• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does Law Enforcment use a .50 BMG Rifle for?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

PT111 wrote:
What does Law Enforcment use a .50 BMG Rifle for?
Better question is what does anyone need one for. Maybe the military has a need for one but an average citizen? And that is the entire purpose of this thread, if LEO can have one then why can't I have one.
Because you can't find the $1500 or so needed to buy an entry level version? Or live in California? Or are prohibited from owning firearms? Those are the only three reason I can think of that you can't have a .50BMG rifle.

amlevin

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Because you can't find the $1500 or so needed to buy an entry level version? Or live in California? Or are prohibited from owning firearms? Those are the only three reason I can think of that you can't have a .50BMG rifle.

1. Save up for one.

2. Don't live in California.

3. Would you really want a convicted felon or mentally unstable person to have one?

FE427TP

imported post

amlevin wrote:
3. Would you really want a convicted felon or mentally unstable person to have one?
:quirky

Form 4473 works pretty good to prevent that and do some research into weapons the IRA made, If a person who wants to do evil wants a firearm it's REALLY easy to make one. This forum sure seems to have a LOT of new people spouting the anti-gun rhetoric as though it were fact lately

Tomahawk

imported post

amlevin wrote:
2. Don't live in California.

2. Easier said than done. You move where the work is, and you tend to stay where your career is being built. But this is still good advice. Wouldn't it be funny if all the submitizens of California moved out and left only politicians and government employees behind? How would those remaining support themselves without honest workers to leech of off?

3. Depends on what kind of felony. And besides, if the guy is really that dangerous, why is he not in jail?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
2. Easier said than done. You move where the work is, and you tend to stay where your career is being built. But this is still good advice. Wouldn't it be funny if all the submitizens of California moved out and left only politicians and government employees behind? How would those remaining support themselves without honest workers to leech of off?
Who is John Galt?

Tomahawk

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Who is John Galt?

So far the actor hasn't been picked yet... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/

PT111

imported post

I've got no problems with whoever wants one having one, just wondering why the complaints about LEO having one. Maybe they just want to show it off like the average person that wants one wants it for.

Tomahawk

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I've got no problems with whoever wants one having one, just wondering why the complaints about LEO having one. Maybe they just want to show it off like the average person that wants one wants it for.

Law enforcement organizations do not have the right to bear arms. They have only the authority to bear certain arms issued them by the governments they report to.

The discussion of which weapons are and are not appropriate for law enforcement officers is a valid one.

In this era when police agencies are getting so much fudge from the fed gov to buy neat toys, allowing them to do so without adult supervision is foolish. Like any governemtn agency, they will spend like there's no tomorrow. Then they start looking for an excuse to justify the stuff they buy, which is why small towns send out SWAT teams for every little thing.

Surely you don't think government agencies should be free to do whatever they want?