• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL signs on to SCOTUS brief

The Donkey

Oral arguments for Abramski v. United States were heard by the SCOTUS today.

Here's an analysis of the arguments.

The transcript is already up and the audio file should be posted next week.

From the analysis link above:

"Perhaps the low moment for [U.S. attorney] Palmore was when Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr., noted that the language in the law had been “fought over, tooth and nail” by the opposing sides in the gun control debate, and that the compromise which resulted simply had nothing to do with the idea of a “straw purchaser.” That, of course, was one of [the defendant's] attorney Dietz’s main talking points."

TFred

Did not see the transcript at your link.

Here it is:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/12-1493_2135.pdf

TFred

Did not see the transcript at your link.
Well, I guess you can point The Donkey to the water... but you can't make him see it?

At the link I posted, right below the ~24 point font title, "Abramski v. United States", you will see a row of data items, one of which is "Argument", under which is the date, under which is a link titled, "Tr."

"Tr." stands for Transcript.

One day soon, probably next week, right next to that "Tr." link will be another link titled, "Aud." I bet you can figure out what that one stands for!

:D

TFred

TFred

Well, we did inherit the British Common Law in 1776 . . . .

Olde English for Odde?
Actually, 1607.

TFred

§ 1-200. The common law.

The common law of England, insofar as it is not repugnant to the principles of the Bill of Rights and Constitution of this Commonwealth, shall continue in full force within the same, and be the rule of decision, except as altered by the General Assembly.

§ 1-201. Acts of Parliament.

The right and benefit of all writs, remedial and judicial, given by any statute or act of Parliament, made in aid of the common law prior to the fourth year of the reign of James the First, of a general nature, not local to England, shall still be saved, insofar as the same are consistent with the Bill of Rights and Constitution of this Commonwealth and the Acts of Assembly.