• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Webb on Carrying in National Parks

The Donkey

imported post

longwatch wrote:

I'm glad he signed onto the letter, but um where is his NPS(National Park Service) carry bill?

The strategy that the proponents of National Park carry have beenpursuing this session is pushing the regulatory change -- via the letter --not legislation.

The only legislationI have been able to find on this is Rep. Ron Paul's in the House, and he has only been able to attract one co-sponsor.

Webb is a co-sponsor of S.388, which is the national concealed carry reciprocity bill.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

BB62 wrote:
When did you get the action alert?

Either I have not received it yet, am signed up for the wrong list, or missed it in the recent summary.

Thanks!

if you missed the alert (once in a blue moon your ISP or spam software may bounce it), go to http://www.vcdl.org and on the main page, there are links to the last 3-4 alerts.

To sign up for VCDL alerts, or search deep archives, go to http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html

JB

imported post

The Donkey wrote:
:what:A flash from the past on the National Park Ban and the Donkey party:

vtme_grad98 wrote:
Bolt06 wrote:
The Donkeywrote: Webb responded -- on the record -- as follows:

A: “I support letting people carry firearms where state laws allow.”

**Forty-seven** Senators have co-signed a letter from Senator Mike Crapo to Dirk Kempthorne, Secretary of the Department of the Interior
Does anyone know how much influence Kempthorne has on the decision? For those that don't know, Kempthorne was Governor of Idaho. Maybe Crapo and Craig could lean on him a little? Like I said, I don't know if Kempthorne has any say in it. And I'm not sure I love his stance on the 2A.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
BB62 wrote:
When did you get the action alert?

Either I have not received it yet, am signed up for the wrong list, or missed it in the recent summary.

Thanks!

if you missed the alert (once in a blue moon your ISP or spam software may bounce it), go to http://www.vcdl.org and on the main page, there are links to the last 3-4 alerts.

To sign up for VCDL alerts, or search deep archives, go to http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html

Thanks for the links - fyi the deep archive one doesn't work - it just takes you to the same "Alert" page.

Also fyi, VCDL's hotlink doesnt't work either!

:-(

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
Webb is a co-sponsor of S.388, which is the national concealed carry reciprocity bill.

It only took him NINE MONTHS to co-sponsor this, he isn't pushing for it, and he STILL has not answered my six letters asking for his position on it.

Jim Webb, IMHO, is an arrogant SOB. I believe he finally sponsored s.388 so he can brag to those people not smart enough or savvy enoughto see what he's doing.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

double-tap. Sorry.

I'd love to call him names more often, but it really serves no purpose.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
longwatch wrote:

I'm glad he signed onto the letter, but um where is his NPS(National Park Service) carry bill?

The strategy that the proponents of National Park carry have beenpursuing this session is pushing the regulatory change -- via the letter --not legislation.

The only legislationI have been able to find on this is Rep. Ron Paul's in the House, and he has only been able to attract one co-sponsor.

Sen. Webb might consider that the time to introduce such a bill may be coming up shortly if DOI blows off this letter.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

BB62 wrote:
Mike wrote:

Thanks for the links - fyi the deep archive one doesn't work - it just takes you to the same "Alert" page.

Both of the links above work fine for me on Internet Explorer.

What do you mean by " VCDL's hotlink"?

sjhipple

imported post

Tess wrote:
It only took him NINE MONTHS to co-sponsor this, he isn't pushing for it, and he STILL has not answered my six letters asking for his position on it.

Jim Webb, IMHO, is an arrogant SOB. I believe he finally sponsored s.388 so he can brag to those people not smart enough or savvy enoughto see what he's doing.

Webb is better than Senator Warner any day of the week.

It looks like Jim Gilmore will probably be the nominee to replace Warner, and there probably won't be an election. The party wants to nominate him by convention.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Oh, I agree Webb beats Warner on most issues.

Doesn't make him good, just the lesser of two evils.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Mike wrote:

Both of the links above work fine for me on Internet Explorer.

What do you mean by " VCDL's hotlink"?

NOW it works! Hmmmm

By hotlink (probably the wrong word) I meant the blue text you click on that takes you to another web page. Hypertext? I can't remember the term...?

The Donkey

imported post

Tess wrote:
The Donkey wrote:

As I recall, originaly he acknowledged your letter, but did not state his position.

Ashe is now a co-sponsor of S. 388, I think you have an answer to your question. IfWebb was so intent on "bragging," I think you would have gotten a more wordy answer.

But you are not the only oneI have heard who has expressed some frustration with scheduling and responsiveness on written inquiries to electeds recently.

With the proliferation of interest groups, many of whomflood these offices with inquiries by means of"push button" technology through the Internet, it is no wonder that individuals with passions on specific issues get lost in the deluge.

I cannot imagine that these offices want to be anything but responsive to their constituencies. Nevertheless, it istroubling thatsometimes voices are lost in the clamor. I hope that the electeds staffs find better ways to cope.

Webb isfar betterthan the lesser of two evils: He isa fiercely independent voice, andI am proud tohave him as my Senator.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You recall incorrectly. He has never acknowledge my questions on this issue. I would not have stated he didn't if in fact he had.

I did get a form letter from him on another issue; perhaps that's what you remember.

I very much see him as the lesser of evils. He appears to be stuck in the "freshman Democrat" mold rather than the US Senator mold.