• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When Dogs Attack. Self Defense Against Animals?

Mr Face

lol. There is no state where it's illegal to shoot a dog in self-defense, or where a driver must risk life and limb to avoid an animal in the road.

Troll.

The above post intiated the discussion about the
specific law in all 50 states. I did not state anything about law in my post previous to the one above or any prior to that.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Is your dog leashed or behind a fence? You do know that the city/county/state has a easement off public roads, and most private communities the HOA also has a easement whether there is a sidewalk or not. Having your dog growl or bark in a aggressive manner IMO would be assault, or GATTOP. In fact you should delete your post as it could be used against you if something should happen with your dog, it could clearly go to intent, and make a bad situation much worse.

My dogs did bite a burglar, they still took the dogs away for 10 days. I got them back, but then I made no statements such as yours. If dogs are trained to attack, and they do, and the authorities have prove they can euthanize them.

If you edit your post I will edit mine so there is no obvious trail to your post. Though once in the internet I would imagine it could be found. Think before you post.

Last edited:

Jamesm760

My dogs did bite a burglar, they still took the dogs away for 10 days. I got them back, but then I made no statements such as yours. If dogs are trained to attack, and they do, and the authorities have prove they can euthanize them.

Its a sad day when the law protects a burgler over your dogs for protecting their home. Post Deleted.

Last edited:

HyDef

I've had three "incidents" with dogs, all pit bulls. The first turned out great, the dog "tackled" an elderly woman as she exited a restaurant I was eating at. I ran outside to find the dog licking the woman who was unhurt, super friendly dog. Was carrying, thought I was going to have to draw but didn't need to in the end.

The second incident involved me having to shoot a dog which had killed a puppy and was attacking the lady walking it.
http://wnep.com/2012/09/18/cops-woman-dog-attacked-by-pit-bull/

The third incident involved a loose pit trying to get at another woman's dog, which she had picked up. I stepped between the woman and pit and called 911, keeping it away until police arrived. The dog was circling trying to get at the small dog but didn't attack, my feeling was that the dog would have eventually attacked if I hadn't intervened. Perhaps the memory of the second incident, which had happened only 6 moths earlier, led me to think that way.

I was also carrying, concealed, at the third incident and I'm glad it turned out okay. This was happening right in front of the federal courthouse, lol.

In all three of these incidents, the dog's were running free without their owners even knowing, they weren't cases of the dogs breaking free from leashes while being walked.

WalkingWolf

Its a sad day when the law protects a burgler over your dogs for protecting their home. Post Deleted.

Actually it did not protect the burglar, it is just the way it is anytime a dog bites or scratches. Even when they have had their shots they are held for 10 days. Think of it as administrative leave, though it is not payed, and I did have to pay boarding. I have a fenced yard and he was in my shed when they got him, so other than the boarding there were no fines for me.

Jamesm760

I've had three "incidents" with dogs, all pit bulls. The first turned out great, the dog "tackled" an elderly woman as she exited a restaurant I was eating at. I ran outside to find the dog licking the woman who was unhurt, super friendly dog. Was carrying, thought I was going to have to draw but didn't need to in the end.

The second incident involved me having to shoot a dog which had killed a puppy and was attacking the lady walking it.
http://wnep.com/2012/09/18/cops-woman-dog-attacked-by-pit-bull/

The third incident involved a loose pit trying to get at another woman's dog, which she had picked up. I stepped between the woman and pit and called 911, keeping it away until police arrived. The dog was circling trying to get at the small dog but didn't attack, my feeling was that the dog would have eventually attacked if I hadn't intervened. Perhaps the memory of the second incident, which had happened only 6 moths earlier, led me to think that way.

I was also carrying, concealed, at the third incident and I'm glad it turned out okay. This was happening right in front of the federal courthouse, lol.

In all three of these incidents, the dog's were running free without their owners even knowing, they weren't cases of the dogs breaking free from leashes while being walked.

I would like to thank you for not shooting the dogs until they actually bit the person, And I want to apologize on for all the $hit pit-bull owners that just like the breed so they can look like "tough asses withe their boyz", they give the breed a bad name.

Last edited:

MKEgal

WalkingWolf said:
Hopefully the mods will step in to put a stop to his trollery. I usually do not go for banning members for them trolling, but when a member only trolls, and then disregards the rules and that seems to be his only purpose he needs to go buh bye.
They ban it, it shows up under another name, they ban it again.
Best thing to do is keep reporting it & don't reply to its nonsense.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
we have recently aquired a Pit. we call her that as the Bull seems to be removed from her. she is just a house pooch, sappy, and loveable, almost to the point of gooey. well behaved, doesnt even menace the cats. when she has gotten out the neighbors have said; well, when we heard/saw pit bull we thought oh no, but this dog is just plain sweet. she has the instinct in her, and can indeed be played 'up' to 'eat you' level, but that takes instigating, and following through. otherwise she rates up there with the top pooches of my lifetime.

* i only know of a 'couple of people i'd like to feed to her. i'd like to see her aquire a taste for bums and low lifes.

Who are those people McX?

1245A Defender

Well,

My old friend, MCX, that beautiful dog is not a pit bull. Maybe a somtim sompit, cant tell for sure. St Bernard/Mix?
But she is on the couch, whats up with that?
My best dog was a 37 lbs. cocker/Afgan,
My next dog was a 40 lbs bleuhealer,
Both my dogs learned to live and like the things I liked and Cared for,
They cared for babies and our cat friends, they were gentle, they were protective, and loving,
they didnt hurt anything unless it was needed.
My dogs were, Cocao and Magie. Your new dog seems swell, love her well, I know from my eperiance,
You will miss her when she is gone, somtimes I want to cry...

EMNofSeattle

It is a Federal Law violation to use pesticides for other than their intended purpose.
You may as well use something designed to discourage an animal attack... available at Fleet Farm or Dick's, etc..
pDSP1-8907978p275w.jpg

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10842462

cite please

EMNofSeattle

40 cfr 152

That's not a law. that's an administrative regulation.

the correct law is 7 USC 136J, actually.

while technically illegal, if your use of force (in this case pesticidal spray) was justified under state law, I doubt the US Attorney will come after you, so many people like to throw around this and that federal law that says you can't do xyz, in most cases these are people not familiar with how the federal justice system works..... US Attorney's are very self-important people, unless you wasp spray his cousin I wouldn't worry about that law....

Wasp spray is a dumb idea because it's an ineffective weapon....

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
B: There is no need to cite laws which do not exist. In fact, one cannot cite that which doesn't exist.

I am writing such a reference book now, not yet ready for publication...

Lets see ... 3,450,432 things that are legal: twirling around until you get dizzy
3,450,433 things that are legal: aiding someone to twirl around until they get dizzy, consensual of course

bill gray

A cane as a weapon

I spend winters in Puerto Rico and there are a lot of stray dogs and pets allowed to roam free. I carry a cane from Canemasters which has a large and open crook. That allows the cane to be twirled in a windmill or figure eight pattern. It will drive dogs off every time. They hate a moving stick and it will give a heavy blow if needed. Works on two legged critters too and you start off with in your hand and ready to go. Go to the website (canemasters.com) and watch the on line videos. By the way, the cane looks good, people open doors for you, you can board airliners first and you go to the head of the line at Disneyworld.

WalkingWolf

I spend winters in Puerto Rico and there are a lot of stray dogs and pets allowed to roam free. I carry a cane from Canemasters which has a large and open crook. That allows the cane to be twirled in a windmill or figure eight pattern. It will drive dogs off every time. They hate a moving stick and it will give a heavy blow if needed. Works on two legged critters too and you start off with in your hand and ready to go. Go to the website (canemasters.com) and watch the on line videos. By the way, the cane looks good, people open doors for you, you can board airliners first and you go to the head of the line at Disneyworld.

They are a tad expensive for a wood cane. I use a dogwood walking stick, but could just as easily make a PR Cane out of a piece of good wood for much less. If I am going to spend $100 for a cane it better be something special.