• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats next

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Brad and Mike are absolutely right about showing up at the city council meeting. All of you from that area should be there. This is definitely a very important step we must take. Get out your shirts and ties guys, organize and surprise. Especially if the news media may be there. This battle can be won. Someone also might want to mention that it is a civil liberties violation, which could bring suit in equity.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/usc_sec_42_00001983----000-.html

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
the law be changed to read, "No fire arms on school property during the normal hours of school business." This way after school hours there should be no issues. We should also propose the law as an enhancer.
normal hours of school business will be a problem. schools with sports, plays, etc. have longer hours. also schools that also have adult night classes. teachers staying late. all would be considered "school business". i think putting actual times or defining the school hours would be a good idea. say 6-6 that gives plenty of time for students arriving and leaving to not see a gun on school property.

i agree that it should be an "enhancer only" which IMO is what the law was supposed to be in the first place.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Your right, I think it was suppose to be an enhancer it just never ended up that way. Some one used it for their personal agenda and twisted the purpose.

That is a good idea you have about the school hours. that way it is very clear and can not be confused.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

This is the letter I sent to Senator Lasee:

Dear Senator Lasee,

I am writing as a request for you to introduce legislation in an effort to change the school zone statute on fire arms.

I am a member of opencarry.org and a resident of Chilton, Wisconsin. As a constituent in your district, I can affirm that the current statute 948.605 Gun-free School Zones is unconstitutional in that it infringes on both my 2nd Amendment Rights and my rights under the Wisconsin Constitution Art. 1 Section 25.

Therefore, I am requesting purposed legislation to change the statute to be used as an enhancer and to read as follows:

Gun-free Schools

(a) Any person, who intentionally possesses, brandishes or discharges a fire arm on the property of a school established for the education of children grades K-12, during the hours 6 AM and 6PM is guilty of a Class G Felony

(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a fire arm:

(1) On private or public property not part of a school property.
(2) If the individual possessing the fire arm has permission to do so by a political subdivision of the state or bureau of alcohol, tobacco and fire arms in which political subdivision the school is located, and the law of the political subdivision requires that, before an individual may receive such permission, the law enforcement authorities of the political subdivision must verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the permission.
(3) That is not loaded and encased or in a locked fire arms rack that is on a motor vehicle.
(4) By an individual for use in a program approved by the school on the school property.
(5) By an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between the school on the school property and the individual or the employer of the individual.
(6) By a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(7) That is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school property is authorized by school authorities.

I thank you for your state service and eagerly await your reply.

Sincerely,

James A. Gleason
15 Lehner St.
Chilton, WI. 53014

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I sent a similar letter to Sen. Sullivan (who is, of course, a Democrat). We'll see if he responds. They are currently working on the state budget (sick) so it'll probably take a while.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Anyone heard anything about the SM meeting?

Yeah, the NRA will hand out thanks, but won't actively support the cause. Here's what I got from the NRA-ILA regarding SM.

[align=center]Attack on Open Carry Defeated in South Milwaukee![/align]

[align=center]Thank You for Making Your Voices Heard![/align]

On Tuesday, June 16, the South Milwaukee City Council defeated an anti-gun ordinance that would have placed further restrictions on the open carrying and possession of firearms in the city. The vote was tied 4-4 and the Mayor, the tie-breaking vote, declined to vote.

This is an important development for the Second Amendment in Wisconsin. Some municipalities in the Badger State have felt emboldened to pass ordinances restricting the open carrying of firearms in reaction to the statement issued by Wisconsin Attorney General J. B. Van Hollen (R) on the subject.

There has been solid communication thus far between NRA and some members of these city councils to make them aware of the limitations provided by the state preemption law passed in 1995. This law restricts municipalities from passing any firearm ordinance more stringent then current state law. Some were already aware and worked hard to educate their colleagues.

Thank you to all of the NRA members who took action in opposition to this measure. Without you, this victory would not have been possible.

Please continue checking your email and http://www.NRAILA.org for updates on this and other issues impacting our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well,

I've heard back from one of the lawyers I contacted today. He has agreed to do the research for us!:celebrate

He said he has a team of 12 lawyers he can put on the research. Evidently,lawyers need something to do in a slow economy as well.:p After the research is done though he would like to recomend a different lawyer with more experience firearm related matters to actually try the case.

So, that's my news for now.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The attorney asked that I send my research so I did. I sent him a big pile of it and then I thought better of it and sent him this abrieviated version. This version reads more like a lawsuit....:lol: BTW, See if you can see the extra nugget I threw in for the attorney.

That the Wisconsin Constitution, Article I, Section 25 guarantees:
The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

That Wisconsin Stat. § 948.605 is unconstitutional:
The many overlapping “school zones” that Wisconsin state statute § 948.605 creates, eviscerate the right of the people in urban areas to bear arms for defense and for any other lawful purposes.

[“Case law reveals that while the right to bear arms for lawful purposes is not an absolute, neither is the State's police power when it eviscerates this constitutionally protected right. Article I, Section 25 does not establish an unfettered right to bear arms. Clearly, the State retains the power to impose reasonable regulations on weapons, including a general prohibition on the carrying of concealed weapons. However, the State may not apply these regulations in situations that functionally disallow the exercise of the rights conferred under Article I, Section 25.” State V. Hamdan]

Although law abiding citizens follow the law, criminals commonly ignore the law and the area within 1000 feet of school property is not free of gun related crime. [See MPD school zone map with homicide locations attached] The need of the people; for self defense in these areas, substantially outweighs the states need to enforce the statute.

That the Wisconsin Stat. § 948.605 is in direct conflict with Wisconsin Stat. § 941.23:
§ 948.605 provides that for a citizen to walk through a school zone; that person must have their firearm unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. [see Wisconsin Stat § 939.22 (10) “Dangerous weapon” means any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded…] Because a person walking through a school zone with a firearm is governed by both statutes compliance with one is lack of compliance with the other.

[ State v. Alloy, 616 N.W.2d 525 (Wis. App. 2000) (affirming concealed carry conviction of man possessing handgun in a vehicle in conformity with Wisconsin Stat. § 167.31 because “Alloy's argument is based on the false assertion that he was trapped by a conflict between Wis. Stat. § 167.31 and Wis. Stat. § 941.23. A person transporting a firearm is governed by both statutes. To comply with § 167.31, the person must encase the weapon. To comply with § 941.23, he or she must place the enclosed weapon out of reach. See State v. Asfoor, 75 Wis.2d 411, 433-34, 249 N.W.2d 529 (1977). A person complying with § 167.31 is not required to violate § 941.23. The encased weapon can be lawfully transported out of reach.”)]

A person walking with an encased, unloaded firearm cannot walk with the weapon out of reach.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Sent an e-mail to the Bob and Tom show. Lets see if we can get Mike or J Pierce or Nik on the show. Maybe if more of us email we can make this happen. it is a national show but thousands of people in wisconsin listen to this show on a daily basis and maybe we can get some commercials in during the interview at no cost. who knows stranger things have happened.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Haven't spoken to him recently, but he is ready to go. He'd file for $1,000 to cover his overhead and costs and $4,000 could be paid over time. Appeals would be another $5,000.

He'd file tomorrow if we got $1,000 together. I don't think anyone has come to a conclusion if this is the best route or perhaps a local attorney. But he's ready to go if we want him.

protias

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Haven't spoken to him recently, but he is ready to go. He'd file for $1,000 to cover his overhead and costs and $4,000 could be paid over time. Appeals would be another $5,000.

He'd file tomorrow if we got $1,000 together. I don't think anyone has come to a conclusion if this is the best route or perhaps a local attorney. But he's ready to go if we want him.

Where can we donate?