• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visit To Claytor Lake State Park & return date 9/22/12

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh yes we can, claytor lake state park

It's on! Claytor Lake State Park, Shelter #4, Saturday Sept 22, 2012.

It's ours!

golden-trout.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No need to RSVP, but it would be nice to know who is bringing what.

Being the weenie I am I will be arriving Friday night and camping in a location that provides room service. I'll charge up the gimpmobile overnight and be at SHELTER #4 at some time in the morning after I have located coffee.

See y'all there.

stay safe.

papa bear

No need to RSVP, but it would be nice to know who is bringing what.

Being the weenie I am I will be arriving Friday night and camping in a location that provides room service. I'll charge up the gimpmobile overnight and be at SHELTER #4 at some time in the morning after I have located coffee.

See y'all there.

stay safe.

thats in my backyard SKID, i sent it to some of the other VCDL in the area a heads up. is there anything i can bring?

Last edited:

paramedic

Well I guess since I was the first to suggest it, myself and my family will be there. Are doing it as pot luck, or bringing for just own family. What time are we looking at.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well I guess since I was the first to suggest it, myself and my family will be there. Are doing it as pot luck, or bringing for just own family. What time are we looking at.

thats in my backyard SKID, i sent it to some of the other VCDL in the area a heads up. is there anything i can bring?

Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012 6 AM (if anybody expects me to show up that early they are crazy) till 10 PM (if anyone wants to stay till then it's OK, but after that you have to leave).

I'm thinking pot luck, like the other Oh Yes We Can picnics. I guess we ought to start a list, so here goes:

burgers - 2 boxes - skidmark
burger buns - 48* -
hot dogs - 4 dozen* -
hot dog buns - 4 dozen* -
mustard -
relish -
catsup (or ketchup if you insist) -
paper plates - 50
plastic cups (not red) - 50
plastic knives/forks/spoons - 50 ea -
napkins - lots -
paper towels - 2 rolls* -
cola - 24* -
diet cola - 24* -
Sprite/Sierra Mist/7-Up - 24 -
water - 48* (2 cases) -
potato salad - skidmark (since I called dibs already)
tomatoes -
onions -
watermelon -
cookies/brownies/snickerdoodles -
sugar-free diabetic deserts for those with diabeetus -
ice - lots -
coolers/clean trash cans to cool drinks -
trash bags -
charcoal - 40 lbs* -
charcoal lighter -
BBQ Utensils -
aluminum serving pans -
plastic tablecloths - 8* -

* all quantities are guessing there will be 40 folks attending. We can reassess quantities during the week.

Anything I have not listed but you want to bring is fine.

Anybody that wants to bring frisbees, kites, badminton, horseshoes or other recreational stuff is encouraged to do so.

Please cut & paste the list into your new post, adding your name next to what you are going to bring. The idea is to get a running estimate of whether the essentials and the frills will be covered by Friday, 9/21, so that last-minute coverage can be arranged for.

Woo Hoo! Oh yes we can!

stay safe.

Last edited:

MamabearCali

Working on some details here....trying to make it happen.?...

Sorry just checked I think this one is 4 hours from us (richmond va) We had other plans that day that could accommodate a relatively local picnic, but an 8 hour round trip is out of the question. Have fun y'all! Educate that rascally rabbit.

Last edited:

paramedic

burgers - 2 boxes - skidmark
burger buns - 48* - Paramedic
hot dogs - 4 dozen* - Paramedic
hot dog buns - 4 dozen* - Paramedic
mustard -
relish -
catsup (or ketchup if you insist) -
paper plates - 50
plastic cups (not red) - 50
plastic knives/forks/spoons - 50 ea -
napkins - lots -
paper towels - 2 rolls* -
cola - 24* -
diet cola - 24* -
Sprite/Sierra Mist/7-Up - 24 -
water - 48* (2 cases) -
potato salad - skidmark (since I called dibs already)
tomatoes -
onions -
watermelon -
cookies/brownies/snickerdoodles -
sugar-free diabetic deserts for those with diabeetus -
ice - lots -
coolers/clean trash cans to cool drinks -
trash bags -
charcoal - 40 lbs* -
charcoal lighter -
BBQ Utensils -
aluminum serving pans -
plastic tablecloths - 8* -

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Can't do it. I'm getting major ear surgery that Tuesday. Thought about it and I'm going to abstain. Don't know how loopy I'll still be by Saturday

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Unless there is a work conflict, I will be there with the family. :) Once I am certain I can make it, I will pick a still-needed item from the list and bring it.

paramedic

It is with a heavy heart that my family and I are gonna have to back out of coming due to some financial issues. It is very upsetting to us due to the fact how passionate we are about 2A issues, and because we have such a great time at these events. I am so sorry we will not be able to be there to support this issue

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's beginning to look like there may be just a few die-hards showing up. That's no reason to call off a nice day in the park, but perhaps we should revise plans?

I'm going to pick up drinks, picnic food and potato salad for six folks, along with the associated paper products. If you show up, please feel free to bring what you would like to share.

Regardless of how many show, a picnic will be held.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would very much like to attend, but won't know until the last day or two whether I can or not.

Will advise and bring sufficient food stores if it works out.

Tanner

hmm

Skid I will go if you are down for another road trip with my excellent company. If you mind or am willing to sit next to me for 4 hours please pm me and let me know what hotel you plan on staying at and how much they charge for the nite and we will go from there. Again no biggie if you rather go it alone. Besides I will be home from work this evening around 5:15 to 5:30 at the latest. Its all extremely short notice....my fault

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would very much like to attend, but won't know until the last day or two whether I can or not.

Will advise and bring sufficient food stores if it works out.

My conflicts are multiple - hate that I'm going to miss this one.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well, you were all missed. John Pierce and family showed up. We had burgers & hot dogs & chips and drank sodas. Somehow the potato salad got left in the shopping cart, so we did not have any.:(

Somebody in an official park truck drove by twice - once in each direction. They looked intently, but did not noticeably slow down and certainly did not stop to talk to us. We would have offered them a hot dog or a burger if they did.

I came home via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Leaves are already starting to turn colors.

stay safe.