• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To Serve and Protect?

MK

People think this site is anti-LEO? I thought if it were anything it would be anti liberal, anti Democrat? I see as much if not more bashing of those groups than I do of LEAs.

There are plenty of LEOs out there as well as Democrats or liberals that support our Second Amendment rights. There are also a sizable chunk from each of those groups that force there interations upon us in a manner we may deem as threatening to what we hold dear. Thus, the constant discussions or generalized and discriminatory disdain which can be quite unfair at times.

The same can be said in return for pro gun ownership. Some of us who wish to possess guns are going to be lumped in together with those who are out there misusing them, possibly with criminal intent, as well. I like to have the right and ability to carry a firearm but so does the gangster out there who wants to protect his bling and his stash or the felon who wants to rob that liquor store.

Personally, I am anti anyone who can't mind their own business and keep their noses out of my home, my finances, my family decisions and my body, which so happens to include my rights to protect myself with firearms. Sometimes there appears to be LEA, liberals, right wingers, relgious organizations, in-laws, courts, schools, government bodys, etc who wish to pry themselves into what should be our private lives even though we pose no threat or harm to anyone. Really, I find myself detesting anything or anyone who wants to exert control over me, my family or our property unless we are threatening harm or have caused harm to anyone.

eye95

People think this site is anti-LEO? I thought if it were anything it would be anti liberal, anti Democrat? I see as much if not more bashing of those groups than I do of LEAs...

Those possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

That being said, this SITE is not anti-LEO. Some of its MEMBERS clearly are.

Jack House

Not sure if this has been pointed out yet or not, but I have noticed that some PDs have dropped the "To Protect and Serve" motto from their patrol cars, namely Austin Texas and a few others from central.

NRAMARINE

It should read

" To collect revenue and enforce the will of elitists."

"oh..........you mean THAT, constitution............................................"

shotcop

Ga LEO (Ret)

I recently had a conversation with a LEO in my area about the subject of OC. His stance was that although it is legal in GA with a GWL, he doesn't want a bunch of "cowboys" running around showing off their weapons. I advised him that his perception of OC'ers is way off base, and that we OC simply for self defense and public education purposes. Anyway, his view was if you aren't LE you should conceal. Some LEO's are ignorant about OC, and some are informed, they just don't support it.

I am Ret LEO (shot and disabled 11yrs ago) and I for one would prefer people to oC. Someone wit hteir weapon in a holster carrying openly does not worry me nearly as much as the CC which lots of people like. Plus the sight of a gun is a definite deterrent to those with bad intentions, especially when more than one person carrying is present, bad guys like good odds. I now live in Co. as of ten days ago but Ret from Ga.

shotcop

That's exactly it. You have to be clear and confident without being disrespectful. A lot of cops or LEOs or whatever joined because they wanted a position of power and what position has more power than an officer? They are like sharks whenever they're around everyone just tries to blend into the background and get the heck out of there.

Geeez now you've hurt my feelings, good thing I'm a big boy. Ever thought that maybe having cops feel comfortable here and willing to take a stand with you might be more productive than fostering an us against them attitude? Everyone hunkers down to do battle when attacked. I'm with you on open carry but am not a power junkie and have only seen a few short careered ones

shotcop

Am I in the wrong place?

I agree with you completely, I was always taught to at least be polite to others. To treat them as I would want to be treated but that does not mean I will or have to give them my respect.

I grew up with quite a few people who ended up being LEO's for one department or another and most of them are good people but I do know 1 or 2 who were not very good people to begin with and once they joined a department their attitudes towards people went down hill from there, I know for a fact that at least one officer stole enough money off of a drug dealer to buy himself a Harley Davidson, this was communicated to 2 seperate LEO's one of whom was a Federal Officer and yet nothing was done at the time or afterwords to stop the abuses by this officer.

I learned that even "good" LEO's will not report their buddy's or fellow officers for most offenses, which is sad really considering the trust we as a society have placed in their hands.

Only been here a few days on this site and already feel like maybe it was a mistake. I am retired LEO and you're full of it. I neve worked with or covered for thugs with a badge. Everyone seems to have great opinions about a profession they actually know little about. Sorry to confront you in this way but can't help but feel this site doesn't like cops, hate to not like you back but I didn't post anti-citizen rants!!!

shotcop

Not so!

I read recently that a judge ruled being polite was "giving permission to search" where no permission was actually given. With rulings like that I would stop at being barely civil. No being polite.

Post the citation if this is true! Rumor mongering likes this serves no one but yourself.

eye95

shotcop: I am glad you are posting here. Unfortunately, we have a few people who never have a kind word for any LEO. They see and discuss only the incidents where LEOs have overstepped their authority and talk like that is all that happens, and that it always happens out of some sort of malice.

Let me assure you that most of the posters here believe that LEOs come from the same population as the rest of us, with a mix of good and bad, polite and arrogant, wannabe master and giving servant. When an officer violates my rights, I will not hesitate to point that out, as has happened twice. However, of the eight officers involved in the two stops, I found six to be polite and curious, just wrong on the law. One was ignorant and unwilling to hear different. One was hostile and probably would've arrested me had he not been one of four.

Not bad proportions, especially if you take into account all the officers who have witnessed me carrying and did nothing as there was nothing to do.

Just stay rational and let others emotionally rant. Who do you think folks will respect and heed?

Kloutier

My 2 Cents

I work for tech support and as support we see bugs in our product from time to time. We will get several hundred calls on the issue a week, and as support we thing that the product must suck. One day we where all sitting around the office talking about how our new product would be the death of us as an owner came by with some info. Our product had sold 2 million plus since release. In perspective 300 calls a week Vs 2 Million Plus sold is tiny. The point is if you only ever really hear the crap about a topic/person/subject then you will have that opinion based off of data that is not correct. Same comes with Leo Posts. Most times if some one comes and posts its about how bad an experience was.

I have posted this before but I had a cop stop me for expired plates and told him I had a gun in the car. He spoke to be about it and we disagreed on the law he took my info and went back to his car. He ( I am guessing) checked on the law and came back and told me I was right and was correct in the way I had my gun concealed with out a permit.

So I am not sure if OC.org has to create a section of the forms just for happy LEO stories or something for people to see that they are not bad but just the negative stories are mostly told or what.

palerider116

Shotcop,

Please stay involved with the forum because there needs to be balance here. While there are some here that delight in the deaths and injuries of any LEO, the vast majority are fair and balanced in their appraisal of LE. For those who continually speak ill of LE, there is nothing to be done about it. You can argue until you are blue in the face or medically retired from OCDO, but it will yield nothing.

There are friends and other LEO's on the forum. I for one have come to respect Eye95 for his fair and just approach when it comes to his dealings with LE. He has had negative experiences but he is the first to speak up when LE is being bashed or being treated unfairly.

Stay the course.

palerider116

Rationality and thoughtfulness makes a great post. Bad LEO's exist. Bad gun owners exist. We should seek to address all wrongs and support those who are right. A good gun owner and a good LEO should be the best of friends.

Armed citizens have assisted LEO's in distress and I'm confident that it will continue. We should stand together on making our communities safer and preserving the freedoms for future generations.

M

McX

Rationality and thoughtfulness makes a great post. Bad LEO's exist. Bad gun owners exist. We should seek to address all wrongs and support those who are right. A good gun owner and a good LEO should be the best of friends.

Armed citizens have assisted LEO's in distress and I'm confident that it will continue. We should stand together on making our communities safer and preserving the freedoms for future generations.

bad gun owners do indeed exist. they are called criminals. i pointed the fact out to the goons in Madison that we were their allies. my words were totally lost on them.

Deanimator

While those officers exist and always have, they are a very small minority and departments all over the country work hard to keep them a very small minority.

Too bad it is not possible to totally eliminate them.:exclaim:
Some departments are RUN by them, including Chicago, New Orleans and Philadelphia.

Not all cops are criminals, but a lot of cops in some departments certainly are. You can't have a home invasion/armed robbery/kidnapping ring operating INSIDE of a police department without a LOT of people knowing about it. The alternative explanation is that the personnel of that department (ESPECIALLY Internal Affairs) are so stunningly incompetent that they can't "detect" crime literally under their noses.

Deanimator

LEO have good folks and they bad folks just like we have good and we have bad people. LEO are humans and they make mistake like we do.
Running an armed robbery ring inside of a police department is no more of a "mistake" than any citizen robbing a liquor store is a mistake. Neither is sapping an elderly man handcuffed to a wheelchair.

Whenever some mugger or gangbanger maims or murders somebody, their mutant families and "posses" inevitably call it a mistake. When police who commit crimes and their supporters engage in the same infantile excuse making, that only makes them sound exactly like those same muggers and gangbangers.