• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where is the VCDL 2011 Legislative Agenda? We need to watch for it and rate it.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
Love it but why put a front sight on the thing.:lol:

Too easy...

So you can aim the fireball:
BobfiringPMS12.jpg

tkd2006

My intent was certainly not to bash VCDL. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is better off with them than it would nbe without them.

My intent with this thread was to compare different political movements to see which ones were actually most beneficial to open carry and the RKBA in the Commonwealth.

If some are upset by the P4P or the C2I2 acronyms, then please go to different threads on the boards or fight hard for constitutional carry! These acronyms have been used for a long time on the board, and they have a definite meaning and connotation in the Virginia sub-forum.

My wish list for the legislative session:

Constitutional Carry

This ends the squabbling over open vs. concealed carry and resores concealed carry from a priveledge to a right in the eyes of the court.

Virginia Firearms Freedom Act

(Tied to the necessity of a Virginia Militia free from Federal oversite) Firearms Freedom Acts are being struck down on federal supremacy grounds. The US constitution calls for states to have an independent militia. Making the Firearms Freedom Act a necessary part of the State Militia would be much harder for Eric Holder to stop.

Repeal of the Virginia Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) Check

The Virginia system is broken, costs Virginia taxpayers money and the VSP routinely exceed their general assembley granted authority in implementing CHRI Checks.

Simply amazing Thundar.
I see you want one bill Virginia Firearms Freedom Act which as you say is Tied to the necessity of a Virginia Militia free from Federal oversite but yet you are so willing to give the Feds tha ability to control who gets a firearm in Va. I dont understand either you are for Big govt or against it. The way i see it Virginias system is not broken hell if it was broken the federal system would not be based on it.
Here is another way to look at it. Lets say you try to buy a gun in Va and get denied because somene has used your name, soc, dob when they got arrested and got convicted of a felony. Under current rules/law i believe Va will have this sorted out with in 7 days of receiveing all information needed for an appeal. I think the feds are up to 160 days now. Seems like a long time to wait in my opinion. Yeah i guess you could say well my record is currently clean so why worry well it could still happen when you least expect it and then having to wait to get this straight would be crazy esp if its 160 days vs 7.

DontTreadOnMeVa

I can not express how upset I am that no parking lot bill has been put forth yet. The fact that many have to decide between risking their jobs and not being able to carry wile commuting for work is unacceptable.

I hope that their is a bill in the works and has just not been announced yet.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
Are We Getting Closer to Constitutional Carry?!?

My intent was certainly not to bash VCDL. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is better off with them than it would nbe without them.

My intent with this thread was to compare different political movements to see which ones were actually most beneficial to open carry and the RKBA in the Commonwealth.

If some are upset by the P4P or the C2I2 acronyms, then please go to different threads on the boards or fight hard for constitutional carry! These acronyms have been used for a long time on the board, and they have a definite meaning and connotation in the Virginia sub-forum.

My wish list for the legislative session:

Constitutional Carry

This ends the squabbling over open vs. concealed carry and resores concealed carry from a priveledge to a right in the eyes of the court.

Virginia Firearms Freedom Act

(Tied to the necessity of a Virginia Militia free from Federal oversite) Firearms Freedom Acts are being struck down on federal supremacy grounds. The US constitution calls for states to have an independent militia. Making the Firearms Freedom Act a necessary part of the State Militia would be much harder for Eric Holder to stop.

Repeal of the Virginia Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) Check

The Virginia system is broken, costs Virginia taxpayers money and the VSP routinely exceed their general assembley granted authority in implementing CHRI Checks.

Would House Bill 2069 (http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?ses=111&typ=bil&val=hb2069) get us closer to Constitutional Carry? Are there any flaws with this bill? Is there enough support for this bill? I am just trying to find out from the crowd. Thanks in advance for your comments!

Last edited:

Thundar

Simply amazing Thundar.
I see you want one bill Virginia Firearms Freedom Act which as you say is Tied to the necessity of a Virginia Militia free from Federal oversite but yet you are so willing to give the Feds tha ability to control who gets a firearm in Va. I dont understand either you are for Big govt or against it. The way i see it Virginias system is not broken hell if it was broken the federal system would not be based on it.
Here is another way to look at it. Lets say you try to buy a gun in Va and get denied because somene has used your name, soc, dob when they got arrested and got convicted of a felony. Under current rules/law i believe Va will have this sorted out with in 7 days of receiveing all information needed for an appeal. I think the feds are up to 160 days now. Seems like a long time to wait in my opinion. Yeah i guess you could say well my record is currently clean so why worry well it could still happen when you least expect it and then having to wait to get this straight would be crazy esp if its 160 days vs 7.

1) The Virginia Firearms Freedom Act would allow Virginians the ability to make, buy, sell and trade Virginia made firearms without federal interference from the BATFE, FBI or any other federal alphabet soup agency.

2) Other states firearms freedom acts are having a hard time getting around the supremacy clause in the US constitution. The US Constitution makes the creation and maintenance of militias a specific duty of the states. A firearms freedom act whose primary purpose is to support a state militia will have a much easier time getting around the supremacy clause.

3) I am for smaller government at all levels.

4) The feds already get a veto vote for any firearm that a citizen tries to purchase in Virginia. The Federal NICs check is a required component of a Virginia CHRI check. Virginia State Police cannot "fix" out of state identity problems, and fixing criminal history identity problems within the Commonwealth is not dependent upon who initiates a background check.

5) The Virginia State Police will maintain the Commonwealth Criminal database, which is used for more than just firearms purchase checks, no matter what entity initiates the check, so I am not sure where this fear of the fed comes from

6) Bothe the federal and commonwealth systems are, IMHO, broken. Moreover both are unnecessary and overburdensome. Whole industries have sprouted up in response to the regulatory requirements imposed upon law abiding citizens.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
I think you could go up to 38mm and at that point "man portable" becomes difficult. I think a 40 Bofors barrel from the l60 weighs ~300 pounds.

I suppose that as an incremental step it's not moving backwards but the avoidance of tangling with NFA is troubling. As if they know it's a loser and it's not (necessarily).
NFA law isn't my strong suit but I thought a sporting purpose exemption was necessary for fixed ammunition weapons over .50 caliber, otherwise a weapon would be NFA, a destructive device? Maybe they are trying to take on the low hanging fruit of NFA, non MG and non explosive weapons?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
NFA law isn't my strong suit but I thought a sporting purpose exemption was necessary for fixed ammunition weapons over .50 caliber, otherwise a weapon would be NFA, a destructive device? Maybe they are trying to take on the low hanging fruit of NFA, non MG and non explosive weapons?

Over 50 is NFA unless designated for sporting purposes Longwatch. That's why I have to configure the heads in 12ga for the 730DDR.

At least in theory, the made in Va, used in Va law would supersede the NFA designation.

tkd2006

4) The feds already get a veto vote for any firearm that a citizen tries to purchase in Virginia. The Federal NICs check is a required component of a Virginia CHRI check. Virginia State Police cannot "fix" out of state identity problems, and fixing criminal history identity problems within the Commonwealth is not dependent upon who initiates a background check.

Are you sure about this. When you say the FEDS get a veto vote how does this happen. Do you think a check is run by the feds and they tell the VSP that its ok to sell a gun or to deny someone. I hope you understand the NICS check is nothing more than a data base that is queried along with NCIC. They do not have a veto vote on any firearm purchase in Va. The VSP make all decisions period on purchases.
Also you say Virginia State Police can not fix out of state identity problems you are wrong on this as well. They may issue UFINs based on fingerprint comparisons which are done in a matter of days rather than months on the federal level. This process is much quicker on the state level and it works out faster for the person that is purchasing.

Thundar

Are you sure about this. When you say the FEDS get a veto vote how does this happen. Do you think a check is run by the feds and they tell the VSP that its ok to sell a gun or to deny someone.

Yes. The VSP contact the NICs operations center for a querry of the NICS database as part of the Virginia CHRI.

It says so right in the Virginia Firearms Transaction Program i paragraphs I.A.4 and VI.B

VSP do not issue Dealers an electronic copy so I can't post the link, sorry.

TFred

tkd2006

So you think the State police actually speak with NICS employees on each transaction. They do not

NICS has no say over a transaction in VA the decision is made the State police not NICS. The querry
on their data base done is in the same process as the check on VCIN. NICS does not get involved with
a transaction in Virginia unless someone wants to appeal a denial to them rather than the State police.

Look i know some people think NICS is contacted for a firearm check and they say ok hes fine as far
as we are concerned and then the State police do another check and then make a decision but nothing
could be further from the truth.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I can not express how upset I am that no parking lot bill has been put forth yet. The fact that many have to decide between risking their jobs and not being able to carry wile commuting for work is unacceptable.

I hope that their is a bill in the works and has just not been announced yet.

Have you identified a patron to carry said bill?