• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Williamsburg area

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The wifester and I just got back from visiting Colonial Williamsburg, where we both OCed all day and enjoyed our time. As we left the historical area while walking to the visitor's center we came up on another gentleman who was OCing and his family. We didn't get names but after chatting with them I believe it was dmatting who started this thread. At the Governor's Palace tour this morning I noticed another man in blue and white who appeared to have a Glock on his side as well, but the encounter was so brief I'm not fully certain it was a Glock, but the size was about the same. All in all it was a good time. :)

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Been to Colonial Williamsburg many times OCing - never the first problem. :D

Busch Gardens wants your money, but they don't expect you to be responsible - definitely unfriendly :cry:

No problems ever encountered in the many stores, malls and restaurants either.

Enjoy your visit.

I did have a Redcoat once comment aloud (after seeing me carrying) that perhaps the Crown should be more careful in allowing arms to the colonist rifraff. Everyone laughed.

dmatting

We just got back last night - our weekend was an extended one. We got to Williamsburg Saturday night and checked into the hotel. I did not mention anything about having a gun and I carried concealed while in the hotel - once out the doors, I simply moved my sweatjacket to behind the holster.

We visited the Jamestown settlement on Sunday morning. From the earlier posts, I expected to be disarmed while there and left my gun in the vehicle. Once we were in and walked through the back of the building to get to the site, I did look at the path on the side and it looked gated off - but I did not know it was a gate I could have gone through at the time. Anyway, we really enjoyed Jamestown. I expected it to be a little boring, but we joined a tour and it turned out really well. I 'dig' that the entire area is an active archeological site. There was a large area that was being excavated - I believe the tour guide said it was the second church on the site. I asked if they had ever found the first church and he said it was basically a tarp tied across some trees. Here is the excavation site:
2011-10-09_12-24-05_505.jpg

After a few hours at Jamestown, we went over to Busch Gardens. Disarmed Again! Even so, that was a really good time. We got our daughter to ride some roller coasters for the first time. Griffon was really good - that was a new one for me. And Apollo's Chariot and Alpengeist were also pretty good. We didn't go on Nessy - next time though. I have to say that the Quick Queue is well worth the price. We didn't think the park would be too crowded, but it was packed. The unlimited Quick Queue passes were awesome - we just went to the front everytime. I think our longest wait was no more than five minutes. They were especially helpful with the walk through haunted houses that they set up for October - those lines were ridiculous and we went right in no problems. They had about four or five haunted houses set up - they started to get boring after the third one, though.

So, on Monday we went to Colonial Williamsburg. I was able to OC the entire day there without any problems at all. I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed with our experience there. Perhaps we didn't understand how to take full advantage of the place, but it was much less than they marketed it as. From the website and the marketing material and the amount of money that we paid, we expected quite a bit more. There were about three quick little "enactments" that were scheduled and if you happened to miss those, which we did, you were pretty much SOL in regards to interacting with any re-enactors. Most that were dressed in the period style were just sitting at the entrances to a couple buildings and the only thing I could get out of them was "is there anything in your thermos?". I don't think I'm wrong in expecting more given how they portray the place. We expected the streets to have re-enactors all over the place. We homeschool our daughter and we had her do some research and had her ready with questions to ask these people who we never met. Big let down.

There were three good locations that we went to, though. One was the Magazine. There was a guy up there talking and answering questions. My wife was unable to climb the stairs, though, so the visit, while interesting, was very brief:
2011-10-10_13-40-05_968.jpg

Another was the Gunsmith. One guy was working on some handguns and another was working some brass - looked like bells or something. There was a third man who was talking to us and answering questions and such. The rifling machine was pretty cool.
2011-10-10_13-59-11_311.jpg

2011-10-10_13-59-46_900.jpg

The last was the blacksmith. They were making nails. I never gave it much thought, but those guys had to forge every single nail that was used to build anything. Talk about monotonous. Wow. He could knock them off quick, but he had to do them one at a time.
2011-10-10_14-35-38_263.jpg

We ate lunch at a place called the Blue Talon Bistro located in the shopping area on the west end of Duke of Gloucester street. They have good food there.

jmelvin said:
The wifester and I just got back from visiting Colonial Williamsburg, where we both OCed all day and enjoyed our time. As we left the historical area while walking to the visitor's center we came up on another gentleman who was OCing and his family. We didn't get names but after chatting with them I believe it was dmatting who started this thread. At the Governor's Palace tour this morning I noticed another man in blue and white who appeared to have a Glock on his side as well, but the encounter was so brief I'm not fully certain it was a Glock, but the size was about the same. All in all it was a good time. :)

Yes, that was us. It was nice meeting you.

I Open Carried all day Tuesday without any problems either...

After checking out of the Hotel on Tuesday morning, we headed back over to the Jamestown area. We missed going to see the glassblowers on Sunday and had to go back. That was pretty cool too. I've seen people blow glass before, and it just doesn't get old. My wife bought some glass pieces there, which happened to be the only souvenirs we purchased. While we were there they were making shotglasses, an example of which you can see in the foreground of this picture:
2011-10-11_11-26-37_492.jpg

2011-10-11_11-27-15_796.jpg

Yes, that is a blowtorch and the guy is wearing sunglasses. The sunglasses are for basic eye protection from the glare of the furnace. They said that without them they could get cataracts. We were told that they cheat there and use modern equipment because it is just more efficiency that way.

After that we went over to the Williamsburg Winery and took a tour, tasted some of their wines and ate at their tavern. It was worth the trip. The tour guide knew his stuff, he was funny and the tour was interesting. He asked about my gun after the tour - asked if it was a Glock (its an XD .45). I get that a lot. So, the wine was pretty good. They have some really good food in the tavern as well. We all had sandwiches and they were all very good.
2011-10-11_12-24-55_288.jpg

2011-10-11_13-15-45_894.jpg

From there we drove home. All in all it was good trip!

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the report. I need to go to Jamestown some time. Was able to trace some of my ancesters back to there. :lol:

Me, too; the ancestors did alright there for a while, too, but then those white folks showed up, and there went the neighborhood.

Hah! Reminds me - Gerald Poindexter, Esq., calling me a racist and a participant in the "racist conspiracy" we called "defending Skidmark".

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hah! Reminds me - Gerald Poindexter, Esq., calling me a racist and a participant in the "racist conspiracy" we called "defending Skidmark".

It's all my fault. He heard about the video I did where I portrayed a man in a black neighborhood, who was a drug user and murderer and was himself black..... by using a Black Actor.

To make it worse, I used White Actors to represent a white mountain fellow who came to the big city and took up residence in an abandoned house where he hid out from the IRS.

I'm the raciest! Oh, the shame.