• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unleashed Dogs

David.Car

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
I think the problem is that too many kids strap on a pistol and look for an excuse to use it in a situtaion that, in their minds, is supposedly consquence-free. They seemtothink that any dog that's barking and approaching at anything other than a slow trot is "attacking" and therefore they can shoot. If a dog is actually attacking me, my wife, anyone else and I'm unable to pull the dog off, avoid and turn the attack, then yes, I'll shoot too. I won't go into the whole "if you can't keep your dog from running loose/if you can't keep your dog from barking" thing other than to say that whilenot everyone is cut out to be a pet owner, those who shoot off at the mouth with such shallow, know-it-all comments need to STFU until they actually get a clue.
1. Your first sentence is a typical lib anti view on the world and frankly is a stereo-type and a close minded opinion.

2. Slow Trot defense is situational. To you a dog running full speed with mouth open and drool flying looks like a puppy ready to play, to another person (maybe someone who has even been attacked by a dog before) it looks like a nightmare. If it is that second person, and you have already failed your dog by being unable to constrain it to your own property, you may very well have a dead dog, and guess what. You will be responsible for that dogs life, not the shooter.

3. "If a dog is actually attacking me, my wife, anyone else and I'm unable to pull the dog off, avoid and turn the attack, then yes, I'll shoot too."

If it gets to the point your dog has already in the act of attacking someone, and you are of a close minded enough point of view you think that person should wait for you to try and restrain the dog, or let it attack you before taking things to the next stage with a bullet, than you are not of logical thinking. The moment any dog puts its teeth into someone else, it is dead. None of this "WAIT! I can get it off, let me try! Oh no! Now I can't control, okay... Now it is okay to shoot!" That is just ignorant thinking.

4. Check the italic bold sentence... Than go back and read your posts prior to this one... I think you just told your self what to do.

tittiger

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Protector84, if you've got something to say to me about being a dog owner, say it. Don't bandy words.

As far as "rights" show me where in the US Consitution you have a right to go anywhere. Your "right" to walk down the street and to have a quiet nightis the same "right" that dog owners have.You seem to have a hard time understanding what "rights" are. You do not have a "right" to walk down the street, nor do you have a "right" to a quiet, bark-free night.If it troubles you that much, buy a set of ear plugs. You have that "right" too.

Barking dogs? Yes, dogs bark. Children scream and and holler when they play. Children ocassionally run off of their parents' property just like dogs run off of their masters' property. There's even less excuse for poorly-behaved children because you at least reason with them. Ever try to reason with an animal? Did you ever consider that perhaps a dog's barking is not just a greeting, but also a way to warn his master? I encourage my dogs to bark when they hear the doorbell, someone's in the yard, etc...

You'd also do well consider your comments about being threatened with deadly force by a dog versus your "right" to draw and shoot. There are thousands of dog bites per year, but damned few deaths attributed to dog bites. Based on that logic, it would appear a dog bite is not a threat of "deadly force." I don't know you, but you strike me as some kid with a holster on his hip and a chip on his shoulder and waaaay too much testosterone. One final hint for you about canine behavior, run away from a dog and he will chase you.

That said, should anybody shoot my dog in a public street, I will shoot back. No threat, just a promise.
I don't think that we have to substantiate that a dog is a deadly threat to take it down.

Merely that you have an expectation that it was going to cause you harm.

I am under no obligation to get bit. One never knows ahead of time the extent of the potential injury. Using your logic you should not even shoot at someone leveling a gun at your face because only 25% of gun shots are fatal.

Joe
http://truthtribune.com

machron1

imported post

Last night I was walking my dog, when I saw a gigantic black Rotweiler type dog, off its leash, with no owner in sight, sniffing in some bushes. I looked to see if it maybe was in front of its house, but it was actually at a dental clinic! Luckily I saw it before it saw us, so I slowly walked backwards with my right hand on my gun (which was on my hip in the open where it's supposed to be). When I got to the corner and out of sight of the dog, I quickly walked down the street and took a different route home.

I know my gun didn't technically help me in the situation, but I feel it was such a close call that it warrants mention, because it could have very easily gone the other way (in fact, I'm surprised my dog didn't bark, triggering god knows what).

It also illustrates your first defense should always be situational awareness, and avoidance if possible/prudent.

hk955

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
So why is it that in so many cases I hear of the police having to shoot a dog, and animal control officers carry guns not only for humans, but for the dogs also.

You said one dog can not kill a person :?I think one can. The picture I added is a Cane Corso IT IS A MONSTER:shock:This kind of dog killed a lady in San Francisco some years ago, I will shoot this dog if it ever attacked me and would not think twice.

If a lab attacked me I may not shoot it.

I do more reading here than anything, as you can probably tell from a post count. But, the dogs you are referring to as Killing that lady in San Fransico were Presa Canarios. Not the same animal.

I have a Cane Corso/Rotty mix. He's about 3 years old and still has some filling out to do, but pushes about 85 pounds. While he is the most unsecure freaking dog alive (if you want to take anything in the house, just bring an ironing board.....he'ss scatter!!)he looks the part of a mean K9.

Oh, and I have two other dogs with no such fear of a ironing board, so stay away from my house!!! :dude:

Legba

imported post

xd.40 wrote:
Also, the rabies shot is a 3 shot series and isn't all that bad. I had to get them for my work in animal control.
Sorry if this is too OT, but I'm curious... When I had rabies shots (suspect animal bite about 15 years ago), I had a total of about 10 shots, including gamma-globulin and tetanus. It's not bad - they don't do the harpoon-in-the-belly thing any more - but the whole series took about 2 months. Do they have a newer vaccine?

-ljp

KBCraig

imported post

Legba wrote:
xd.40 wrote:
Also, the rabies shot is a 3 shot series and isn't all that bad. I had to get them for my work in animal control.
Sorry if this is too OT, but I'm curious... When I had rabies shots (suspect animal bite about 15 years ago), I had a total of about 10 shots, including gamma-globulin and tetanus. It's not bad - they don't do the harpoon-in-the-belly thing any more - but the whole series took about 2 months. Do they have a newer vaccine?

-ljp
The vaccination against possible exposure, and the prophylactic treatment after exposure, are different regimens.

Legba

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Legba wrote:
xd.40 wrote:

-ljp
The vaccination against possible exposure, and the prophylactic treatment after exposure, are different regimens.

That makes sense, and thank you for not calling them "regimes." ;-/

-ljp

G

imported post

Regarding dogs:

I used to do some part-time work moving equipment to and from an industrial warehouseon evenings and weekends. The neighboring warehouse had several large, aggressive Rottweilers inside their fence for security, and they would bark at us at night when we were returning equipment to the warehouse.

I carry one of those Photon mini-LED flashlights on my keyring. One night, it seemed to me that the barking dogs sounded closer than usual, and I had a concern that maybe the dogs had gotten out of the fence, so I shined my little LED flashlight to have a look. The dogs retreated, yelping! I guess they didn't like the bright light. So I definitely recommend getting a mini-LED light for your keychain for temporarily blinding hostile varmints at night.

The guy who sells stun guns at the gun show says the crackling sound of a stun gun scares dogs silly - he said one of his customers is a lady real estate agent who was showing a house, and the owners forgot to secure their big dog. It started to charge her and the prospective home buyers until she turned on the stun gun, and then it ran and hid whimpering under a bed. Sounds good to me, no harm done.

stevenh512

imported post

While I don't necessarily agree with all the reasons some people have given for why they might shoot a dog, I do agree that sometimes you have to do it. Oddly enough, the only time I've ever had to fire a gun in self-defense was a couple days ago when I was threatened with "deadly force or great bodily injury" by animals. I don't want to take *any* life, animal or human, unless it's absolutely necessary but I will do whatever I feel I have to do to defend myself.. anyway, here's my story..

As I've mentioned before, I live in the desert and there are a lot of wild animals around here. My first real experience with "open carry" was when I moved out to this part of the desert and my neighbor had to shoot a rattlesnake that was ready to strike at him.. but back to the story at hand.

The other night I woke up at around 3am to the sound of my dogs barking, unusual at that time of night. I looked out my window and saw nothing, so I decided to grab my 9mm and see what the problem was. I went outside and noticed that my gate was unlocked and wide open, most likely I forgot to lock it before I went to bed and the desert wind blew it open. I went to close the gate and got about halfway there (keep in mind that's quite a little walk from my front door, I'm sitting on 5 acres) when I noticed four pairs of eyes staring at me. I only have two dogs outside so that didn't add up. I looked around and noticed that I was surrounded by a pack of wild coyotes who were staring at me like I was their next meal.

Like I said, I don't want to take any life unless it's absolutely necessary, but I knew if I did nothing I was probably going to be killed or seriously injured. Running back to my front door was not an option. I don't know how my dogs managed to keep from being attacked. I ended up firing one shot into the sand next to the coyote directly in front of me and then raised my 9mm to point directly at its face. The coyotes scattered, I didn't end up having to shoot any of them, so I looked around to make sure they were gone, locked my gate, and came inside to go back to bed.

There are no laws in my town against discharging a firearm, none of the neighbors seemed to notice the noise, so law enforcement was never called (I would have called the Sheriff's Department and animal control myself if I had to shoot one of the coyotes).

dt

imported post

To whoever it was who said they they would shoot back if someone had to shoot their dog - you are a complete fool. I hope you come to your senses before you kill some innocent.

The only time I thought I was really going to have to draw my weapon was when my wife, kids, and Iwere taking a walk in our neighborhood. Some type of large dog (don't know my breeds very well, looked like a pit type) came rushing out from behind a nearby house. Teeth bared, barking and snarling, tail down... sorry no way was this puppy looking to play. I reached for my CC handgun (this incident actually pushed me to the whole OC thing), and was in the process of drawing when the dog stopped 5-10 feet away from us due to it's owner screaming at the top of her lungs from the house. We moveddown the streetand that was that. Thankfully.

What kind of pyschonutball would actually believe that I should have waited until this mutt was chewing on my toddler's face before I fired? I do not care what the chances of my child getting killed by said dog are, or where your twisted mind cares to draw the line designating serious physical harm. Anyone whowould puta dog's life ahead ofANY child's physical welfare is not fitto be a parent and ought to have their head examined.

If a charging dog that is not obviously being playful gets within a certain distance of my wife or kids - its dead. End of story. 5 rds of JHP .357 and then the 4" serrated lockblade comes out if its still a threat.

Before anyone accuses me of being a dog hater: I grew up having dogs, many of them. I had several that had to be put down because they infringed on other people's rights. I was a sad kid, but I understood that we were responsible for them and that was the way it had to be. We had one great lab mix that was the perfect dog for years: stayed home, calm, great around kids, didn't bark at night, and caught moles to boot. Then one day out of the blue she nipped at a toddler. Didn't even break the skin, but the dog was put down within the week.