• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Verbal judo

Ezerharden

Lawyers charging at the extremes of our economy. 350$/hr and we wonder where our rights went. Not enough people have been able to bring the fight to the mat.

Last lawyer I hired (divorce lawyer) was no where near that expensive, but then I didn't ask Johnie Cochran to file for me either. I am sure there had to be lower priced lawyers.

Last edited:

amaixner

I've done a line-by-line breakdown of an officer's verbal judo in an OC video, but I can't find it at the moment. I do specifically remember that the officer tried using such tactics as guilt ("You aren't going to be that kind of guy, are you?) and just plain BSing ("I'm just trying to talk to you here, man!") in an attempt to coerce the law abiding citizen to give up his civil rights. These kind of lines are very common in police encounters. Good police generally are professional talkers, and get very good at disarming situations with words first.

Fallschirjmäger

In an encounter between myself and Sergeant Chapel of the Gwinnett County Police Department (Georgia) both attempts at 'verbal judo' and 'remaining silent' can be found being used.

Sgt Chapel, "You know, your permit is a privilege as well as a right. It can be taken away from you as well."
"By the Probate Court Judge; would you like the number?"
Sgt Chapel, "...we have the number... and when you’re given a permit you’re expected to cooperate a little bit with law enforcement."
"Actually, I’m required to cooperate; as required by law."
Sgt Chapel, "Why aren’t you?"
"What am I not doing that’s required?"
Sgt Chapel, (silence)
"What am I not doing that’s required, Sergeant Chapel?"
Sgt Chapel, (silence)
Sgt Chapel, "Did you drive here, sir, or did you walk here?"
Sgt. Chapel, "Did you drive here, or did you walk here?"
Sgt Chapel, "There you go, right there."

- At that point Sergeant Chapel decided he wanted to be almost anywhere else and doing almost anything else rather than be conducting an interrogation with me. Well, that or he got distracted by a pretty butterfly .... whichever, he wandered off

... sometimes, the one Not holding up his end of the "conversation" isn't who you expect.
Honestly though, Sergeant Chapel and I have a lot in common, probably about 60-80lbs worth of common.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Last lawyer I hired (divorce lawyer) was no where near that expensive, but then I didn't ask Johnie Cochran to file for me either. I am sure there had to be lower priced lawyers.

That was about what I paid in Grand Rapids; I didn't get Johnie Cochran either. Spent over 13k for my divorce.

Last edited: