• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Stops ordering Ammo

We-the-People

I cast my bullets, so it is just powder, primer, and brass. Brass is extremely hard to get right now. I have been buying range brass but it is not the same as reloading once fired or new brass. Range brass takes more time for inspection, and preparation.

You need to do like me and get a contact AT the range who picks up brass behind the LEO's when they practice. I can get once fired LC 223 brass and commercial once fired 308 brass for cheap. Now why the LEO's are firing THOUSANDS of 223 and 308 at the local range is an interesting question.

WalkingWolf

You need to do like me and get a contact AT the range who picks up brass behind the LEO's when they practice. I can get once fired LC 223 brass and commercial once fired 308 brass for cheap. Now why the LEO's are firing THOUSANDS of 223 and 308 at the local range is an interesting question.

Because the federal gov is giving them the ammo for free, as well as the guns. It must be great to meet budget these days, as the feds are providing everything. IMO most police depts don't need this kind of firepower, especially when many can't hit the broad side of a barn.

We-the-People

Because the federal gov is giving them the ammo for free, as well as the guns. It must be great to meet budget these days, as the feds are providing everything. IMO most police depts don't need this kind of firepower, especially when many can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I agree they don't need the firepower. Our sheriffs department motorcycle units even carry M16's (could be AR's but I doubt it) on their motorcycles. Rather stupid and aside from putting the weapon in the weather, I can't envision a motor officer being able to employ it even in a big city where there might actually be a need for some officers to be armed with rifles. Last month, they had an article in the newspaper about their new quarter-million dollar armored vehicle that can withstand armor piercing ammo. Not sure when the last time (ever???) they had a situation in this area where they'd need something like that but I guess if the gov't decides to get stupid they'll have the military hardware with which to enslave the sheeple.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... Our sheriffs department motorcycle units even carry M16's (could be AR's but I doubt it)...

Even a full-auto AR is still an AR. The M16 is a very specific configuration of the AR, to include selective-fire.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

\Brass is extremely hard to get right now.

Even though I don't reload currently, I've been in the habit of saving my brass. Back in November at the gun show(before the most recent round of craziness) I unloaded probably 400 pcs of once-fired 38 special and another 100 of 357 magnum.

With ammo prices going out of sight now and availability low, I'm taking a serious look at reloading(I wish I'd started years ago), and am also really wishing I still had all the brass I sold rather than the $30 I got for it.

WalkingWolf

Even though I don't reload currently, I've been in the habit of saving my brass. Back in November at the gun show(before the most recent round of craziness) I unloaded probably 400 pcs of once-fired 38 special and another 100 of 357 magnum.

With ammo prices going out of sight now and availability low, I'm taking a serious look at reloading(I wish I'd started years ago), and am also really wishing I still had all the brass I sold rather than the $30 I got for it.

That sounds about fair for .38, and .357, though may be a bit higher now. The problem is not with revolver cartridges for me as semi auto cartridges. They tend to be hard to find while shooting, so finding sources of replacement brass is necessary. If I am shooting outside, I will lose about 25% of my semi auto brass. If I am in the heavy woods I will usually lose most of it. Range brass is ok since some is going to be lost, I usually set aside the brass that the primers go in too easy, those are used for shooting in the woods.