• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What caliber for lion?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Why so much over kill?
A.357 mag will do for short range.

A 45-70 is kind of like a 12ga slug regarding recoil.
A good all around load is a 405gr LFP (lead flat point) @ 1700 from a 18.5 bbl (Marlin 1895 guide gun, non ported)

You have pretty good taste in guns Agent.
I have a non ported Guide Gun and it's my main walking around gun from November to January.

Recoil is pretty mild until you hit 1800 fps or so and out to 150 yards it is a very deadly round for everything up to and including the big bears.

I also agree on the overkill. A couger is a thin skinned, light boned animal that doesn't take a lot of killing.

Loneviking

imported post

It's a bit funny as to what the critters in this country are doing. Out here, supposedly there were no woverines--nope, none, nada. Then, two years ago one of the wildlife techs for the Cal. fish and game came back in with film from one of those automated cameras and gave it to one of the biologists saying 'you tell me what that is?'. Yep, there's at least one Wolverine on the loose around Truckee---and betcha they're lonely and looking for love!

A telltale sign of cougars is trees marked with musk and mounds of dirt/pine needles/leaves mounded up and marked with musk. I have a cottonwood right outside my garage door that a mountain lion is using to mark his territory. The musk, when fresh, is wet and brown. It dries into a big stinky brown stain down one of the limbs of the tree. My daugter caught him one night sitting in the tree and he immedietly adiosed towards the river. So far, he's been behaving himself but we've put a number of firearms around the property and are always carrying .357's.

Marco

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
(Marlin 1895 guide gun, non ported)

You have pretty good taste in guns Agent.
I got hooked on lever actions whenI started shooting CAS (Cowboy action shooting),
haven't done it since moving to VA.

My friend took a pic of a male drinking from herbackyard pool ( hopeI can find it), she lives in LV off just off Cheyenne and the 215.