• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart

Buckskinner15

imported post

How can you open carry a handgun (I assume), when you are not lawfully permitted to purchase one? I am also in that curious in-between age (over 18 but not yet 21), and would be very grateful for any information you can provide. If possible, please reference the applicable laws here in Colorado. Thanks!

entartet17

imported post

You can own and carry a handgun at age 18 but cannot purchase one until age 21. I dont know the relevant laws off the top of my head except this one:

[align=JUSTIFY](1) (a) Except as provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of eighteen years knowingly to have any handgun in such person's possession.[/align]

Buckskinner15

imported post

entartet17 wrote:
You can own and carry a handgun at age 18 but cannot purchase one until age 21. I dont know the relevant laws off the top of my head except this one:

[align=justify](1) (a) Except as provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of eighteen years knowingly to have any handgun in such person's possession.[/align]
Okay, thanks for the info!

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

Buckskinner15 wrote:
How can you open carry a handgun (I assume), when you are not lawfully permitted to purchase one? I am also in that curious in-between age (over 18 but not yet 21), and would be very grateful for any information you can provide. If possible, please reference the applicable laws here in Colorado. Thanks!
You are allowed to purchase at 18. The only restriction is that FFL (Federal Firearm License) holders cannot sell to under 21.

CJ30-06

imported post

the easiest, and most legally accepted way is to have your parents/legal guardians buy it for you. And hansolo, I'll have to do some checking on what you said, I'm pretty sure the only person/persons that can give possession of a handgun to anyone under 21, is their parent. Oh, and you MAY be in possession of a handgun under 18, however, only under very limited circumstances, entartet17 quoted the law correctly, but that is not the whole law regarding possession of handguns in Colorado.

Yooper

imported post

Federal law prohibits you from puchasing a handgun from a FFL dealer until you are 21. However handguns purchased from private individuals are allowed to be purchased at 18. State law reflects this.

So yes, if you are betwen 18 and 21 you can legally purchase a handgun, as long as it's a private sale, and not through a business.

The one that gets me, is even if you can posses a hangun @ 18, federal law bans the purchase of handgun ammo by those under 21. I guess, according to them, they don't mind you carrying a gun, as long as the only way to use it is by throwing it at someone.

Thankfully, many handgun rounds are also available in carbines, but my friend and I would confuse the crap out of the wal-mart employees (we were under 21 @ the time), when they'd ask us "Is it for a rifle or a handgun", and we'd say "well, not sure, I own a rifle and handgun of that caliber. I can't say whether or not those rounds will or will not be used in the handgun."