• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia woman arrested for blogging about the police

TexasNative

imported post

Peter, I merely offered the SSN as an example of private information. That's not to say that it can't be obtained somewhere, but that it's a category of information that we should all regard as private, and strive to help each other accomplish the goal of keeping it that way.

It's the difference between what's right and what's legal. It may be legal to publish someone's SSN, but it damn sure ain't right.

~ Boyd

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Peter, I merely offered the SSN as an example of private information. That's not to say that it can't be obtained somewhere, but that it's a category of information that we should all regard as private, and strive to help each other accomplish the goal of keeping it that way.

It's the difference between what's right and what's legal. It may be legal to publish someone's SSN, but it damn sure ain't right.

~ Boyd
Actually, my reply to you was more aimed at 229. Bloggers are the new news media. Since we aren't tied to the advertising dollar, we are free to publish more.

While I am reserved about what I publish, bloggers like BJ get results by giving the Government a taste of their own medicine.

I don't really like what Ms. Storm published....but support her right to do it and condemn the PD for abusing a stalking law, to silence her.

TexasNative

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I don't really like what Ms. Storm published....but support her right to do it and condemn the PD for abusing a stalking law, to silence her.
On that we can agree (although I'd be a little stronger than "don't really like," but the difference is in degree rather than character).

~ Boyd

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
peter nap wrote:
On that we can agree (although I'd be a little stronger than "don't really like," but the difference is in degree rather than character).

~ Boyd
The comparison I usually make is the difference between USA Today and the National Enquirer.

Both are slanted and both publish rubbish from time to time. The difference is that USA Today tries to publish news and the Enquirer tries to increase readership by entertaining..often at someones expense.

riverrat10k

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
peter nap wrote:
It is way too easy to charge people with a crime and very difficult to get retribution after you are exonerated.
It's really not as difficult as people think. It's just aggravating and time comsuming. And a city or county will fight you tooth and nail until the judge finally sets a court date for the lawsuits to be heard in front of a jury.

If you have a good case, you can find an attorney who will takeit on a contingency fee arrangementmost of the time. It's never cost me a penny to have damages awarded in wrongful police actions. And I never accept a little piddling amount of $5,000 or $10,000 when a city or county waves a check in an attempt tomake a lawsuit go away out of court.

I hate to see people walk away from a wrongful police action lawsuit simply because they don't think they have the money to hire an attorney to fight a city or county.

In my book, aggravating and time consuming can equal difficult.

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I wonder if Nixon said something like that.

Maybe we should just cut that part of the Constitution out because it's a jungle out there?

I might be more inclined to move over to middle ground if there was any cooperation by LE. But there's not.
What happened to the three Officers in YOUR department involved in the NC arrest? Oh yeah...It's Police business.

It's been awfully tempting to publish those results even though they aren't open for public inspection.

First.. it s not MY department. I really wish you would stop saying that. You make it sound like I am personally responsible for what others do in every other agency when I have no dealings with them at all.

As far as the release of information on investigations and what not... I have no control over that so why are you beating me up over it?

I can see one problem and that is due to civil actions that can be taken against the cop. The cop is COMPELLED to talk and say what he did as a condition of his employment. If you were allowed access to the files... you would get his forced statements and notes about what he said.

Keeping in mind... this is not a voluntary statement. He has no attorney. You could run with it and sue him.. using his own statement against him. So perhaps... this is why you are not allowed access to it.

It is no difference than the police coercing a signed confession and using it in court.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
It is no difference than the police coercing a signed confession and using it in court.

Coercing! :lol:

Most people would confess to the JFK assassination after the coercing used by cops. This is why DNA is now setting innocent people free every day, even though they were coerced into signing a confession. One of the most recent and famous is right in Virginia. A man, Earl Washington, Jr, served 18 years on death row for an alleged rape until DNA set him free. At one point in this 18 years, he was just days from execution. Not only did the cop coerce the defendant into signing the confession, the cop fabricated it. The real rapist was also identified by DNA.

Washington's case actually sparked reform in the Virginia's justice system. His case inspired a 2001 law allowing inmates who claim innocence to seek DNA testing at any time, loosening what was then the toughest rule in the nation on new evidence. It also led to a review of many cases analyzed in Virginia's DNA laboratory.

In 2002, Washington sued the estate of one of the Virginia State Police investigators who handled his case, and in May 2006 was awarded $2.25 million after a jury found that the investigator had fabricated Washington's confession.

Sheriff

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Say ouch Doug!
Based upon the concept andactual subject content of this thread, Doug could probably be arrested for harassing a cop, issuing a threat of violence against said cop. The cop will claim he is scared in front of a magistrate. And unlike the actual subject matter of this thread, the cops won't have to take a year to find a code section to actually charge him under. The copshave already researched and dug outa code section to go after people who irritate them on the Internet! :lol:

PWC_Glock

imported post

"It is a little different when you go out and tell everyone that these guys are undercover cops and post their photos.

It is one thing to suspect they are cops and go dig up the dirt. But this lady put the information out and I think we all know that being undercover is so people do NOT find out your a cop."

So when are you going to go after the newspapers that publish the CHP lists or better yet when is the VA going to restrict access?

Ordinary Citizens want to stay undercover, yet a newspaper via a FOIA decides to publish their names.

Just wondering

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
It's really not as difficult as people think. It's just aggravating and time comsuming. And a city or county will fight you tooth and nail until the judge finally sets a court date for the lawsuits to be heard in front of a jury.

If you have a good case, you can find an attorney who will takeit on a contingency fee arrangementmost of the time. It's never cost me a penny to have damages awarded in wrongful police actions. And I never accept a little piddling amount of $5,000 or $10,000 when a city or county waves a check in an attempt tomake a lawsuit go away out of court.

I hate to see people walk away from a wrongful police action lawsuit simply because they don't think they have the money to hire an attorney to fight a city or county.
I hear you, but in my experience the "wrongful police action" has to be a wrongful arrest, a stop/detention of VERY extended duration,or an unjustified use of force.

Do you have experience otherwise?

Xeni

imported post

PWC_Glock wrote:
"It is a little different when you go out and tell everyone that these guys are undercover cops and post their photos.

It is one thing to suspect they are cops and go dig up the dirt. But this lady put the information out and I think we all know that being undercover is so people do NOT find out your a cop."

So when are you going to go after the newspapers that publish the CHP lists or better yet when is the VA going to restrict access?

Ordinary Citizens want to stay undercover, yet a newspaper via a FOIA decides to publish their names.

Just wondering

I would argue that under cover police officers actually put the public in more jeopardy than the crime they can fight while undercover.

How many young women have been raped by a person impersonating a police officer in an unmarked unit?

I understand that there is at times a need to hide the fact that a person is a police officer but I don't think traffic enforcement is one of those. If we went away from undercover/unmarked cruisers I believe the number of persons being raped or robbed by impersonators would drop.

To the original topic of this post - I believe that the woman's 1A rights are being violated by her being kept in jail over this 'charge'. I'm not a cop basher but I just don't see a case here and see her being put in jail just like if a OC'r was being harassed or detained simply for his excercise of the right to OC.

Tomahawk

imported post

Xeni wrote:
I would argue that under cover police officers actually put the public in more jeopardy than the crime they can fight while undercover.

That brings up an interesting thought: what right does the government have to hide badged employees undercover, anyway? These "police officers" act as if they have some sort of right not to be outed, and this woman somehow violated their "rights".

Generally, in the United States, if something is kept secret, it's the government's responsibility to keep it secure. If someone who signed no non-disclosure agreement discovers one of these secrets, they break no laws by posting it all over the internet and writing books about it. Look at the countless books written by people like Tom Clancy and James Bamford, revealing all sorts of classified stuff, in Clancy's case for entertainment, and in Bamford's case for history and political commentary.

If you are an undercover cop and your name shows up on the internet, it's not the blogger's problem. It's your problem, and the problem of your LE organization. You screwed up.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

This law is not intended to silence the press or to protect police officers identity.

In the late 50's there was a fellow in the Shenandoah Valley that had a fling with a Deputy Sheriff's wife. Somewhere along the line, she dropped him and went back to her husband. The husband, not being able to leave well enough alone, started giving the other fellow tickets.

The aggrieved person had a few pictures of her nude, and as I recall, pretty interesting. He also had a plane and pilots license.

As you could guess, he had thousand copies made, took the plane over Harrisonburg and surrounding areas, and dropped them.:lol:

Back then, there wasn't anything to charge him with except littering.

That type of thing is what this law was supposed to prevent.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
This law is not intended to silence the press or to protect police officers identity.

In the late 50's there was a fellow in the Shenandoah Valley that had a fling with a Deputy Sheriff's wife. Somewhere along the line, she dropped him and went back to her husband. The husband, not being able to leave well enough alone, started giving the other fellow tickets.

The aggrieved person had a few pictures of her nude, and as I recall, pretty interesting. He also had a plane and pilots license.

As you could guess, he had thousand copies made, took the plane over Harrisonburg and surrounding areas, and dropped them.:lol:

Back then, there wasn't anything to charge him with except littering.

That type of thing is what this law was supposed to prevent.
:shock: Yata hey

Sheriff

imported post

BB62 wrote:

I hear you, but in my experience the "wrongful police action" has to be a wrongful arrest, a stop/detention of VERY extended duration,or an unjustified use of force.

Do you have experience otherwise?

Yes sir! 7 defendants, 5 named inwrongful action/ false arrest lawsuits, 2 named for libel after the fact. After the fact means they continued to tell people I was guilty after everything was dismissed or thrown out of court.

2 default judgements with interest, 4 settled out of court, 1 still pending.

After having been a sworn deputy sheriff for decades, suing cops was the last thing on earth I ever anticipating having to do.

I definitely have experience. :D

raftgyde

imported post

From http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/215811

ACLU says it's ready to defend arrested blogger

Elisha Strom of Thaxton posted a police officer's address on the Web.
[font="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"]By Rex Bowman [/font] 777-3523

The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia is offering to defend a Bedford County blogger arrested last month after posting a police officer's address on her blog.

Elisha Strom, 34, of Thaxton faces a mandatory six months in jail if convicted of the charge of harassing law enforcement.

The ACLU is interested in the case because the state statute used to charge Strom is unconstitutional, said Kent Willis, executive director of the organization's Virginia office. "The law is flawed because the law is too broad. Laws of this type can only limit the kinds of statements someone makes if they are a true threat."

Strom said she would be interested in talking to the ACLU about representing her.
The unemployed Strom was charged July 16 with violating a Virginia law (18.2-186.4) that prohibits the publication of anyone's name, photograph or place of residence "with the intent to coerce, intimidate, or harass." A 2007 addition to the law made it a felony punishable by a mandatory minimum sentence of six months in jail for anyone to knowingly post such information about a law enforcement officer. A conviction carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

Albemarle County Commonwealth's Attorney Denise Lunsford, who is prosecuting Strom, declined to comment on the case.

For roughly 10 months, Strom had been posting information about the Jefferson Area Drug Enforcement (JADE) task force on her blog, I HeArTE JADE (iheartejade.blogspot.com). The blog name can be read as either "I heart JADE" or "I hate JADE," which Strom described as an intentional ambiguity.

The blog, she said, is her hobby, and she did not intend to harass or impede the officers. She said she has long been fascinated by intelligence and police work. "It was a Web site that was supposed to be fun and lighthearted," she said. "I guess I'll have to find a new hobby."

To gather material for her blog, Strom has followed JADE officers, photographed them and posted their pictures on her site. The home address she posted came from a public source, she said. As police arrived to arrest her, she posted a final message: "Uh Oh. They're Here."

Strom is known in the Charlottesville community for her past ties to the white separatist movement. She said she is no longer involved and hasn't been for several years.

The law under which Strom was charged is similar to a law that Washington state enacted in 2002 that forbids the publication of police officers' home addresses and phone numbers "with the intent to harm or intimidate." A federal court struck down that law.

House of Delegates Majority Leader Morgan Griffith, R-Salem, said the Virginia law passed unanimously in both the House and state Senate, but he's not certain it would withstand a legal challenge. "I think that the attorney general's going to have their work cut out for them. But it's possible it's constitutional. They're going to have to show very clearly that the intent is to coerce, intimidate and harass, and that it's not just about making a police officer uncomfortable. Public officials are made uncomfortable all the time."

Strom spent nearly a month in the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail before a family member came up with the $7,500 bail last week.
"I don't hate law enforcement," she said. "I know my intentions were not to harass them, so they're going to have a hard time proving that."