• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah state trooper accused of making bogus DUI arrests

OC for ME

I always try to remember that Terry is a bad ruling, watering down the fourth. Even so it is not mere suspicion, cops still need articulable facts. Just had a debate with an officer an a local forum, who thinks its "discretion" and it's for a judge to decide but nothing wrong with detention on "suspicion".
That right there is thug cop talk.

eye95

"Good faith" does not make a rights violation suddenly not a rights violation. "Good faith exceptions" mean that, since you cannot completely eliminate all rights violations, because some are genuine mistakes made by someone trying, in good faith, to act constitutionally, when these errors happen, consequences (such as exclusion or discipline) might not be necessary.

Again, it does not mean that rights were not violated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

davidmcbeth

Banned
Likely a topic for another thread, but was wondering the same thing and whether they are subject to any open meeting laws.

You bet ... I filed a complaint a couple of days ago ... the 3rd complaint of 3 meetings dealing with gun control laws pending ... I noted this in the CT forum ..

I spoke to an agency lawyer (that reviews these types of cases) and it was his opinion that it was OK ... until I started talking about 4th and 5th amendment issues with this viewpoint ...

So here's a gov't lawyer working for an open meetings review board that still says "that's OK" ... and he is a lawyer w/20yrs under his belt.

Sad sad sad.