• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do when your employer has rules against guns??

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

marshaul wrote:
911Boss wrote:
Could they say "No Catholics" allowed in the workplace?
Are you trying to tell me I can't run my business the way I see fit? :shock:

No, I am saying discrimination is discrimination. I liken "no weapons" policies to be the same as any other workplace discrimination.

At the point an employer decides to run a business and hire people, they need to understand that some of those they hire may have different beliefs and views.

Now if those beliefs and views interfere with the workplace or cause a legitimate performance issue, than certainly address those concerns. Whenthey don't, then they really should have no bearing.

Do employers check to make sure their employees have valid driver licenses? After all, they might hit someone in the parking lot of the business. Yet a business only cares when driving is part of the employees job.

I can certainly respect a "rule" for no OC by an employer. It is their premise and if they believe an open firearm will cause a disruption or concern, I can respect that. On the other hand, I have no right to know what is in my coworker pockets, so what right do they have to know what is in mine?

If an employer is willing to accept liability and provide adequate personal protection for employees who have had the option to provide for their own protection removed, then I might be willing to go along with it. That is not the case though.Like the government, they want to remove your ability to protect yourself and at the same time deny any obligation to provide protection.

scilence

imported post

I have been carrying my .38 Taurus ultra-lite for the last 7 months with no worries from the conscience. I used to make sure my pistols were locked in my glove box in the car and anytime I would walk to lunch or the store I would go grab it, re-holster and be good to go, then return and disarm.

This was just too much, I broke down and started wearing the revolver in a ankle-holster and never looked back.

As far as I am concerned if they don't know about it, it cant hurt them, but you just watch how fast their mood will change if an event occurs on the way to the coffee shop or to lunch and I end up protecting their asses from being mugged.

I don't want to jinx myself, but why does it so often take such an event from people to completely change their minds about their so-called "hard-set beliefs?"

Always carrying....

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

This company is so anal that when I wore my empty Serpa holster as part of the UW protest I got called on the carpet in HR. I was asked if I had a weapon on me or on company property to which I replied No. I got told I was no longer allowed to wear "that" holster in to work again. I said that's fine I have 5 others at which point I was told no holsters. I replied back then how do I carry my black berry?
So they installed a bulletin board that anyone can post on so I started posting four Gun Rights Pamphlets. For the first few weeks I couldn't keep enough of them posted and I thought someone was pulling them down. I went to HR and asked if these were ok to post and was told yes. I took a sheet of paper and put at the top of it " These Posting Have Been Authorized BY HR. If You Have An Issue With Them Take it Up With HR." I now replace about 2 a week and actually have folks telling me that one is missing....

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
This company is so anal that when I wore my empty Serpa holster as part of the UW protest I got called on the carpet in HR. I was asked if I had a weapon on me or on company property to which I replied No. I got told I was no longer allowed to wear "that" holster in to work again. I said that's fine I have 5 others at which point I was told no holsters. I replied back then how do I carry my black berry?
So they installed a bulletin board that anyone can post on so I started posting four Gun Rights Pamphlets. For the first few weeks I couldn't keep enough of them posted and I thought someone was pulling them down. I went to HR and asked if these were ok to post and was told yes. I took a sheet of paper and put at the top of it " These Posting Have Been Authorized BY HR. If You Have An Issue With Them Take it Up With HR." I now replace about 2 a week and actually have folks telling me that one is missing....

Wow, HR doing the harassing, that is a nice irony. Did you ask where the "No Holster" policy was in the employee rulebook?

Does the UW just make policy up on a whim and enforce them selectively? Thats what it sounds like to me.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Wow, HR doing the harassing, that is a nice irony. Did you ask where the "No Holster" policy was in the employee rulebook? Does the UW just make policy up on a whim and enforce them selectively? Thats what it sounds like to me.

HR felt the holster was "Threatening behavior" which is covered in the handbook. I once went to HR over a folding pocket knife and was told not to bring it back in. So I went and got me a folding box cutter. I was called to the office once again for having a folded pocket knife and was in the process of being written up until I showed them it was a box cutter.

This was not the UW. We have folks with their own little protests going on all the time on tshirts, posters, and what-not, yet for me to wear a holster was the ultimate protest I guess.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

That issue with HR is ridiculous. I have to agree that the anti-gun policies at most business are discrimination, plain and simple. If they only disallowed OC I could understand that, but they are denying the right to carry a weapon period.

"My religion prevents me from disarming. Please don't violate my religious beliefs" - Maybe we need to start a new religion with the tenet of always be armed, so that our rights can be protected :lol:.

mjohnson

imported post

Not to turn this into a thread on religion, but I don't need a new one, I already have one. From a story in 2001 quoted in Free Republic:

Judges 5:8 reminds us of what happens to a foolish nation that chooses to disarm: "They chose new gods; then was war in the gates: was there a shield or spear seen among forty thousand in Israel?"

The answer to the rhetorical question is clear: No. The people had rebelled against God and put away their weapons of self-defense.

Another little example of folks not learning from the past. I doubt I'll get anyone to honor my religious right to be armed either.

Todd Hardy

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I'm so using that, MDJ! In addition to working, I am also a full-time student; Philosophy & Religion major at that (I like the classes; not sure what I'm gonna do with it). Regardless, I can pull that off should I ever need to! Thanks!

By the way, here's a picture of a $2.00 work-holster that I picked up at the flea market this weekend. It had an extra pouch on the front that I cut off. Bet ya can't even tell. An Uncle Mike's #3 or DeSantis Nemesis fits inside it nice and snug.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

-Todd