• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

which company makes the best 1911?

Statesman

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Statesman wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Kimbers have had really bad quality control issues in recent years, from virtually all accounts.
I read about these alleged quality control issues prior to my purchase of a Kimber, but could not substantiate the claims. Issues with Kimbers that I read about, and to my knowledge, were due to the short barrel (Ultras) not feeding hollow point ammo reliably, which can be a problem with any short barrel 1911. Virtually all of these issues to my knowledge have been corrected by purchasing Wilson Combat magazines, and breaking in the gun with at least 500 FMJ rounds. I've been told to throw the supplied magazines in a box, and get Wilson Combat mags.

If there are any quality control issues, I think it's in regards to their magazines. They should start including KimPro mags instead of the standard issues.
There seems to be something to be said for that. However, I have not had good luck myself with KimPro 8-rounders. The 7-rnd ones are great, however, that's what I carry. So far, the only 8-rounder I have with a spring good enough for the mag to retain proper functionality is a Chip McCormick Shooting Star, which I use as a backup mag for snake shot (in the event I carrry any).
Try both the 7 and 8 round Wilson Combat mags. I've never had a feeding issue, even with hollowpoints in my Kimber ultra. They are way expensive, but they feed great! The bumper pads are a nice look too.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Statesman wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Statesman wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Kimbers have had really bad quality control issues in recent years, from virtually all accounts.
I read about these alleged quality control issues prior to my purchase of a Kimber, but could not substantiate the claims.  Issues with Kimbers that I read about, and to my knowledge, were due to the short barrel (Ultras) not feeding hollow point ammo reliably, which can be a problem with any short barrel 1911.  Virtually all of these issues to my knowledge have been corrected by purchasing Wilson Combat magazines, and breaking in the gun with at least 500 FMJ rounds.  I've been told to throw the supplied magazines in a box, and get Wilson Combat mags.

If there are any quality control issues, I think it's in regards to their magazines.  They should start including KimPro mags instead of the standard issues. 
There seems to be something to be said for that. However, I have not had good luck myself with KimPro 8-rounders. The 7-rnd ones are great, however, that's what I carry. So far, the only 8-rounder I have with a spring good enough for the mag to retain proper functionality is a Chip McCormick Shooting Star, which I use as a backup mag for snake shot (in the event I carrry any).
Try both the 7 and 8 round Wilson Combat mags.  I've never had a feeding issue, even with hollowpoints in my Kimber ultra.  They are way expensive, but they feed great!  The bumper pads are a nice look too.
Good idea, I think I'll buy some of these next.

arentol

imported post

Statesman wrote:
arentol wrote:
Statesman wrote:

Have you not considered Wilson Combat or Ed Brown 1911s ?

Based on the OP's question and interested in Springfield and Taurus I assumed he wasn't referring to companies that make 2k+ "custom" firearms like Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Fusion, DL Sports, etc.. Therefore, as I stated, I kept this to companies that mostly sell 1911's for $1500 or less.
Good point. I guess "affordable" is a subjective constraint when compared to income. ;) I've held, and dry fired an Ed Brown. Very tight fitting piece! It's something everyone has to experience for theirselves.
Yeah, if I win the lottery I am getting a couple of DLsports professional model longslides (watchmen style if I can get them), as well as one of his Compact Customer CR-45's:

http://www.dlsports.com/signature_firearms_1911.html

Until then though I am sticking with a Dan Wesson RZ-10 and a DW Heritage with Aluma-Grip Watchmen grips.

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]

[/font]