• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To My May 1 Utah Concealed Firearms Permit Class

mrjam2jab

It came!!!!

Ok, so my credit card was charged 6-13-11, and I just got it today 7-25-11. Not to bad if you ask me.

Congrats!!

Now to keep it "working" I will have to get the Wisconsin as soon as it comes out, or I think the Utah dies...

Incorrect. You will need to get WI permit before you can renew the UT permit....but it won't just void itself out.

jpm84092

Renewing your UT Permit & Apology With Explanation

Aaron, your Utah Permit will be good until its' expiration date. As correctly pointed out in a previous post, your UT permit renewal ($15) will need a copy of a WI permit when you renew it five years from now. (This assumes that WI will honor a UT permit which is a very reasonable assumption given that the UT background check is more rigorous and the training requirement is more rigorous - or - "less streamlined" as McX would put it.)

Sorry about the short notice. I had a family reunion in Janesville on Sunday the 24th that I did not find out about until the Tuesday before. Airline flights were either booked or over $1000 so I drove the 1500 miles from Salt Lake to Wisconsin. I am writing this from a motel in Sidney Nebraska on my way back to SLC.

After learning of the family reunion, I set out on the road Wednesday and I emailed a few friends from a motel while on the road and hoped for the best student wise. I did one UT CFP Course and two NRA Basic Pistol Courses. MKEGAL got some time in as an assistant instructor. All three reported that the one-on-one time was very valuable to them and a lot of questions came up and were answered that might not have come up in a larger course.

Outdoorsman1

Sorry about the short notice. I had a family reunion in Janesville on Sunday the 24th that I did not find out about until the Tuesday before. Airline flights were either booked or over $1000 so I drove the 1500 miles from Salt Lake to Wisconsin. I am writing this from a motel in Sidney Nebraska on my way back to SLC.

No sorry nessesary... Actually it was my decision to post a (last minute) new tread with "Late" notice to try and increase class size thinking maybe 1 or 2 students might not justify having the class. Found out after post that 1 or 2 students did justify having the class.

AaronS
That Outdoorsman has all the good luck.

Actually, luck had nothing to do with it... My attendeing the class developed from jpm84092's offer to logables (in a different thread) that he was coming to WI (over the weekend) and that logables was welcome to attend a class.... I PM'd jpm84092 asking if he was in fact holding a clas (or just an offer to hold one)... and it developed from there... Granted, I have been dilegent in attending one of jpm84092's classes as I was the one who arrived late for his last class and miss it due to a locked securirty gate at the East Troy Airport....

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Now to keep it "working" I will have to get the Wisconsin as soon as it comes out, or I think the Utah dies... Good thing the Utah will work to get the Wisconsin.

No, you would only have to get your WI before you renew the UT. The UT will stay in effect after 11/1, just won't work as a permit here.

jpm84092

Hi Aaron,

Yes, if I have read SB-93 correctly your UT CFP permit will qualify you for the training required to obtain a WI CCW License. And, as Paul correctly pointed out, your UT CFP may be good for reciprocity, but as a WI resident it will not be good enough to carry concealed in WI. However, if my assumptions about WI honoring a UT permit are correct, it is likely that I can carry concealed in WI on or after Nov 1, 2011 on my UT permit (or FL, or NV, or PA).

Carry on.

jpm84092

A little off-topic, but have a look at the first post in this thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...cranton)-August-13-2011&p=1575560#post1575560

They want $85 for the UT class. :shocker:
I guess that bit about price increasing with distance from UT is true.
It'll be nice when we get more UT instructors here in WI; market competition.

A UT Concealed Firearm Permit Class for $85 should fill fast in Upstate New York (or even in WI where I have seen the UT course advertised anywhere from $135 to $160). I met an instructor from upstate NY when I took the UT Instructor Class who told me he was joining a business that did the UT class for $250 per student (and every one of the 200 seats for the monthly courses they held was sold out months in advance).

mrjam2jab

A UT Concealed Firearm Permit Class for $85 should fill fast in Upstate New York (or even in WI where I have seen the UT course advertised anywhere from $135 to $160). I met an instructor from upstate NY when I took the UT Instructor Class who told me he was joining a business that did the UT class for $250 per student (and every one of the 200 seats for the monthly courses they held was sold out months in advance).

I paid $100 here in PA, and that was discounted off the regular $125. that was an "all inclusive" class. Some local to me charge about that much JUST for the class itself. Prints and pics are additional and obtaining them is on the student.

jpm84092

I took my Utah class several years ago under the auspices of Iowa Carry. It cost me $50.00 for most of the day, including a range session. We took it at the Isaac Walton Gun Club just West of Dubuque.

Can you be more specific about how many years ago "several years ago" was? My comment on local (local to WI) UT CFP class prices is no more than 30 days old. Based on the research I have done, many WI residents would gladly travel to IA to take the UT course for $50; particularly since that included range time. My more recent research indicates that the going fee for the UT CFP course is $140 - $160 per head in WI; with some courses including range time and others not - since UT has no range qualification requirements.

This past weekend I offered the UT CFP course to WI Carry members for $20 and for another ($30 MSRP for the course materials + $20 for the class including range time) I did the NRA basic pistol course. NRA Instructors in WI are getting $120 - $160 for the NRA Basic Pistol Course, so my students saved an average of $100.

I will be back to WI before the end of the summer to offer more discount courses to WI Carry members and Military Veterans. I did not become an NRA Certified Instructor to make money. I did so to help facilitate as many law abiding citizens to get firearms familiarity instruction as my circumstances would allow. (However, teaching courses in WI allows me to deduct my travel expenses.)

Disclaimer for certain Wisconsin tactical instructors: (The reader will note that the NRA Basic Pistol course DOES NOT include tactical instruction. The UT Concealed Firearm Permit Course likewise does NOT include tactical instruction.) For tactical instruction, you must see your local tactical instructor - or - take one of my tactical courses. To date, I have not offered a tactical training course in WI.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Originally Posted by davegran I took my Utah class several years ago under the auspices of Iowa Carry. It cost me $50.00 for most of the day, including a range session. We took it at the Isaac Walton Gun Club just West of Dubuque.
Can you be more specific about how many years ago "several years ago" was? My comment on local (local to WI) UT CFP class prices is no more than 30 days old. Based on the research I have done, many WI residents would gladly travel to IA to take the UT course for $50; particularly since that included range time. My more recent research indicates that the going fee for the UT CFP course is $140 - $160 per head in WI; with some courses including range time and others not - since UT has no range qualification requirements.

This past weekend I offered the UT CFP course to WI Carry members for $20 and for another ($30 MSRP for the course materials + $20 for the class including range time) I did the NRA basic pistol course. NRA Instructors in WI are getting $120 - $160 for the NRA Basic Pistol Course, so my students saved an average of $100.

I will be back to WI before the end of the summer to offer more discount courses to WI Carry members and Military Veterans. I did not become an NRA Certified Instructor to make money. I did so to help facilitate as many law abiding citizens to get firearms familiarity instruction as my circumstances would allow. (However, teaching courses in WI allows me to deduct my travel expenses.)

Disclaimer for certain Wisconsin tactical instructors: (The reader will note that the NRA Basic Pistol course DOES NOT include tactical instruction. The UT Concealed Firearm Permit Course likewise does NOT include tactical instruction.) For tactical instruction, you must see your local tactical instructor - or - take one of my tactical courses. To date, I have not offered a tactical training course in WI.
It was in 2008, a special one-time deal cooked up by Iowa Carry for their forum members. And a good time was had by all.... And it was advertised for a month in advance, instead of a few hours....

30b1h4y.jpg

Last edited:

Viper

I received my Utah concealed firearms permit on Saturday, August 20. Took the class at Deerfield Pistol and Archery on June 26. Roughly 8 weeks to get it, but who knows how long it took the instructor to send it out to Utah.

Deadscott

I received my Utah concealed firearms permit on Saturday, August 20. Took the class at Deerfield Pistol and Archery on June 26. Roughly 8 weeks to get it, but who knows how long it took the instructor to send it out to Utah.

Congrats! I mailed mine in Saturday Aug 20th. My wait is just begining.