• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What can we do for fun?

Legba

imported post

Robbery involves taking (stealing) something of value with force or threat of use of force (fake guns count, as they give a reasonable person cause to apprehend loss of their lives and safety). The kids with the BB guns weren't stealing anything, as I recall, and the kids with the plastic pistols gave the wallets back, hence attempted robbery - they didn't actually deny these people their stuff... So, both cases amount to criminal conduct of some sort. I'm sure the prosecutor's office will be glad to sort out the actual charges.

-ljp

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

That and the fact that they clearly intended to cause fear, hence the assault and menacing charges. Assault is the threat of injury, or minor injury;aggravated assault isserious injury, or threat of injurywith a deadly weapon, hence the felony charges.

Ground Chuk

imported post

Demarest wrote:
Robbery is a crime.

Robbery is a crime. Do you see?

Waving a hunk of plastic is not. That hunk of plastic resembles a firearm, a couple people were shook up as a result... This is why they need to be reprimanded by the university. The law has no place here as no crime was committed.

Robbery on the other hand, is a crime. I don't care if you use a Crayola crayon to committ the robbery. It's still a ROBBERY. Which by the way, is a crime.

So, if a lawfully armedcitizen, or even an LEO, had shot and killed one or both, then the shooter should be charged with murder, as the idiots meant no harm and "no crime was committed"?

I didn't realize we had to determine if a gun was real or not before shooting if in fear of our lives.

Now, if the person waving this "hunk of plastic" tells you it is indeed real, then you can shoot?

Don't let the criminals know about this, they won't like having to stop their criminal activities to answer questions. It just makes them mad.

Demarest

imported post

Shooting when in fear of your life is not a crime. Feel free to read the story again. Nobody was hurt, nobody was deprived of property. Without a victim, there is no crime.

Ground Chuk

imported post

Demarest wrote:
Shooting when in fear of your life is not a crime. Feel free to read the story again. Nobody was hurt, nobody was deprived of property. Without a victim, there is no crime.

Then "attempted ANYTHING" wouldn't be a crime if nobody was hurt or deprived of property.