of the bottom of the jacket though to make sure its not covering the pistol. Anyone have experiences with LE while using a thigh rig?

Its the same as OC'ing anyother way IMO and if you don't have a CPL its one of the safer ways to OC without haveing to worry about accidently concealing your gun.

Any suggestions for an affordable thigh rig??

And thanks for the welcome :)

www.opticsplanet.net they have a great selection and are usually the cheapest price also. And they only carry the qulity brands, on some brands they carry it can be almost half off.

So no one can hear you obviously

They are not that quiet.

Evil Creamsicle

So you can defend yourself without damaging yours and other's hearing. I don't know about you but I'm clumsy putting ear plugs in, and I don't think I could do it in the time available in a situation.

The aural benefits of a suppressor are well understood. I think the concern is that with the added draw length, you may as well be carrying a rifle.