• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When is the vote for open carry happening in Oklahoma again?

Mirge

Everyone of the bills went to their respective committees for a second reading IE Judiciary, Rules, and Public Safety. for a second reading. This was done on 2/8/11

Ah thanks... man, I'd be lost w/out you guys.

What is expected to happen now? Is there a schedule/calendar of events that makes this a little more understandable?

hrdware

Personal Bill Tracking

If you go to this site, you can set up a personal list of bills to follow for the legislative session.

Personally, I am following the bills listed below:
HB1400 Crimes and punishments; firearms carried in certain manner
HB1439 Crimes and punishments; expand right to use deadly force
HB1463 Concealed handguns on college property
HB1470 Firearms; clarifying manner in which firearms may be carried by handgun licensees
HB1553 Carrying concealed handgun in certain places; modifying and deleting provisions
HB1647 Authorizing issuance of lifetime concealed handgun licenses for military personnel
HB1652 Concealed handguns; deleting technology center schools from list of prohibited places
HB1653 Unlawful carry of firearms; clarifying penalty provisions
HB1796 Legislative referendum; open carry of firearms
HB1838 Firearms; exceptions to unlawful carry provisions for Legislature
HB1911 Possession of firearms
HB1913 Concealed handgun licenses
HB2087 Crimes and punishments; concealed carry on college campuses
HB2126 Crimes and punishments; concealed handguns on technology center school property
HB2134 Firearms; unlawful carrying of firearms; punishment
HR1004 House rules; bills and joint resolutions; hearings
SB174 Shools - curriculum - sporting clays as permissible elective
SB856 Self-Defense Act - conditions for carrying firearm
SB858 Firearms - unlawful carry - college and university property
SB896 Handguns - carrying concealed on higher education property

Simply enter the bill number in the box at the top left of that page (multiple bills can be entered separated by a comma) and click Add to List. Then click Save List so you don't have to re-enter all the time. Click the Retrieve List and you can see the status of all bills you are tracking.

http://www.okhouse.gov is the House of Representatives site and you can see the various calendars for committees so you can see when they meet. Not sure if they will post what the committee is dealing with that day or not. The senate has a similar site, http://www.oksenate.gov that probably lists the same type of info for them.

Mirge

If you go to this site, you can set up a personal list of bills to follow for the legislative session.

Personally, I am following the bills listed below:
HB1400 Crimes and punishments; firearms carried in certain manner
HB1439 Crimes and punishments; expand right to use deadly force
HB1463 Concealed handguns on college property
HB1470 Firearms; clarifying manner in which firearms may be carried by handgun licensees
HB1553 Carrying concealed handgun in certain places; modifying and deleting provisions
HB1647 Authorizing issuance of lifetime concealed handgun licenses for military personnel
HB1652 Concealed handguns; deleting technology center schools from list of prohibited places
HB1653 Unlawful carry of firearms; clarifying penalty provisions
HB1796 Legislative referendum; open carry of firearms
HB1838 Firearms; exceptions to unlawful carry provisions for Legislature
HB1911 Possession of firearms
HB1913 Concealed handgun licenses
HB2087 Crimes and punishments; concealed carry on college campuses
HB2126 Crimes and punishments; concealed handguns on technology center school property
HB2134 Firearms; unlawful carrying of firearms; punishment
HR1004 House rules; bills and joint resolutions; hearings
SB174 Shools - curriculum - sporting clays as permissible elective
SB856 Self-Defense Act - conditions for carrying firearm
SB858 Firearms - unlawful carry - college and university property
SB896 Handguns - carrying concealed on higher education property

Simply enter the bill number in the box at the top left of that page (multiple bills can be entered separated by a comma) and click Add to List. Then click Save List so you don't have to re-enter all the time. Click the Retrieve List and you can see the status of all bills you are tracking.

http://www.okhouse.gov is the House of Representatives site and you can see the various calendars for committees so you can see when they meet. Not sure if they will post what the committee is dealing with that day or not. The senate has a similar site, http://www.oksenate.gov that probably lists the same type of info for them.

Phenomenal, thank you so much!

Here's the comma separated list in case anybody else wants to follow:

HB1400,HB1439,HB1463,HB1470,HB1553,HB1647,HB1652,HB1653,HB1796,HB1838,HB1911,HB1913,HB2087,HB2126,HB2134,HR1004,SB174,SB856,SB858,SB896

hrdware

No telling......

Hmmm ok. Do we know a rough estimate of when we might find out about these bills being voted on?

Unfortunately no. Most of the bill have been referred to the Public Safety Committee. This committee meets (i believe) every Wednesday at 10:30. I have not seen any of these bills on the agenda. Keep in mind that the first meeting was 2/9 and it was canceled due to weather.

Also, keep in mind that the committee chair, Rep. Sue Tibbs (R)-Dist 23, can decide if a bill is heard in committee or not and when it will be heard. IIRC, Rep Tibbs is not a fan of open carry and it was almost not heard last session in committee because she did not want to bring it up.

Whenever the committee does get around to voting on it, if it passes, they bring it back to the house and either place it on the consent calendar or put it on the agenda for a vote. The consent calendar is basically for non-controversial bills so they don't have to take the time to have debate on them on the floor...kind of an automatic pass. Once the floor debates and votes or it passes the consent calendar, the bill goes to the other legislative body (house or senate) where it then gets assigned another committee and goes through the same process. When/if the second body passes, it goes back to the original body with or without amendments. If there are amendments then those have to be voted on. This process goes back and forth until both bodies have a version they both agree upon. At this point it can go to the governor for signature or veto.

I will try and keep an eye on these things and keep this thread updated as to when things will be heard in conference and when the floor votes will occur. No promises though.

Mirge

Unfortunately no. Most of the bill have been referred to the Public Safety Committee. This committee meets (i believe) every Wednesday at 10:30. I have not seen any of these bills on the agenda. Keep in mind that the first meeting was 2/9 and it was canceled due to weather.

Also, keep in mind that the committee chair, Rep. Sue Tibbs (R)-Dist 23, can decide if a bill is heard in committee or not and when it will be heard. IIRC, Rep Tibbs is not a fan of open carry and it was almost not heard last session in committee because she did not want to bring it up.

Whenever the committee does get around to voting on it, if it passes, they bring it back to the house and either place it on the consent calendar or put it on the agenda for a vote. The consent calendar is basically for non-controversial bills so they don't have to take the time to have debate on them on the floor...kind of an automatic pass. Once the floor debates and votes or it passes the consent calendar, the bill goes to the other legislative body (house or senate) where it then gets assigned another committee and goes through the same process. When/if the second body passes, it goes back to the original body with or without amendments. If there are amendments then those have to be voted on. This process goes back and forth until both bodies have a version they both agree upon. At this point it can go to the governor for signature or veto.

I will try and keep an eye on these things and keep this thread updated as to when things will be heard in conference and when the floor votes will occur. No promises though.

Wow, thank you very much for the thorough explanation! Had no idea it was so involved. Looks like it could be the later part of the year before we actually know anything... bummer.

hrdware

Hb 1439

House Bill 1439 is on the agenda for the Judiciary Committee for this week. The Committee meets Monday at 4:30.

This bill would expand the use of deadly force, and allow a person to use deadly force in their place of business. This includes an owner, manager or employee.

Mirge

House Bill 1439 is on the agenda for the Judiciary Committee for this week. The Committee meets Monday at 4:30.

This bill would expand the use of deadly force, and allow a person to use deadly force in their place of business. This includes an owner, manager or employee.

As silly as this makes me feel, what does that mean? It being on the agenda for Judiciary Committee that is.

Last edited:

hrdware

As silly as this makes me feel, what does that mean? It being on the agenda for Judiciary Committee that is.

It just means that the Judiciary Committee is scheduled to talk about it/hear arguments for or against, blah blah blah.

IMO, this should be a slam dunk pass. Since as Oklahomans, we have the right to stand our ground, it shouldn't matter where that ground is being stood. This just adds some language into the legislation that says we have a right to be safe in our own homes or place of business.

Mirge

It just means that the Judiciary Committee is scheduled to talk about it/hear arguments for or against, blah blah blah.

IMO, this should be a slam dunk pass. Since as Oklahomans, we have the right to stand our ground, it shouldn't matter where that ground is being stood. This just adds some language into the legislation that says we have a right to be safe in our own homes or place of business.

Ah ok, so no actual vote today for that specific bill? Sorry, I'm probably bothering you with all of the beginner questions.

hrdware

Ah ok, so no actual vote today for that specific bill? Sorry, I'm probably bothering you with all of the beginner questions.

Nope, no bother...gives me something to do :lol:

They may vote on it today, not sure. I would expect it to pass since it is just some legal-ease to put specific words to something we are already allowed to do.

hrdware

Various Bills

I decided that as things happen with the bills, I would create a new thread for each Bill. That way it will be easier to follow instead of trying to search through a massive all firearm bills thread.