• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you carry and why?

Pyromanic

imported post

I carry a Smith and Wesson model 620 .357 mag. double action revolver with a 7 shot cap. I carry this simply because as of right now it is all that I own. But that will soon change. I'm buying a Springfield Armory .40 XD that I will start carrying with the wheel gun as a backup.:celebrate:celebrate

Jonny008

imported post

Well I tend to carry my Taurus 24/7 pro .40 most of the time, but I just purchased a Taurus 917c 9mm(I feel pretty good with 20rds of 9 per mag). As back up I have my Bersa Thunder .380 duo tone with extended mag. That Taurus 1911 is looking pretty good right now yet I just need a chance to shoot it and it will probably become mine real soon.:)

malignity

imported post

As of right now, a S&W Sigma .40VE, but I'm slowly saving for something more concealable. I've got the Kahr PM9 in mind, however if I had the extra money, I wouldn't mind waiting around for the Boberg 'Shorty' when it comes out. As far as stopping power goes, .40 and 9mm are plenty enough for me. If I have to draw and shoot, I won't be shooting through windshields, shooting tires, or shooting through jackets. I've got one target, and all I need is one bullet for that.

malignity

imported post

More training?
Are you questioning my ability to shoot? I understand I may have multiple assailants, but with someone of my size, using the 'self defense' plea will be much more difficult than it will for others. So please elaborate in this 'training' that I so desperately need? If you have to shoot, you shoot to stop the attack. With my size and with what I do for a living, I can probably fight off the majority of attackers without even having to draw. So please, if I'm living in the world of fantasy, bring me back to reality. I honestly think there's some sort of miscommunication here, because I'm not looking for a fight, but jumping the gun and saying 'I need more training' when you don't even know me seems pretty harsh.

mastiff69

imported post

H&K USP 40 full size, 3 13rd mags, loaded with black talons and hydroshocks.

Back up, Rossi 44 5 shot and 3 speed loaders :D

female english mastiff with attitude:uhoh:

Oh and a cell phone to call the police, and animal controlto protect the perp from the mastiff:idea:

Taurus850CIA

imported post

malignity wrote:
More training?
Are you questioning my ability to shoot? I understand I may have multiple assailants, but with someone of my size, using the 'self defense' plea will be much more difficult than it will for others. So please elaborate in this 'training' that I so desperately need? If you have to shoot, you shoot to stop the attack. With my size and with what I do for a living, I can probably fight off the majority of attackers without even having to draw. So please, if I'm living in the world of fantasy, bring me back to reality. I honestly think there's some sort of miscommunication here, because I'm not looking for a fight, but jumping the gun and saying 'I need more training' when you don't even know me seems pretty harsh.
Malignity, if all you say is true, and you can shoot like the devil, then you certainly have the physical aspect covered. If you are that big and bad, and you do have to actually draw, that would indicate that you are in a major world of $h:t, and the assumption that one shot will take care of business may very well get you killed. This would indicate a need to take a new perspective on things. Mental training would take care of this. No offense meant, large sir.

malignity

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
malignity wrote:
More training?
Malignity, if all you say is true, and you can shoot like the devil, then you certainly have the physical aspect covered. If you are that big and bad, and you do have to actually draw, that would indicate that you are in a major world of $h:t, and the assumption that one shot will take care of business may very well get you killed. This would indicate a need to take a new perspective on things. Mental training would take care of this. No offense meant, large sir.

This is the reason I'd be carrying more than one round in my magazine. After working two years in a downtown Detroit Emergency Room, I know perhaps more than most the damage that bullets can cause. On average we saw 2-3 shooting victims a night. What may be misconstrued as bragging is quite the contrary. I'm merely sticking up for the smaller caliber handguns, because some people here believe that carrying anything below a .45 is a joke. I'm only saying that from personal experience, because I've personally been the one that has held people's lives in my hands when they've been victims. Hollywood has made us believe that people get shot a dozen times and live, whereas, I can say that unless you were born on Krypton or should be regularly playing the Lotto, it doesn't matter if you get shot with a .22; your mortality is just as great as the rest of us.

custom.45acp

imported post

malignity wrote:
More training?

I think that is pretty arrogant on your to believe that no matter what situation occurs, you take out the BG with one bullet. Good for you though.

People would ask if I golf and I would in reply, “No. I made a hole in one, what’s the point?” Of course, everyone understands that in order to get a hole in one, the conditions have to be just right. I would have to say the same would be in a GG/BG confrontation.

Do you have a spouse? Girl friend? Ever been distracted for a ¼ of a second? Even our military defense system has flaws and the people operating it aren’t naïve enough think it’s 100%, all the time. People with bodyguards get pies in the face all the time; you think you’re even better then them? You sleep?

You really need to wake up and smell the coffee! BUT, if you’re as good as you say you are, please by all means, give up whatever position in the hospital and teach us how to be as efficient as you. YOU WILL MAKE MORE MONEY!

Custom.45acp

DanM

imported post

malignity wrote:
...I honestly think there's some sort of miscommunication here...and saying 'I need more training' when you don't even know me seems pretty harsh.

Perhaps so. And I do think that some here should have put up specific quotes of yoursand asked specific questions, rather than making statements which contain speculation or assumptions about what you say. Following that approach, below are your quotes and my questions:

"If I have to draw and shoot . . ."

• ". . . I won't be shooting through . . .jackets." -- Are you saying you'll never face an assailant wearing a jacket?
  • "I've got one target . . ." -- Are you saying you'll never face more than one assailant?
  • "all I need is one bullet" --Are you saying you'll never miss, graze,orcause a non-incapacitating injury to your target? Are you saying your shots will always be incapacitatingand/or lethal?
Take these as open-ended questions with no assumptions or bias implied, and give clarifying answers please.

malignity

imported post

Your literal nitpicking at my words are beyond me. You all continue to go at my original post despite explanation. If I thought I ONLY needed one shot, maybe I'd carry a Derringer. Sure, my attacker may be wearing a fricking bear suit, a pink tutu bulletproof vest, and this may be in the middle of a full scale zombie attack. In that case, I guess I'm screwed. The fact that SO MANY of you have attacked me just because of a bit of confidence, simply disgusts me. I know that every one of you have boasted at one time or another, and maybe with good cause. Maybe I have good cause too. You don't fricking know me. I've come to one conclusion while being on this forum. I thought this was a friendly place, for people who wanted to support the 2nd amendment, people's rights, and the right to open carry.

Aparently I was wrong.

You can all have fun weilding your .45's, carrying 16 magazines, preparing to play hero, shooting through your windshields, shooting out your tires, and maybe even more efficiently shooting through the 35lb feather and leather down jackets that WE ALL HAVE IN OUR BACK POCKETS!!! Cause, you know, according to Hollywood, it takes a dozen bullets to down someone. I'm done with this forum.

SemperFiGuy

imported post

I would just like to say that as well trained as some of us are, that everyone should continue to train. There should NEVER be a point in our lives that we can look at how well we do something and say"Thats good enough". Now back to the original point of this thread. I have an m+p 9mm. Thats what fits my hand the best, what feels the best for me to shoot accurately, and the sidearm I like the best for the money that I have. I have only oc'd with it once, but when I have read and retained all info important to oc, I will oc with it all the time.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

malignity wrote:
Your literal nitpicking at my words are beyond me. <snip>

I thought this was a friendly place, for people who wanted to support the 2nd amendment, people's rights, and the right to open carry.

Aparently I was wrong.
Everyone here is entitled to an opinion, but we come here to debate, to test our ideas, to gain new ones, and make our own available; it’s like one big exchange. We come here prepared for potential conflict and can be strengthened by it. Ultimately we know the deal when we choose to comment.

jwelters

imported post

I carry an XD Compact .45 ACP locked a loaded, currently with 10 rounds of Remington Golden Saber, along with a spare 13 round mag.

Why? It seemed like an appropriate choice. It's small enough to CC and packs plenty of punch.

DanM

imported post

What? I almost always am carrying a Glock 17, concealed or openly, with 15 rounds and a spare 15 round mag, along with my concealed backup Kel-Tec P11 with 10 rounds and a 10 round spare mag for it as well.

Why? I like having backup and plenty ofbulletsbecause, unlike awonder-boy or two here, I am not yet a "one-shot, one-kill" jedi-ninja. But it's good to know some out there think they are. Gives me something to aspire to. ;)

T Vance

imported post

I just bought a .40 Glock 23.

I am going to carry because it is my right to carry and protect myself.

MyGlock23withMagtechJHP.jpg