• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UN Arms Treaty

ManInBlack

A salute does not have to be earned, you just have to be an officer. Like I said it goes with the rank, not the man.

Handshake is to informal, foreign officers do and have commanded US forces. Image military efficiencies if US troops didn't have to follow allied commanders.

I'm sure you can cite the constitutional authority for the federal government to put American military assets under the command of foreigners.

/sarcasm

stainless1911

Banned
MIB I dont think you understand, the .gov does what the .gov does. The days of going by the book and the constitution are over.

Ven, a handshake is a form of a salute. The person is placing their weapon hand in your hand, as a sign of peace. Through history and tradition, it is the most appropriate way.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

MIB I dont think you understand, the .gov does what the .gov does. The days of going by the book and the constitution are over.

I understand perfectly. I oppose folks who seem to accept the status quo and attempt to figure out the best way to function within it, rather than spending time on the far more important work of dismantling it entirely.

Last edited:

Yance

Just a brief slice of the pie, while in basic this is drilled into your head so you dont mess up, they also tell you "when in doubt, whip it out" because its better to look like a fool saluting someone that isnt an officer (it happens a lot especially if you are unfamiliar with the rank structure of other branches. such as the navy, their petty officer rank is easily confused for a full bird colonel if youre new...I know cause it happened to me...) you can salute any person in uniform, its a formal greeting, like shaking a hand but more suitable in a military setting. Lots of information in the link provided so feel free to check it out and read up it.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/salute.htm

Persons Entitled to a Salute

•The President of the United States (Commander-in-Chief)
•Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers
•Any Medal of Honor Recipient
•Officers of Friendly Foreign Countries
A salute is also rendered

•When the United States National Anthem, "To the Color," "Hail to the Chief," or foreign national anthems are played.
•To uncased National Color outdoors.
•On ceremonial occasions (such as Change of Command, and Military Parades).
•At reveille and retreat ceremonies, during the raising or lowering of the flag.
•During the sounding of honors.
•When the Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S. flag is being recited outdoors.
•When turning over control of formations.
•When rendering reports.

Any military person recognizing a need to salute or a need to return one may do so anywhere at any time.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

Lets not forget that the School of The Americas is located on Ft. Benning, I have had to salute quite a few foreign military officers, not saying that I particularly enjoyed it but thats the military. You don't have to like it, but you damn sure have to do it!

xarmy9

The US Army Intelligence Center and School regularly trains foreign military officers. I've saluted many US officers I don't respect, so why not salute friendly foreign officers. Remember that an officer must return a salute, so really it's the only thing an enlisted soldier can make an officer do. We had a warrant officer in our company that hated being saluted. We all liked him, and to mess with him, would line up about 10 feet apart in a long line from the parking lot to the area where we did PT in the morning so he would have to salute our entire platoon one at a time. It was fantastic.

NHCGRPR45

The US Army Intelligence Center and School regularly trains foreign military officers. I've saluted many US officers I don't respect, so why not salute friendly foreign officers. Remember that an officer must return a salute, so really it's the only thing an enlisted soldier can make an officer do. We had a warrant officer in our company that hated being saluted. We all liked him, and to mess with him, would line up about 10 feet apart in a long line from the parking lot to the area where we did PT in the morning so he would have to salute our entire platoon one at a time. It was fantastic.

Yes, I have been party to raising the blood pressure of officers. A brand new LT was always giving our detail a hard time so we would wait till he was going from the barrack area back to HQ and about 12 of us would stage at the corners or the streets that he had to walk past and salute him. By the time he got where he was going that big fat vein was sticking out so far that you could Captain Jack cadence with it from 100 meters off. He did after about 3 weeks of him making our lives suck, and us returning the favor that a more fair detail schedule was maintained. He eventually became one of the best CO's we ever had. Hes at 10th Mountain Division now.