• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL's LOOK AT THE CASTLE DOCTRINE FOR VIRGINIA

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I broke the ice concerning the NEW and improved Castle Doctrine bill and it was well received. That's the good news.

The bad news is that Obenshain, who I have always counted on to be open minded and receptive, will be in the Attorney Generals office when Ken moves into the Governors Mansion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I broke the ice concerning the NEW and improved Castle Doctrine bill and it was well received. That's the good news.

The bad news is that Obenshain, who I have always counted on to be open minded and receptive, will be in the Attorney Generals office when Ken moves into the Governors Mansion.

Believe the numbers are still going to be there - that and we've got a few more days to work on relationships.

Maybe by then we will have state agencies on board.

Crystal ball says Ken C. is not going to stop at the governorship and we could do worse than having a Governor Obenshain.

user

Accomplished Advocate

Who knows, he may continue to be open minded and receptive.

The big problem with that job (Atty. Gen'l.) is that the structure of the agency sort of imposes its will upon the boss. As the Honorable Ken said, "it's like running a really big law firm with lots of internal departments all of whom have special clients." I don't think it ought to be like that. I think that the Attorney General should be focused on the idea that he has exactly one client, the Commonwealth of Virginia. So what a particular agency wants ought to be subordinate to his thinking about what's good for his client, the Sovereign People of the Commonwealth of Virginia. The tail's wagging the dog.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Who knows, he may continue to be open minded and receptive.

He might but he won't have a vote anymore. There are Legislators that I can usually be sure of the vote on a particular subject.

For instance, Obenshain was very well versed on your version of Castle Doctrine. I don't think he'd have voted for it as it was but with a few minor changes, I think he would have.

I think the world of Gilbert but it would take some serious arm twisting to get his OK on Constitutional Carry, but he should go for Your Castle Doctrine.

These are Senior Members and their opinions carry a lot of weight.

I could always count on Cuccinelli to vote a certain way. When he became AG, that just left another unplowed field I had to test the soil in.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A pro governor is good. A pro AG is also good, but we need strong leadership and votes in both houses.

When a seat is vacated whether by attrition or higher office, the courtship dance must begin anew.

Nothing stays the same for long.

Castle Doctrine + Constitutional Carry = The Right to Live.

user

Accomplished Advocate
...Castle Doctrine + Constitutional Carry = The Right to Live.

This is the long and the short of the importance of the personal protection movement, whether it regard self defense laws specifically or the tools one chooses to use to keep themself alive. To enjoy any other right of life, one must first be alive.

Double-plus-good. Well said.