• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USPSA matches 1/22 & 1/29

Bearfoot

Didn't make it Saturday.:( We were right on the fringe of the weather that came through. Not sure what was gonna go down with the snow and ice. Take care and stay warm.

M

mattwestm

Didn't make it Saturday.:( We were right on the fringe of the weather that came through. Not sure what was gonna go down with the snow and ice. Take care and stay warm.

You should come out to Paradise Outdoor today (off Hwy 43). They open at 1PM, so elixin and I are getting there then.

elixin77

My new mini 14 is a blast to shoot! I chewed through all 220 rounds I brought with me a lot faster than I thought I would. the action slides very smoothly, and eats bullets like candy. I did try out an older 30 round magazine, but from what I've read online, the mini 14 doesn't usually like those, and this was proven true to me today - it kept getting a FTF, and wouldn't feed up properly. I kind of was expecting this, because when I was loading the magazine, it was kind of tricky to get it loaded all the way, and the bullets kept wanting to slide out. Oh well, the 30 rounder was free, so no loss there.

Matt and I showed up about 1pm or so, blasted through all my rifle rounds, about 150ish pistol, and I put a few tubes through my shotgun. Matt cleared out his pistol ammo, and I believe cleaned out his ak-74 ammo as well. On a side note, I was able to recover about 215 rounds of 223 brass, and just about all my 45 brass, so I'll be able to reload those when i get the rest of my components in.

I'm anxiously awaiting the multi-gun competition this Saturday. Hopefully some other guys can make it out, because this is an event that only happens a few times a year.

Speaking of competitions, I went to the USPSA pistol match yesterday - scored 3/4 in my division (single stack, major caliber), and 21/31 overall. One of the stages was really hard to tell if I hit the target or not, because we were shooting thru a barrel (sound reverb was horrible! and actually affected some participants guns from cycling correctly). And swingers... I hate swingers.... Don't know if you hit them or not, so you have to shoot them a few times just to make sure. Oh yeah, it was also finger numbingly cold that day, so it ended up being real hard to shoot the last couple stages. It was still fun though.

Anyways, hope some of you guys can make it out to the multi-gun this Saturday.

Bearfoot

Cool beans on the match shooting Elixin77.:cool: Speaking of FTF, my AR-15 has that problem with Wolf, and anything else in steel casings. Use brass casings and it works great. You are correct about eating ammo like candy. I got 5 30 round mags, and it don't take long to put it down range.

Just to give you guys a heads up, there is a gun show in New Bern at the fairgrounds next weekend. Same folks as in G'ville and J'ville.

M

mattwestm

elixin77: I had a blast. Thanks for letting me shoot your 1911 and Mini-14. Next time I am bringing more ammo. I've got to investigate the keyholing issue with my AK-74.

When I get my tax return, I am ordering more ammo.

elixin77

I won't be able to make it to the gun show. We're having a beer festival in greenville, and I'm going to that with a few friends Friday night. Then we have the multi gun Saturday. That, and I'm broke from buying my new rifle and ammo. And I'm not too fond of the choices at S&D gun shows - they seem to be lacking, but the one in New Burn is ok (ok, in that there are a couple more dealers than the one in greenville).

Matt, did a little poking on the keyhole stuff. by the looks of it, if its a century ak-74, then the barrel more than likely needs to be sent back. and the round is supposed to tumble *after* it hits the target, so if you were to line up a few targets back to back, you should technically see the hole get wider and wider as the bullet tumbles by, not have a wide hole at 25 yards and a smaller one at 50.

M

mattwestm

Yep, it's a century. I heard about a few bad reports of keyholing before I bought it. Most people have decent ones, but some get a barrel with crappy rifling. Next time I go to the range, I'm going to try shooting at different distances with a cold barrel. Another option is to swap out the barrel with a authentic Bulgarian made model. I think bulgy barrels go for about $100.

I would send it back, but the chances of getting another crappy barrel are pretty high. I've had this rifle since August and haven't shot it much, but I'll investigate the problem more.

Dreamer

Another option is to swap out the barrel with a authentic Bulgarian made model. I think bulgy barrels go for about $100.

Careful with the swapping of parts in CAI guns. If the barrel on the one you have is US-made, and you swap it out for a Bulgarian barrel, you have just lost a 922r Compliance part, and the rifle is now an "illegally imported firearm", and possession of it would be a FEDERAL OFFENSE. If you swap a US barrel for a foreign one, you'll need to replace some other foreign-made part for a US made part, like the hammer, sear, or some othe rcritical part...

These 922r regulations can get to be a TOTAL nightmare if you start customizing these imported guns. Trust me--I'm running into the same thing with my CETME. What was going to be a cosmetic furniture swap-out is turning into a multi-hundred dollar parts-swapping nightmare...

elixin77

For those coming to the multi gun competition tomorrow - if someone can bring either a camera or video taking device, that would be much appreciated. The only camera I have is my iPhone, and its pretty dismal.

See you guys tomorrow!

Dreamer

I may be attending the multi-gun match, but probably will not be competing.

First, I'm not sure how I'll feel (I had a tooth pulled Friday morning), and second, I just put a new red-dot scope on my rifle, and got 2 G3 mags tweeked to work, but I haven't had it to the range yet to work out any kinks and get things all ship-shape. I really don't want to try and shoot a match with un-tested components.

And I didn't order any bulk ammo yet, so my supply of .308 is kind of low right now...

Also, I read the 3-gun rules closely, and it looks like bipods are NOT legal for any division, which means I'll have to take mine off. Not a big deal (actually trims about 10oz from the weight of the rifle), but like I said, 2 of the 3 mags I have are not range-proven yet, and the scope is only roughly zero'd in.

So I may be there, but I won't be shooting. I can take pics with y DSLR and video with my phone, and be a "range monkey" for someone, but I don't think it's a good idea to shoot--I'd just embarrass myself...