• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do YOU use for home defense?

6L6GC

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
I usually leave out whatever I've been carrying, but in the hot weather I've been carrying my 2" Model 36.

I have, or had, a Model 36. It is nickel plated, 2" barrel. Very nice. Belongs to the wife now. :cool:

WheelGun

imported post

suntzu wrote:

Fifth you spoke of a "safe room" in order to hole up...bullets penetrate walls--it's a fact, and if you intend to have a room where you can hole up during a home invasion or other disturbance--it would be smart to have a room with no exterior windows, one entry/exit in order to control the point of entry, and reinforce your walls and your door so as to make entry from the outside more difficult, but exit from the inside easy.

In the military, the tactics as described would be known as 'internal security.' Did anyone consider the military tactic of establishing an exterior perimiter?

We recently had some very high winds and heavy rain come through, which loosened-up siding, tree branches, raised streams to flooding, etc. When the winds and rain died down, I did an internal search of my house for leaking basement walls, etc. Then Idid aperimiter search of my property, first close to the house, then in larger circles around the property, finally to the edge of my land, with an eye beyond the perimiter. (My house is onhalf a dozen acres)

From the furthest distance, I looked back at the house and thought "If this were not a weather emergency but a confrontational emergency, unless the BGs were literally within my home, I would rather meet the adversary as far from the building as possible, such as out here."

Would it not be preferrable to take the fight outside if possible? I realize scenarios would change depending on setting (urban, suburban, rural, wilderness)

To stay on topic, as my screen name would indicate, Iwas armed with a revolver. Yet my maglite and waterproof bootswere of considerably more utility.

suntzu

imported post

WheelGun wrote:
suntzu wrote:

Fifth you spoke of a "safe room" in order to hole up...bullets penetrate walls--it's a fact, and if you intend to have a room where you can hole up during a home invasion or other disturbance--it would be smart to have a room with no exterior windows, one entry/exit in order to control the point of entry, and reinforce your walls and your door so as to make entry from the outside more difficult, but exit from the inside easy.

In the military, the tactics as described would be known as 'internal security.' Did anyone consider the military tactic of establishing an exterior perimiter?

We recently had some very high winds and heavy rain come through, which loosened-up siding, tree branches, raised streams to flooding, etc. When the winds and rain died down, I did an internal search of my house for leaking basement walls, etc. Then Idid aperimiter search of my property, first close to the house, then in larger circles around the property, finally to the edge of my land, with an eye beyond the perimiter. (My house is onhalf a dozen acres)

From the furthest distance, I looked back at the house and thought "If this were not a weather emergency but a confrontational emergency, unless the BGs were literally within my home, I would rather meet the adversary as far from the building as possible, such as out here."

Would it not be preferrable to take the fight outside if possible? I realize scenarios would change depending on setting (urban, suburban, rural, wilderness)

To stay on topic, as my screen name would indicate, Iwas armed with a revolver. Yet my maglite and waterproof bootswere of considerably more utility.
The creation of an exterior perimeter is done every day by people and they don't even stop to think about it--motion detectors with flood lights, a dog that barks or other such animal to make noise such as a guinea--not a guinea pig, but a guinea, the use of fences--like it or not they are perimeter fences due the the fact that they circle the perimeter of the property...So an exterior perimeter is created by people across America every day of the week.

I had a big long answer prepared, but decided to go with this: As a general rule I would say that trying to meet the fight on the outside and keep it from advancing inside your home in an urban, or semi-urban environment would definitely NOT be a smart thing to do--deck is stacked against you. NOW if you are outside and the issue develops with no chance to move inside--then there isn't a whole lot you can do and you make do as best as you can.

As for the other things--type of terrain, wilderness, rural, semi-rural--there are so many variations that could be brought up....

PLUS you have to consider the legal aspects--what does your state laws say about self-defense situations...do you have a duty to retreat, or are you in a state that says you have no duty to retreat anywhere on your property from a violent encounter?

Now in my opinion--even in states where you have no duty to retreat from a violent criminal--it would still not be smart to try and proactively meet the fight on the outside...because the deck is just stacked against you. Plus you will never really even know a home invasion is going to happen until your door breaks down or your window breaks in the middle of the night--or come home and find something "just not right" about the whole thing. You won't have any information in the vast majority of the cases.that a fight is coming to you until it does...so any idea that you can plan to actively "meet the threat" while it is still on the outside is wrong--because it won't work that way in my opinion.

45acpForMe

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I use this at my door.

EQG_dcclaymore_1.jpg

When I saw the above,I nearly hit the deck.:shock:

My 45 pistol allows me to get to my gun cabinet which then opens many options. If I hear many voices I will pull out my 45 carbine with 30 round mags. If I hear a voice/bump or two I will pull out my 18" Remmington 870 tactical with 6+1 birdshot, with a carrier of 5 buck and one slug. Never know what wall/door you need to shoot through. If you know where your family is you can shoot through things as needed.

The top of my stairs is a good tactical position. If anything comes up it dies. Plus it is easier to replace that small blood stained carpet. :p

One other thing, I haven't seen anyone post about lasers. I bought a couple lasers for my guns but found that the light gives away your position too easily. So after engagement starts the laser may come in handy but to startmine is off. Now if I could get that nifty nightvision laser system that is invisible to the human eye. I guess I don't want to deploy to Afghanistan so I will live without it.

Airforce1

imported post

My first handily available weapon is my carry pistol, the cz-82 loaded with standard ball ammo. #2 would be the Ithaca XL300 loaded with 00Buck or rifled slugs. #3 would be the M95/30 Steyr. :shock:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'm very aware of the construction of my home. I'm also aware of my marksmanhip abilities under stress in combat. I usually have my H&K USP 45 with mixed Golden Sabers and Hydroshocks (and a few extra 12-round magazines) within arm's reach at home or while out in town. My oldest daughter has her .45 cal Glock 21 with Hydroshocks (and several extra 13-round magazines) available. My other 2 daughters are well-versed and trained in the use of the WASR 10/63 (AK-clone) and several 30 round magazines loaded with lead soft-point 124 gr rounds.

The spousal unit has an M-1 Garand and several frying pans of different sizes and weights. She is more comfortable with her frying pans. So are the rest of us. We don't want her 30-06 rounds bouncing around the neighborhood because she doesn't have quite as much experience with her rifle as the rest of us with our weapons. The Garand isn't quite built for the corners and confined spaces of the house. Its better suited for longer range work (terrorist attacks, zombie insurrections, etc).

45acpForMe

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Yall sound like you're expecting the Chicoms to invade us any day now - OH WAIT I just remembered who the "President" is........
Yes, remember who the president is. If he decides to "ask" the UN to provide troops to help with our civil unrest it wouldn't technically be an invasion.

LEO 229

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
When I saw the above,I nearly hit the deck.:shock:

My 45 pistol allows me to get to my gun cabinet which then opens many options. If I hear many voices I will pull out my 45 carbine with 30 round mags. If I hear a voice/bump or two I will pull out my 18" Remmington 870 tactical with 6+1 birdshot, with a carrier of 5 buck and one slug. Never know what wall/door you need to shoot through. If you know where your family is you can shoot through things as needed.

The top of my stairs is a good tactical position. If anything comes up it dies. Plus it is easier to replace that small blood stained carpet. :p

One other thing, I haven't seen anyone post about lasers. I bought a couple lasers for my guns but found that the light gives away your position too easily. So after engagement starts the laser may come in handy but to startmine is off. Now if I could get that nifty nightvision laser system that is invisible to the human eye. I guess I don't want to deploy to Afghanistan so I will live without it.

I have a internal laser in a gun upstairs. The intimidation factor may be enough to have someone run back in the direction they came.

Then when they are at the front door... it is claymore time!!!

:lol:

markand

imported post

Couple of personal handguns near the bed. Also Remington 870 and CAR-15

Deanimator

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
Yall sound like you're expecting the Chicoms to invade us any day now - OH WAIT I just remembered who the "President" is........
Yes, remember who the president is. If he decides to "ask" the UN to provide troops to help with our civil unrest it wouldn't technically be an invasion.
The LAST thing I'm worried about is "UN troops". Other than US and Commonwealth troops, NATO troops won't engage in combat operations in the field in Afghanistan. Compared to hypothetical counterinsurgency operations in the US, Afghanistan is a John Tesh concert.

suntzu

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
The LAST thing I'm worried about is "UN troops". Other than US and Commonwealth troops, NATO troops won't engage in combat operations in the field in Afghanistan. Compared to hypothetical counterinsurgency operations in the US, Afghanistan is a John Tesh concert.
It was admiral Yamamoto who said that Japan would never seriously consider an invasion of the mainland US because there would be a gun behind every blade of grass.....

It is good that you have people in NATO and the UN who are not willing to fight in combat operations...

But maybe it will be British and Germans or Chinese who are asked to hypothetically disarm the US... under a UN mandate of course...

Imagine the Union jack flying again from Yorktown...

suntzu

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I'm very aware of the construction of my home. I'm also aware of my marksmanhip abilities under stress in combat. I usually have my H&K USP 45 with mixed Golden Sabers and Hydroshocks (and a few extra 12-round magazines) within arm's reach at home or while out in town. My oldest daughter has her .45 cal Glock 21 with Hydroshocks (and several extra 13-round magazines) available. My other 2 daughters are well-versed and trained in the use of the WASR 10/63 (AK-clone) and several 30 round magazines loaded with lead soft-point 124 gr rounds.

The spousal unit has an M-1 Garand and several frying pans of different sizes and weights. She is more comfortable with her frying pans. So are the rest of us. We don't want her 30-06 rounds bouncing around the neighborhood because she doesn't have quite as much experience with her rifle as the rest of us with our weapons. The Garand isn't quite built for the corners and confined spaces of the house. Its better suited for longer range work (terrorist attacks, zombie insurrections, etc).
Sounds as if you have a well trained small unit there. Well done.

on another note--have you issued a Bayonet to the spousal unit? A Garand just isn't a Garand without the bayonet.