• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unaccompanied Minor open carrying a black powder revolver?

WalkingWolf

On the same subject just under different circumstances could I open carry while hunting ALONE in an area where it is non-public and hunting is legal. I would still be packing an 1851 colt navy .44 black powder revolver. If your wondering I will be going after rabbits, and rattlers (my friend saved my life when I nearly stepped on one that was positioned to strike and he hacked it on the head with a stick). So do you guys think it would be fine if I was open carrying when legally going after game without my parent.

I wouldn't count on a handgun to save you from a striking rattlesnake, unless you are very fast and have snake loads. Know where you are stepping is the best measure against snakes, and possibly a walking stick.

amorse1

I wouldn't count on a handgun to save you from a striking rattlesnake, unless you are very fast and have snake loads. Know where you are stepping is the best measure against snakes, and possibly a walking stick.

I have snake loads that I use, but I more just keep my eyes out for them and hopefully I see some cause my mom sure can cook a good rattlesnake stew. :banana:

amorse1

Your dad's experience and knowledge are great resources for training safety and marksmanship, but not for the laws in your state.

Insofar as can you carry when hunting on private land (presume not your own) - what does the law say and what are the hunting regulations? Those are the better questions. Have you researched these at all?

Grapeshot are there any laws in AZ that require you to go through training first? Sorry can you just reword it better. :)
I tried checking the hunting regs and they are very broad. Nowhere does it say that anyone under 18 can not go hunting without someone 18 or over.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03111.htm
This law seems to say that I can because I am not in the public and it is on national forest land.
What can you guys infer from this law?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot are there any laws in AZ that require you to go through training first? Sorry can you just reword it better. :)
I tried checking the hunting regs and they are very broad. Nowhere does it say that anyone under 18 can not go hunting without someone 18 or over.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03111.htm
This law seems to say that I can because I am not in the public and it is on national forest land.
What can you guys infer from this law?

I do not purport to be the AZ expert, but consider any training a good thing. My remark prior was obviously in general terms.

It would appear that no license is required to hunt with your circumstances.
http://phoenix.about.com/od/sportsandrecreation/a/hunting.htm

But that licensed person 18 yo must accompany - note no citation
A person under 14 may hunt wildlife other than big game without a license when accompanied by a properly licensed person 18 years or older. (Don't see a reference to those between 14 and 18 yo)
http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/env-res/minimum-hunting-age-statutes.aspx

National Forest land is public land.

amorse1

I do not purport to be the AZ expert, but consider any training a good thing. My remark prior was obviously in general terms.

It would appear that no license is required to hunt with your circumstances.
http://phoenix.about.com/od/sportsandrecreation/a/hunting.htm

But that licensed person 18 yo must accompany - note no citation
A person under 14 may hunt wildlife other than big game without a license when accompanied by a properly licensed person 18 years or older. (Don't see a reference to those between 14 and 18 yo)
http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/env-res/minimum-hunting-age-statutes.aspx

National Forest land is public land.

Doy!!!!! :banghead: Yeah umm forgot that national forest land doesn't mean my private hundred thousand acres hahaha :shocker:
But so from what I am gathering it would be alright under these circumstances?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Jake8x7

Activist Member
Although I have little to offer to this thread, I want to loudly applaud you gentlemen for responding appropriately to this young man's general concern for his safety. When I saw the header, I feared it would become a scolding match between the older folks for what some might consider his attempt to "push the envelope". As another young person (although a few years older than this man) I completely understand your frustration concerning what should be an inalienable right to self defense. Carry on with what you're doing in life (no pun intended), and ill be glad when you're legally included with the rest of us gun owners when you turn 18.

Continue to use your head,
Jake8x7

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Nascar24Glock

On the same subject just under different circumstances could I open carry while hunting ALONE in an area where it is non-public and hunting is legal. I would still be packing an 1851 colt navy .44 black powder revolver. If your wondering I will be going after rabbits, and rattlers (my friend saved my life when I nearly stepped on one that was positioned to strike and he hacked it on the head with a stick). So do you guys think it would be fine if I was open carrying when legally going after game without my parent.

Here is the relevant statute (once again, from 13-3111):

"B. This section does not apply to a person who is fourteen, fifteen, sixteen or seventeen years of age and who is any of the following:

1. Engaged in lawful hunting or shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.

2. Engaged in lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm for the purpose of lawful hunting."

So, in my personal interpretation, here is what this means for you if you want to use this "loophole #2."

1. Wherever you are hunting, it must be legal to hunt on the land where you are hunting; and it must be legal to hunt the specific animal for which you are hunting (i.e., "in season"). Check with your local game warden, Fish and Wildlife organization, or equivalent for this information.

2. Unless you are actually hunting at that specific moment in time, the firearm should be unloaded. If you're not hunting or going to/from hunting grounds, don't carry it at all (at least, not under this provision).

3. Assuming you are also bringing along a long gun for the actual animal hunting, I would personally recommend that you load both the pistol and the long gun with rounds that are appropriate for game. While the statute doesn't require this, I recommend it so that an officer will be less likely to say "that pistol is not being used for hunting; so, you're a minor illegally possessing it..."

4. Have your story straight before you even leave your house. Know exactly where you're going (i.e. the location where it is lawful to hunt) and what animal you plan to hunt (that's "in season," of course). When an officer questions you, just simply say "officer, I am engaged in lawful hunting; this/these gun(s) are being lawfully used/transported for that purpose." Beyond that, keep your mouth shut! You have the Fifth Amendment for a reason; so, use it! See why here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc (it's a little lengthy; but it contains a lot of good information on exercising your 5th Am. rights; ask around here if you want some more information on exercising these rights).

Disclaimer (yep, gotta include it :p): I am not a lawyer. None of the above is, or should be construed as, legal advice. I accept no civil or criminal responsibility for any actions you may or may not take based on this information. For actual legal advice, consult an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction.

Last edited:

amorse1

Here is the relevant statute (once again, from 13-3111):

"B. This section does not apply to a person who is fourteen, fifteen, sixteen or seventeen years of age and who is any of the following:

1. Engaged in lawful hunting or shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.

2. Engaged in lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm for the purpose of lawful hunting."

So, in my personal interpretation, here is what this means for you if you want to use this "loophole #2."

1. Wherever you are hunting, it must be legal to hunt on the land where you are hunting; and it must be legal to hunt the specific animal for which you are hunting (i.e., "in season"). Check with your local game warden, Fish and Wildlife organization, or equivalent for this information.

2. Unless you are actually hunting at that specific moment in time, the firearm should be unloaded. If you're not hunting or going to/from hunting grounds, don't carry it at all (at least, not under this provision).

3. Assuming you are also bringing along a long gun for the actual animal hunting, I would personally recommend that you load both the pistol and the long gun with rounds that are appropriate for game. While the statute doesn't require this, I recommend it so that an officer will be less likely to say "that pistol is not being used for hunting; so, you're a minor illegally possessing it..."

4. Have your story straight before you even leave your house. Know exactly where you're going (i.e. the location where it is lawful to hunt) and what animal you plan to hunt (that's "in season," of course). When an officer questions you, just simply say "officer, I am engaged in lawful hunting; this/these gun(s) are being lawfully used/transported for that purpose." Beyond that, keep your mouth shut! You have the Fifth Amendment for a reason; so, use it! See why here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc (it's a little lengthy; but it contains a lot of good information on exercising your 5th Am. rights; ask around here if you want some more information on exercising these rights).

Disclaimer (yep, gotta include it :p): I am not a lawyer. None of the above is, or should be construed as, legal advice. I accept no civil or criminal responsibility for any actions you may or may not take based on this information. For actual legal advice, consult an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction.

Well sir that is some pretty good advice and a pretty good interpretation of that law. So what I will do is when just going to the hunting ground I will not have the caps on the revolver that way it is considered "unloaded". Or I could just have it disasembled but the cylinder loaded in my pack. I have never encountered one person in this area I hike, but I actually have a 20 second explanation memorized for anyone that asks what I am doing. :lol:
By the way thank you everyone for the respectful responses. I really appreciate it. Like Jake said I think it is very professional and "cool" of you guys to try and help me over giving me reasons nor to carry. You all understand the predicament I am in and have been trying to help.

Last edited: