• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Torn between Two Guns

Which Gun do YOU Like Better

• Beretta 92fs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

UtahRSO

imported post

I have an XDm and I'd choose it again in a heartbeat. But my experience with the 92fs is just that I've dry-fired one a few times.

But my son owns an XD (and carried it as a security guard), and now he carries an M9 for his job as a Federal officer. So he's had experience with both, and has qualified with both. By far, his preference is the XD.

tntorqu

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
But the real question I have is why do you want to play around with a 9mm? diddnt you say you wanted it for defense?
There is nothing wrong with 9mm. There just as capable of taking down an assailant as a .40 or .45 would.

goalseter88

imported post

tntorqu wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
But the real question I have is why do you want to play around with a 9mm? diddnt you say you wanted it for defense?
There is nothing wrong with 9mm. There just as capable of taking down an assailant as a .40 or .45 would.
lol i agree whoever tells you that you have a lot better chance with a 45 then a 9mm hasn't looked up the stats. but i seen the FBI stats they put out on the chances of a 45 stopping a person in one shot over other calibers( 9mm was one of those calibers) the 380 cal was the lowest of all the calibers. but their wasn't more then a 5 percent difference in between the 45 cal and the 380. the 9mm was somewhere in the middle. so that being said if the 5 percent difference for the 380 and the 9mm in the middleit beeven less then 5 percent difference for the 9mm. so really your prob losing more on mag capacity then the caliber worth.

jcsftwre

imported post

Really no disrespect at all to no one. I will be getting a Springfield Armory XDM 9 mm. Why I know there is not B..A. out there that will walk away from 2 in the chest and 17 in the head. If a person can’t hit the head you really need to look into buying a few hand grenades. Most all of self defense will be shot placement! What will stop faster? 3, 45 rounds whizzing past the perp or a double tap and the chest and the restin the highest vital point? So much macho goes into larger caliber. Do you know what the most common caliber used by a gang banger is? 22 & 32 (at least what shows up in the ER) The most common caliber an officer uses? 9 mm the police get the bad guy because they know how to aim and hit what they aim at.

And again truly no disrespect to none just some things to think about. Darn I know if I was shot in the head with a 9 mm I would immediately stop what I was doing, piss my pants and drop like a rock. :shock:

(Moderator: if to inflammatory delete my comment)
P.S. (To add good link)

http://www.brassfetcher.com/9x19mm%20Geco%2084gr%20+P%20Action%201%20Bare%20Gelatin.html

This link shows real world testing of all cal. bullets on Bal. Gel. Interesting stuff and it can show what a round can do.

jcsftwre

imported post

I bought my XDM in a 9mm because I have confidence in my ability to shoot on target and to better that I have enrolled in a couple classes for now and will take advance classes when I have time and money. Sure there are a lot of stats that show a .40 or .45 kills with a higher % rate, I have to ask “Does all the people with a .40 or a .45 go out and shoot a few hundred rounds monthly? If not does cost have anything to do with it? I still say if a person can’t hit a target the size of a small watermelon in one shot they need to hit the range more.

My 2 cents.

thumper

imported post

Thelukaskezik wrote:
I've been contemplating my new gun purchase for a while, and I think I've finally narrowed it down to the Beretta 92fs and the XD(m) in 9mm.

I've read reviews and visited multiple websites, but I was wondering what the OC population has to say about each of these two guns, good or bad.

thanks1
Do not hesitate. Buy them both. Shoot the daylights out of them, for real. If you like 'em both, keep 'em both. If not, trade one, and buy something else.If you don't like either of 'em, trade 'em, &go get two more. Repeat.Simple. This method will allow you to accumulate more hardware for the arsenal over a shorter period of time. You must realize that there are no restrictions on acquisition of your tools.:cool::idea:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
When "they" start spraying Daniel Burd's high-school science project from airplanes, all you guys with polymer guns are going to wish you'd spent your money on 1911's and Beretta 92s.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/11/anton_wylie_phages/

Go with the all-metal firearm... ;)

Dreamer, first I want to say that in my time here I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts. They are highly informative, and you truly are a blessing to this community. I really do have a lot of respect for you, and hope to one day meet you in the flesh at a NC OC meetup.

That being said - you've got me doing a fair bit of head-scratching with that last post. I think you're overly paranoid about this plastic-eating fungi thing. I've seen you refer to this several times now, and I've just got to put in my 2-cents. Here's how I see it: Pretty much every law enforcement agency, as well as every branch of the US armed forces uses polymer-framed weapons to some extent or another. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't know of any branch of the armed forces that is still using only firearms composed solely of metal & wood. So if your paranoid nightmare were to come to fruition, the guns belonging to the military & all the law enforcement agencies would be F'd-up along with those of private citizens. I can't see the government doing that.

Also, a whole lot more than just firearms would be affected. As a society, we are fairly dependant upon plastic - not just the little cards in our wallets either, LOL. I really can't see the government doing something that is going to pretty muchobliteratewhat was arguably one of the greatest advancements of the 20th century.

Is there some angle you have on this that I'm missing that would somehow lend credence to your concerns? Please, tell me that every time you bring this up it is merely your dry-wit humor & you don't really believe that this is something we should be concerned about :question:

Thelukaskezik

imported post

I really like this thread and the comments I've received.

Two months ago, I did post that I ended up getting a Sig P226R instead of either of the two I was looking at.

Since that time, I've accrued some other firearms tho - a Beretta 92, a Beretta 96, and a Taurus PT111.

I love the Berettas and the Sig, and the Taurus is awesome for it's purpose (CC).

Maybe i'll add an XD to the family later.

Dreamer

imported post

Ruger wrote:
Please, tell me that every time you bring this up it is merely your dry-wit humor & you don't really believe that this is something we should be concerned about :question:

I'll just put it this way. I DO own a polmyer frame firearm--a Walther P22. And one of these days, I'll probably get a Glock, just to say I have one.

But every gun I trust for my personal safety (carry and home defense) is made entirely of steel and wood--Para Ordnance S-14.45 and Mossberg 500.

I'll let you do the math...

But yeah, you're right. The government would NEVER engage in some sort of action that would destroy or endanger technology, social advancement, liberty, or civilization as we know it...

Manhattan Project
--(many physicists on the project theorized that an atomic detonation might cause the entire atmosphere to undergo combustion or even fission)

Allowing the use of non-grounded microchips in ALL non-military electronics including commercial airliners--for less than $0.00.5 (that's half a cent) per chip, ALL integrated circuits could be protected against EMP--as it is, they are ALL vulnerable...

Burying chemical weapons on military land, which was later sold to commercial developers who where not told was was under the surface--in the 1990's a real estate developer in NoVa discovered while digging footers for a new apartment complex that there were HUNDREDS of canisters of Mustard Gas, Clorine gas, and Phosgene buried there after WW1.

Oh, yeah, and they found more Mustard gas canisters buried on the American University campus just last year (2009). It had been there since the end of WWI also...

And we wont even go into the Tuskeegee experiment, or the The Fernald School, or IBM's integral part in the "Final Solution" during WWII, or the fact that the Taliban was CREATED by Zbignew Brzezinski[size="+2"][/size] while he was working as Carter's National Security Advisor--ALL these things occurred with the blessings of the US government...

Yeah, they'd NEVER do ANYTHING that would be a threat to the health, welfare, or liberty of the people of this nation--or the whole world. Never...

I don't mean nothin' by all that... I'm just sayin'...

"How many fingers am I holding up now, Winston?"

tnhawk

imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
I have a Beretta 92fs and a XD40. I carry the XD40. Both have been flawless in operation. I just prefer the 40s&w over the 9mm. I would expect there is very little difference between the XD40 and the XDM.
I also have a 92fs and XD40sc. Both are dependable guns, but I'd rather carry the XD.

mack91

imported post

If you are going for either the beretta 92 vs a compact xd I would take the compact in case you got a concealed weapons permit in the future it would be easier to conceal. but if you don't plan on getting a cwp and it's just for oc than I would get the beretta. Me personally I like the beretta's,And ruger p95's. But The xd compact and sub compact are great guns for concealed carry.

Trick

imported post

XDM-9.....2009 NRA gun of the year! They just released the XDM-45 a few weeks ago.

I've had one for about a year and it is a pleasure to operate.