• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Topeka City Council considers banning open carry!

IanB

imported post

Good luck tonight! Can someone audio record the debate? Purty please?

K

KansasScout

imported post

I have kind of changed my mind, or at least clarified my thinking on open carry. While I whole heartedly support it and wish to see it available as much as possible, I do not think it's always the best idea to practice open carry at all times and at all places. I think common sense discretion is important so as to not unnecessarily frighten people and cause public relations problems with guns and gun owners at a time of unparalleled public acceptance of the second amendment.

It appears that individuals testing the waters provoked this response from the Topeka PD and city council. If they repeal the open carry law you now have there, then we will have lost.

Frankly, there are many times and places that do not require carrying guns. But in the event of disasters and riots and other disturbances if the right remains, you have the option available. If open carry is lost to Topeka, when trouble comes and your packing openly, they WILL confiscate your gun unless your on your property.

Topeka is a case where open carry when not really needed provoked a negative response and probably your going to lose the option.

In Mission Ks where I live, if I open carried everywhere I went, I guarantee a new city ordinance would be passed within weeks banning it. But if I did not provoke such a reaction and a wave of rabble crossed the creek over into Mission and began rioting, I could pack and not get in trouble.

I just think open carry is not applicable in all places in all times. To think otherwise is just being unrealistic. We have made HUGE strides as gun owners over the past 45 years. Concealed carry is available at a scale unimaginable a decade ago.

This could all change if open carry is carried to extremes. The reality is, this is Kansas, not Wyoming or Arizona. In the cow trail days in the old cow towns, they banned guns on the streets. We don't have the tradition of open carry as a publicly accepted practice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

KansasScout wrote:
Frankly, there are many times and places that do not require carrying guns.
Please tell us where this magic safety zone is.

In church, in shopping malls, in parks, while jogging perhaps?

Gun laws only penalize the good people, criminals ignore the law.

Yata hey

Walleye

imported post

KansasScout wrote:
Frankly, there are many times and places that do not require carrying guns.
Please do not allow yourself to think this way. While there are times and places where the probability of needing a gun are extremely low, the fact is there's little point in carrying a gun unless you're going to carry at all times (where legally allowed). This isn't even a question of open vs concealed; if you don't think you'll need it, you might as well just throw all your guns away.

marine0300

imported post

First, I apologize to everyone on opencarry.org for not keeping you current on the submitted ordinance to ban open carry in Topeka. We are trying to keep a low profile until the outcome of McDonald vs. Chicago U.S. Supreme Court Case in June has been revealed.

Well I am happy to report the ordinance has been tabled for lack of support. Overwhelmingly the citizens of Topeka do not support banning open carry outright. 3 to 1 Topeka does not want that right taken away.

The ordinance didn’t even get a first reading because pro open carry and individual rights supporters, who all were from Topeka, filled every seat in the council chamber. There are 148 seats in the chamber I counted.

This outcome only happened because a lot of people worked hard organizing the effort to fight the ordinance.

After the outcome of the Supreme Court case in June I will have much more to say about our efforts and the future of open carry in Kansas. One thing I do want to say if you don’t fight for your rights you will have them taken away. You have to organize and be ready to counter any effort to ban your rights.

A right is a right!

God Bless America

Marine0300

K

KansasScout

imported post

Then I rejoice with you all for this wonderful news! I still think we need to be mindful of Public relations in this endeavor to protect our rights as Kansas citizens. It will be interesting how the PD reacts to this. Will they harass open carryers?
Thanks for the update. Congratulations to the Topeka folks who pulled this off. As I said, while I personally don't think we should open carry at all times and at all places as a matter of common sense discretion, make no mistake, I support open carry in Kansas. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate