• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA Disabled Passes

tony d tiger

Okay - I learned something as a result of this thread. Thanks.

For the record - I generally am OC when in state parks - and camp for free thanks to the state law recognizing my DAV status... but I didn't know I could be qualified for a reduced rate for bus rides.

'course, I don't ride the bus... BUT if I did, I'd OC it for sure... with my CPL handy. :grin:

carry on...

Metalhead47

Okay - I learned something as a result of this thread. Thanks.

For the record - I generally am OC when in state parks - and camp for free thanks to the state law recognizing my DAV status... but I didn't know I could be qualified for a reduced rate for bus rides.

'course, I don't ride the bus... BUT if I did, I'd OC it for sure... with my CPL handy. :grin:

carry on...

Discount schmiscount, come ride my bus OC and I'll let you ride for free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sudden valley gunner

Lets not forget the discount for disabled on the State Ferries!
Hope that does not piss off the few!

Seems you are the only one pissed off. You do realize most of us adults here can disagree without being angry right? Are you projecting again?

Now lets look closely at your argument for a second it doesn't even come close to what we are talking about. Hold on it seems to be a difficult concept to grasp private property does not equal State property..........oh wait it wasn't hard to grasp at all.

Now should the state have ferries? I bet we would get cheaper better ran facilities by private ownership.

I watched a movie last night, the movie makers decided to put subtitles all on their own, I like watching subtitles I bet lots of those hard of hearing do too.

I went to eat at a restaurant the restaurant gave a discount to those over 55 that was so nice of them , they weren't greedy capitalist trying to get every penny they can for their bottom line.

I worked for a developer who made Wheelchair friendly houses all on his own, such a nice guy. And he made good money too lots of people liked his houses.

amlevin

Senior citizen is the same discount. I use it all the time. They don't even look at me OCing. Got a strange look once, but, I'm strange looking! :lol:

I rarely use the "Senior Discount". Sometimes it's too big a hassle. One example, go to one Auto Parts store and ask for the Senior Discount. Most clerks will probably say "we don't have one". When you run into one that knows about it, they have to find the screen in their computer and then, when the ticket is completed, it's a whopping 2%. Factor in the time and hassle??????

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Seems you are the only one pissed off. You do realize most of us adults here can disagree without being angry right? Are you projecting again?
Now lets look closely at your argument for a second it doesn't even come close to what we are talking about. Hold on it seems to be a difficult concept to grasp private property does not equal State property..........oh wait it wasn't hard to grasp at all.
Now should the state have ferries? I bet we would get cheaper better ran facilities by private ownership.
I watched a movie last night, the movie makers decided to put subtitles all on their own, I like watching subtitles I bet lots of those hard of hearing do too.
I went to eat at a restaurant the restaurant gave a discount to those over 55 that was so nice of them , they weren't greedy capitalist trying to get every penny they can for their bottom line.
I worked for a developer who made Wheelchair friendly houses all on his own, such a nice guy. And he made good money too lots of people liked his houses.

Oh, You thought I was talking about you again! Tisk Tisk Tisk!

Why are you so angry? :D Be Happy :D

ManInBlack

Lets not forget the discount for disabled on the State Ferries!
Hope that does not piss off the few!

No one has made pissy posts in this thread other than you.

The government shouldn't be in the ferry business. In fact, government should not be providing any services that could be provided by private businesses at all, which is just about all of them.

Metalhead47

They tried that. The reason the state runs the ferry system now is because it couldn't make it as a private enterprise.

The government shouldn't be in the ferry business. In fact, government should not be providing any services that could be provided by private businesses at all, which is just about all of them.

In a perfect would this would be true. However, here in the real world, it just doesn't work like that. There ARE some things the gov't just ends up doing better. Such as transportation. The gov't got into the ferry business in the first place because private enterprise couldn't stay afloat.

Jeff Hayes

They tried that. The reason the state runs the ferry system now is because it couldn't make it as a private enterprise.

In a perfect would this would be true. However, here in the real world, it just doesn't work like that. There ARE some things the gov't just ends up doing better. Such as transportation. The gov't got into the ferry business in the first place because private enterprise couldn't stay afloat.

Did you ever stop to think that the state subsidizes the fares with tax dollars????"?

Its not that the state can do it better (ROTFLMAO) its a simple matter that the state has funds (tax dollars) to pay for the difference between revenue generated by fares and the cost of running the ferry system.

The tax payers, you and I pay for it because the island people and tourists were not willing to pay for it. This is a lot of what is wrong with our government. I choose to live on an island but I cant go to Seattle so the government needs to supply me a way to get there even thought it was my choice to live on an island.

I always OC on the ferry just keep it relevant, how did I do Dean????

sudden valley gunner

I envision two 13yo girls.....all the same I guess.

Interesting only two 13 year old girls? Pray tell who are the two you envision as girls? This post confuses me, it hints at you don't like the way a few posters are posting, but then post the in the same manner or even worse?

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I snipped anything that didn't contribute constructively to the conversation.....oh I see nothing you said contradicts the logic and reasoning brought up by others...just the normal resort to ad hominem, and deflection.
Went to Fred Meyers today, was OCing, I noticed they have these cool handi carts and electric scooters for the elderly and infirm, is that state mandated or did they decide to do it all on their own?

They also had them at Wal-mart and the Mall. That can't be because without government mandates people just won't do anything to care for those that need it.

sudden valley gunner

Did you ever stop to think that the state subsidizes the fares with tax dollars????"?

Its not that the state can do it better (ROTFLMAO) its a simple matter that the state has funds (tax dollars) to pay for the difference between revenue generated by fares and the cost of running the ferry system.

The tax payers, you and I pay for it because the island people and tourists were not willing to pay for it. This is a lot of what is wrong with our government. I choose to live on an island but I cant go to Seattle so the government needs to supply me a way to get there even thought it was my choice to live on an island.

+1 you beat me too it.

Metalhead47

Precisely. The gov't subsidizes the cost because private enterprise can't turn a profit at it. Just like the gov't subsidizes the roads. The ferries ARE an extension of the road system after all. As is public transit. The gov't subsidizing the cost of an island ferry is no different than the gov't subsidizing a road to a small, isolated town. It's a legitimate role of gov't, and the federal equivalent is even enshrined in the Constitution. My comment about the state doing it better refers more to my own experience in public transit where, yes, the gov't DOES do it better based on the evidence I've seen. The failure of the precursor to the WSF just emphasizes that. This is not to imply that the gov't does EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE better in EVERY situation. Neither does the private sector. But here, in the real world, not some libertarian utopia, there simply ARE some things that the gov't does better. Now, if they'd only concentrate on those things INSTEAD of all the things they completely bugger up, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :p

Dave_pro2a

Someone who is jaded would say the state runs the ferry system with our tax dollars, to help increase property values on islands and the Peninsula, so they can make more money on property taxes.

Dave_pro2a

Pthere simply ARE some things that the gov't does better.

They can't even run the post office.

They can't even balance a budget.

They can't educate our children worth a damn.

There's really nothing the government does well, except for screw up. But then, they don't have a monopoly on that... but when others screw up their aren't directly using my money to do it.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Precisely. The gov't subsidizes the cost because private enterprise can't turn a profit at it. Just like the gov't subsidizes the roads. The ferries ARE an extension of the road system after all. As is public transit. The gov't subsidizing the cost of an island ferry is no different than the gov't subsidizing a road to a small, isolated town. It's a legitimate role of gov't, and the federal equivalent is even enshrined in the Constitution. My comment about the state doing it better refers more to my own experience in public transit where, yes, the gov't DOES do it better based on the evidence I've seen. The failure of the precursor to the WSF just emphasizes that. This is not to imply that the gov't does EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE better in EVERY situation. Neither does the private sector. But here, in the real world, not some libertarian utopia, there simply ARE some things that the gov't does better. Now, if they'd only concentrate on those things INSTEAD of all the things they completely bugger up, we wouldn't be having this discussion. :p

If private enterprise can not turn a profit on it why should the state subsidize it? Everyone, except for the totally helpless, should be paying for the government services they receive. Taxes should be based on how many government services you take advantage of not on how much income you have.