• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traffic Stop leads to federal charges; all charges thrown out (Police Misconduct)

scouser

Sometimes the problem comes from the top. As I indicated, Norton is now a Hopewell Sheriff's Deputy. This could be a problem because it's well known that their department has a notorious speed trap along a small stretch of I-295. AAA called them out on it; the sheriff claimed offense:

The General Assembly said enough:

Virginia General Assembly puts brakes on speed traps

Hopewell employs 11 sheriff’s deputies working in 14-hour shifts to patrol 1.7 miles of interstate highway. Nearly three-fourths of the tickets were issued to out-of-state motorists who are unlikely to return to contest the citations, according to AAA.

didn't Bloomie once say "Virginia should be honored to take (money from) New York's trash" :lol:

It's a well known speed trap, "the million dollar mile"
from the above link said:
The city's sheriff, Greg Anderson, a 63-year-old Vietnam veteran, really hates speeders.
"Don't drive 81 miles per hour or higher in this city, or you are going to get a ticket," Anderson said
I-295 has a 70mph speed limit on that stretch, people who drive that road regularly KNOW about the speed trap, that's why it's out of state motorists getting nailed at a higher rate. It's also pretty well known to those of us who drive in Virginia that 80mph and above is the speed where 'reckless driving' tickets are given out. Also, it's not as if the Hopewell deputies hide behind landscaping, most times I have reason to drive through that area I can see them from over a quarter of a mile away parked on the right shoulder at the end of the armco barrier.

As much as I dislike speed traps, this one isn't a secret. If the occasional motorist with yankee plates gets the opportunity to hand over some of their cash to the City of Hopewell I, for one, am not going to lose any sleep over it considering the times I've been cut off or tailgated or (you-name-it) by people driving cars registered in the North-East.

Last edited:

solus

To his first question, my response would be, "I have nothing illegal in my vehicle."

To his second question, my response would be, "I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person, papers or property."

... and my recorder would be running during the entire encounter.

as usual, 'may i help you officer?" followed by 'am i free to go?' repeat as necessary!!

ditto on recorder as well as my fone...

ipse

Last edited:

scouser

So, imagine anyone here being stopped by Deputy Norton ... for speeding. After being issued a ticket, he says ...

Norton: "So, do you have any weapons or drugs in your vehicle?"

You: "No."

Norton: "Okay; do you mind if I search your vehicle, just to be sure?"

You: [What would your response be to him?]

I would hope that after reading this thread no one here would put themselves in the situation of being stopped by Deputy Norton (or any of his colleagues) for speeding. Keep in mind that there are also plenty of signs in Hopewell that state that the citywide speed limit is "25mph unless posted otherwise" and use that knowledge when in the city limits, ESPECIALLY if their Interstate cash cow dries up, as they're going to have to find other sources of revenue to pay for those extra deputies they hired

Last edited:

Repeater

To his first question, my response would be, "I have nothing illegal in my vehicle."

To his second question, my response would be, "I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person, papers or property."

... and my recorder would be running during the entire encounter.

That is the voice of experience.

Since so many now have Smart Phones, what is the best advice in Virginia for using a Smart Phone to video record the encounter?

• Best not to use it, because it's provocative?
  • Ask first?
  • Just start using it anyway until the LEO *asks* you to stop?
  • Just start using it anyway ... period?
Wow, look at the [strike]toys[/strike] apps for possible use in Virginia:

ACLU launches 'Mobile Justice' smartphone app to empower public to record police encounters
ACLU unveils smartphone app for recording and reporting police misconduct

It’s been said that the camera is the new gun. Well, a smartphone without a streaming app is akin to a firearm without ammo.

New smartphone app records police and uploads video to the Internet, automatically

Repeater

Herring investigating Norton

This could be helpful: Richmond Commonwealth’s Attorney Michael N. Herring is investigating ...

Richmond prosecutor is probing cases of ex-detective
The convictions of 17 people who are still locked up or under court supervision may have been compromised by a former Richmond narcotics investigator whose misconduct already has resulted in three federal cases being thrown out.

The convictions are among nearly 100 involving ex-Detective Jason Norton and under review by the office of Commonwealth’s Attorney Michael N. Herring, who said they all are presumed to be tainted unless the investigation proves otherwise.

This seems pretty good, up until Herring talks about guns:
As a hypothetical example, Herring said there could have been an accusation that Norton wrongly attributed the source of information that led to the recovery of an illegal gun. If that could have been corroborated, Herring’s office would have done something about it, he said.

“But, to be honest, while the ends certainly do not justify the means, we would be thankful that the illegal gun was removed from the street,” Herring said.

So, the ends justify the means? And there's no such thing as an illegal gun. STOP saying that.