• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOC Blood Drive in Temecula?

coolusername2007

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
OK, let's try to get this thread back on track...

I will be the point of contact for all the UOC'ers.  Let's start the ROLL CALL.  Please either post here or send me a PM.  Thanks.

I would like to know how many are planning on attending this event.

All are welcome to attend whether giving blood or not and whether UOC'ing or not.  We will be handing out brochures, talking with the general public about UOC, and there may be reporters present.

Event Details:

December 23, 2009

9:30am to 3pm

In front of the National Guard Recruiting office (Temecula)

https://www.givelife.org/index.cfm?group=op&expand=664447&zc=92590

Reminder of the upcoming blood drive event.  Please let me know if you're planning on attending.

Bump

coolusername2007

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:
OK, let's try to get this thread back on track...

I will be the point of contact for all the UOC'ers. Let's start the ROLL CALL.Please either post here or send me a PM.Thanks.

I would like to know how many are planning on attending this event.

All are welcome to attend whether giving blood or not and whether UOC'ing or not. We will be handing out brochures, talking with the general public about UOC, and there may be reporters present.

Event Details:

December 23, 2009

9:30am to 3pm

In front of the National Guard Recruiting office (Temecula)

https://www.givelife.org/index.cfm?group=op&expand=664447&zc=92590

Reminder of the upcoming blood drive event. Please let me know if you're planning on attending.

Bump

Bump...hope to see some of you tomorrow morning.

chewy352

imported post

Sorry cool we wont be able to make it. It has been a crazy week with everyone sick, my detainment, and the wife being in the ER for 10 hours.

coolusername2007

imported post

Thanks for the heads up, not to worry. Hope everyone gets better before Christmas. I was sick for about two weeks and missed the last meetup...that really sucked.

I will still be there tomorrow morning.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Forgive me, as I am probably not the best person to respond to this- and there is no doubt that my comment will probably not be popular.

If I understand the situation correctly this was a blood drive to benefit the Red Cross. In other words it was a charity event so that the Red Cross would not run low on blood during the holiday season.

Now that the Red Cross has backed out on the day of the event, regardless of the reason, there is an invitation to communicate disgust or dismay with this turn of events.

The Red Cross is a charitible organization and is dependent upon volunteers for much of the boots on the ground it isnt always possible for them to do all the things we might ask of them. Unlike the government, they do not have the funding, manpower, the bureaucratic might to mandate or enforce entitlements.

Neither should they.

Becauseoncetheir contributions or servicesbecome an entitlement, it ceases to be charitable. It would be no different in my view if someone outside their organization lambasted their organization for not meeting an obligation for circumstances beyond their contol.

The Red Cross doesnt owe their services to anyone...and we shouldnt expect them to.

ChuckBooty

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Forgive me, as I am probably not the best person to respond to this- and there is no doubt that my comment will probably not be popular.

If I understand the situation correctly this was a blood drive to benefit the Red Cross. In other words it was a charity event so that the Red Cross would not run low on blood during the holiday season.

Now that the Red Cross has backed out on the day of the event, regardless of the reason, there is an invitation to communicate disgust or dismay with this turn of events.

The Red Cross is a charitible organization and is dependent upon volunteers for much of the boots on the ground it isnt always possible for them to do all the things we might ask of them. Unlike the government, they do not have the funding, manpower, the bureaucratic might to mandate or enforce entitlements.

Neither should they.

Becauseoncetheir contributions or servicesbecome an entitlement, it ceases to be charitable. It would be no different in my view if someone outside their organization lambasted their organization for not meeting an obligation for circumstances beyond their contol.

The Red Cross doesnt owe their services to anyone...and we shouldnt expect them to.

So because it's a charity they should be able to do whatever they want? Don't you think that everyone who helped plan the event on the military side and everyone who had put this on their calendar several weeks ago would rather have been home on leave (like most of us ARE) rather be at home enjoying their families? Don't look passed the fact that the Army National Guard spent time, money, and other resources on this even. All in the name of CHARITY! And for the Red Cross to so casually cancel a half an hour before the event shows a complete lack of professionalism and organization.

I started planning this event two months ago. Not because I'm going to make a profit or even get ANYTHING out of the event. But because I feel it's a worthy cause and I know that we are in short supply of blood during the Christmas season. So your comment about the Red Cross not "owing their services..." is rediculous. I'm not asking for service! I offered to PROVIDE them with a service! They accepted my offer, allowed me to spend time, money and other resources to help THEM (I know I'm repeating myself). Not the other way around.

coolusername2007

imported post

Con3, I hear what you're saying, but the red cross is a very large organization with a huge budget, they're not some tiny little neighborhood charity. I don't know anything about the blood wagons, whether or not the nurses are paid to work them, drivers, etc., but last minute cancellations don't put them in the best light.

ETA: I wouldn't be surprised if they found out about our plans to UOC so they simply cancelled.

Phoenix David

imported post

As a reminder if you are a military veteran you may not donate if:

You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames
  • From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany
  • From 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.
You spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 5 years or more from January 1, 1980, to present, in any combination of country(ies) in Europe, including
  • in the UK from 1980 through 1996 as listed above
  • on or associated with military bases as described above, and
  • in other countries in Europe as listed below:
    • Albania
    • Austria
    • Belgium
    • Bosnia/Herzegovina
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Ireland (Republic of)
    • Italy
    • Kosovo (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
    • Liechtenstein
    • Luxembourg
    • Macedonia
    • Montenegro (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
    • Netherlands (Holland)
    • Norway
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • Romania
    • Serbia (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
    • Slovak Republic (Slovakia)
    • Slovenia
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • Turkey
    • Yugoslavia (Federal Republic includes Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia)
    Source: http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical-listing