• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Today's Doonesbury

Max Entropy

imported post

That reminds me of a story in George S. Patton's biography. He was sitting at a table carrying a loaded revolver. When he stood up, the hammer hit the bottom of the table and the gun fired. Nobody was injured. It was then that he truly learned the importance of keeping an empty chamber under the hammer.

No word on whether or not he said "My bad! Sorry!".

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Max Entropy wrote:
That reminds me of a story in George S. Patton's biography. He was sitting at a table carrying a loaded revolver. When he stood up, the hammer hit the bottom of the table and the gun fired. Nobody was injured. It was then that he truly learned the importance of keeping an empty chamber under the hammer.

I thought that rule only applied to the original Colt peacemakers. Is that what he was carrying?

Max Entropy

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Max Entropy wrote:

I thought that rule only applied to the original Colt peacemakers. Is that what he was carrying?
I don't remember. It was way back when he was with Blackjack Pershing persuing Pancho Villa. I'll see if I can find the book.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Max Entropy wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:
Max Entropy wrote:

I don't remember. It was way back when he was with Blackjack Pershing persuing Pancho Villa. I'll see if I can find the book.
According to this, he carried mostly one 1911, and occasionally added a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum. Most of the other rhetoric was as a result of the fertile minds of the press corps.
http://www.pattonhq.com/unknown/chap05.html

Yata hey